Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Describe your perfect storm scenario

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot

If you had control of the weather what would you put where in and around the UK to create your perfect convective event?

As there are some very knowledgeable weather people on here it would be very interesting to see what gets 'created'.  Or alternatively, I'd be happy to hear about a perfect convective event of the past where everything just fell into place.  

With my lack of knowledge here is mine:

It's june 30th.  Spanish plume heads up UK friday 9am baking the surface; Atlantic ex-huricane from the west hits north wales at 3pm; shortwave heads north from south coast towards Scotland 5pm

I don't know what this results in, claggy rainy mess?  If so, 29C baking sun from Saturday morning onwards then with wind shear and humidity please.

This is where I need more knowledgeable folk to step in!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Easy, a night time storm during late spring/summer, flashing away constantly, in the distance, moving slowly straight towards you, as it gets closer you can see the lightning moving around in the top of the storm, still constant. Then when it reaches a huge gust of wind followed by constant lightning still on going, and a constant rumble to go with it. Happened here may last year, don't expect to see anything like it again in my life time. It was a plume associated MCs.

The best storms are created with very hot air high dew points, high teens low twenties, high humidity, 90% or over and a reduced capping, they can haapen under high pressure, as long as the conditions on the ground can erode the cap, then it goes bang. Not quite sure how to work out that parameter.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I don't have the knowledge to know what ingredients should go where but my favourite storm would be:

Very hot and humid during the day with lots of big anvils forming. Then as evening draws in the electricity in the air feeling. Shelf cloud lurking brings that before the storm breeze, distant flashes and rumbles. Then all hell breaks loose. Constant flashes and booming thunder and torrential rain and strong winds for a good half hour. Then the wind and rain die down but still raining steadily with still constant flashes and bangs that gradually die out as the night goes on. The good old ones that used to start early evening and still be rumbling away in the morning. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A warm and clear start to the day, probably in July or August, with cumulus forming late morning as temperatures increase, then building into towering cumulonimbus in the afternoon. Around 4pm, skies darken on the southern/southwestern horizon, thunder becomes audible and then distant flickers of lightning become visible. About half an hour later, the shelf cloud approaches, the thunder and lightning is almost constant, people outside start seeking shelter and then before you know it the heavens have opened and the street outside has turned into a raging torrent of water. Then half an hour later, it's gone, the sun is out, shimmering on the wet surfaces, maybe with rising steam from evaporating water.

Those are my favourite kinds of storms.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
35 minutes ago, Another Kent clipper said:

@cheeseI can picture the rising steam scenario, kinda like a tropical shower;  sounds like a derecho or general squall line, I'd love to be in the way of one of those!

I've experienced the steam rising in both Greece and Mexico. Very cool to see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I saw steam rising after a morning shower a couple of years ago here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

We had storm fog once when i lived in Croydon. Ground dried within half hour or less, after a huge deluge. I say fog, cause that's how thick the steam was, don't think there was any hail.

• Like 1