Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tour 5 2018 photography tour

John Finney

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy!

Hello, just wondering if any of the Tour 5 guests are on here?

Only days to go now... Does anyone have any questions regarding photography equipment before we head out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dark and moody with a dash of wind.

Hi John, Looking forward to Tour 5.

In terms of equipment, can you advise on the best lenses to bring. Have a Nikon D750 and Oly OMD EM1ii and have a selection of telephoto and wide angle lenses. Not all however are weather sealed or can take filters. Also which filters are recommended.

Many thanks.

Melvyn

Posted

Hi Melvyn,

I would suggest taking the widest lens you have and not worry too much about filters, but also bear in mind we might be doing some night photography, so having a wide aperture like f2.8 is an advantage for star shots and low light with storms, I think your Nikon D750 would suit this more. 

I also find a 24 70mm or 24 120mm is good for general and lightning shots, you might not use the telephoto that much and it is rare that you would need more than 200mm. But having said that I did use a 400mm for the tornadoes we saw in May on Tour 2.

As for filters, if we are chasing storms, you really won't have time for them. However, if there are not so many storms, you might get a chance to use them. I tend to bracket my images then blend them later as I find this saves weight and time when chasing. 

I wouldn't be too concerned about your kit not being weather sealed, I think it's more important about what I have mentioned above. It is not often we stand out in heavy rain for long!

Some other basic kit you will need might be obvious like a tripod and shutter release cable. 

Looking forward to meeting you in Denver, when do you land? 

Cheers

John

Posted

Hi John thanks for information. Much appreciated. I have recently returned from Astro La Palma for a night photography workshop so the chance of some night photography would be fantastic. I have a pano head for stitched panos so I will bring that along with me. If you are interested (and have time ;o)), there are some photos from the workshop on my website: www.mjmayphotography.co.uk. I also took my first time-lapse which was interesting.

I will be arriving in Denver on the 23 June at 2:15pm on the UA26 flight.

I'm looking forward to the trip as storm photography is something I've yet to experience. 

With regards to forecasts, which site would you recommend?

All the best.

Melvyn

Posted

Hi Melvyn,

Great photos you have! And you do a lot of travelling! Good stuff, you will love tornado alley!

Have a look on NOAA's site for storm forecasts...    www.spc.noaa.gov      You can also download a storm app for your phone, probably the best one out there is Radar Scope. 

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday, I arrive on Friday, we are staying at the Best Western...

See you there!

Cheers

John

Posted

Correction... I am staying at Days Inn on the Friday, not Best Western. Not sure where we are staying on Saturday at the moment. 

Posted

Thanks John and yes, I do try to travel as much as possible. I took a look at your website - wow !! Beautiful pictures and well deserved awards. I noted the eclipse photo. I've been chasing total eclipses since 1999. Missed a couple but looking forward to South America in 2019 and 20.

I've just checked the recent joining email from Paul and I will be collected on Sat from the Alamo desk and taken to the Days Inn also so hopefully we will catch up then. 

This is the first trip I have wished for stormy weather lol. I do hope we get to see some storms like those captured in your photos.

All the best.

Melvyn 

Posted

Hi @Melvyn, I emailed you a slight change of plan earlier - re taking the bus to the days inn, rather than the car rental. It should be in your inbox, but please let me know if you need me to resend it. 

Posted

Hi Paul, thanks for the post. Ive checked my email and nothing has come through. Just in case there is a typo somewhere, my address is: melboy59@me.com

All the best.

Melvyn

Posted

Hi Guys

Next week is looking VERY active. After all meeting on Saturday we will be making our way East towards Kansas for what looks like a May Type Tornado Set-Up. Monday also looks very active in N Central Kansas, not going any further with risks at this point but looking very good.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

Posted

Melvyn

When you land can you do the Following

when you get to arrivals, head to West Terminal - Level 5

Passenger Pick Up Island 3

Days Inn bus runs regularly and is Free

Me and John will be waiting for you there

Not long now