Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Smoking while pregnant. Is it child abuse?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A large kack of heavy cloud

As tobacco products become even more expensive and the warnings about their use even stronger is it time that society intervenes when an expectant mother smokes, for the sake of her unborn child?

The steady advance of laws to prevent smoking have now created a situation where it is legal for a woman to smoke through pregnancy, but illegal to smoke in the car with her child on her way home from the hospital.

Banning smoking during pregnancy. Is it the next step? 

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Both smoking and drinking during pregnancy are discouraged, drinking causes problem with the fetus now a known fact.

However, cigarettes they are not sure whether smoking gets to an unborn child or not. I can confirm that I didn't do either during pregnancy, but still have a child that shows mild ADHD tendencies, and another who is definitely got something going on, although I can't seem to get anyone to listen.

It's not child abuse, but parents, both the father and mother should think about whether they should smoke during pregnancy, or near the mother of an unborn child.

• Like 2
    Posted

Yes it is abuse but the rights of unborn people are diminishing every day, so it will never become a law.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Both alcohol and smoking pass small parts to the baby. Alcohol is less dangerous as the foetus is more able to process the alcohol, current advice is a small glass of wine every now and then whereas smoking at all is still advised against.

I think any sensible expectant mother should probably just avoid anything that is known to harm the baby within reason.

Laws often don't make sense. I'm still not sure how it's legal to perform circumcisions and pierce babies ears but there you go.

Posted

One of the many sources of information out there which strongly suggests a pregnant smoker causes harm to her unborn child.

https://www.verywellmind.com/risks-of-smoking-during-pregnancy-2825267

Posted

Worth noting too that according to 2017 NHS figures, 10.5% of UK babies are born to mothers who have smoked during pregnancy. So it's not a small number we're talking about here.

Posted
    21 hours ago, Dougal said:

Is it the next step? 

I think the next step is the banning of tobacco.  Raise the age limit by a year every year for say 15-20 years then ban its general sale, those who have been unable to quit after this date will have to apply to get a licence to continue to buy tobacco products.

Let's be honest if tobacco was discovered now it would be a Class A drug.  Unlike alcohol (the other main legal drug) it has no health benefits even if taken in moderation, can't see any real arguments that anyone could present against its banning.

• Like 1
    • 1 month later...
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, electric storms
    On 22/06/2018 at 18:15, Sardonixs said:

I think the next step is the banning of tobacco.  Raise the age limit by a year every year for say 15-20 years then ban its general sale, those who have been unable to quit after this date will have to apply to get a licence to continue to buy tobacco products.

Let's be honest if tobacco was discovered now it would be a Class A drug.  Unlike alcohol (the other main legal drug) it has no health benefits even if taken in moderation, can't see any real arguments that anyone could present against its banning.

heroin, cocaine, lsd, magic mushrooms, cannabis,crack, methamphetamine, speed etc are all banned substances, war has been waged on them for years, has it worked?

no

just created a very lucrative black market, if there is demand there will always be supply.

• Like 2
    Posted

I think this is an incredible argument, I don't disagree that smoking a lot while pregnant could possibly harm an unborn child. However the reality is that an unborn child is at far greater risk just living in a city or town, with pollutants likely to be the cause in the increasing numbers of autism, ADHT, and respiratory disorders.

A car produces 1000 times the pollutants of a cigarette, I think we could improve health and the welfare of the unborn by simply ensuring that all exhaust pipes face into the center of the road and not into young children's faces on the pavement. This argument is like taking the leaves off a tree that is in danger of falling down!         

Posted
    2 hours ago, HighPressure said:

I think this is an incredible argument, I don't disagree that smoking a lot while pregnant could possibly harm an unborn child. However the reality is that an unborn child is at far greater risk just living in a city or town, with pollutants likely to be the cause in the increasing numbers of autism, ADHT, and respiratory disorders.

A car produces 1000 times the pollutants of a cigarette, I think we could improve health and the welfare of the unborn by simply ensuring that all exhaust pipes face into the center of the road and not into young children's faces on the pavement. This argument is like taking the leaves off a tree that is in danger of falling down!         

Agreed.

I wonder how  many fags a non smoker 'smokes'  walking around a busy road?

And with  ever more houses needed, and the cars to go with them, it will get far worse.

Pollution is the danger now, not smoking.

Edited by DAVID SNOW
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Why not tackle both?

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Both of my parents smoked but this was 1950 when the tobacco companies claimed that smoking didn't just not harm your health but a benefit ("Smoke Craven A cigarettes for your throat's sake" - actual '50s ad).  A claim that was vigorously and thoroughly refuted in 1956.

I was born four weeks premature which is risky nowadays let alone in 1950 (the NHS only came into being a year earlier) and have a congenital heart defect that was only discovered in 2001 when I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.  I'm also Aspie however that can be genetic.

Car pollution wouldn't have been a concern as there were very few cars on the road compared with now but of course we had pollution from coal fires.

I still smoke and i still climb  mountain's  23000 ft till date ,sick of the pc crap that s associated with it ,ban it and watch vat rise to 25 % to cover the treasury  shortfall another reason I m glad to be leaving this rancid isle

• Like 1
    • 1 year later...
    Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, Greater Manchester, in the historic West Riding of Yorkshire. 200m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: I like Spring. Because some Springs you can sunbathe. Some you can sledge.
  • Location: Saddleworth, Greater Manchester, in the historic West Riding of Yorkshire. 200m a.s.l

I know a good few Mothers to be who just simply couldn't do it. They just couldn't give up. 

All of which were incredibly lucky as the birth was okay. 

A few then given up since .. but some remain heavy smokers and will do so around their kid and everything.

I'm a smoker but I tend not to try and get it in a kids face