Sign in to follow this  
Konstantinos

Is there racism against white straight men in western countries?

54 members have voted

1. 1. Is there racism against white straight men in western countries?

• Yes
    • No

The last years, having lived and worked in many countries (Greece, Germany, Poland, Russia, Ukraine, UK, the Netherlands, USA and Canada), I have noticed a kind of  racism against white straight men. First of all, you hear very often and you read about the rights of women, LGBT, blacks, gypsies, refugees, muslims, indigenous, junkies, etc and anyone except the serious white straight man who tries to survive, works strongly, some times 2 jobs, and generally speaking trying to be serious. 

So the first question is this: Do you agree that there is this kind of racism or not?

For them who agree, why does it happen? Maybe because a serious white straight man is the last one who plays in rebellious - anti-systemic mode? Maybe this one is who understands very well technology, is up-to-date in that field and this one is who understands a few things more than the others (in business, politics, society etc)? I feel that the system is afraid of only these people, because they try to develop in an autonomous smarter and dangerous for the system way.

Edited by Konstantinos

Even if there is just because I'm white that's where the similarities with snowflakes ends. ❄

I have also got a lot of other things that go on in my life to worry about ?

• Like 1

Blimey.  Properly odd thread.  Next time I meet a straight white man I'll ask him ?

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 6

In answer to the question starting this thread - Not as far as I am aware at all - All I ask is that people are decent towards each other regardless of sex, gender, sexual, orientation, creed, colour or race. 

Life is too short to go nit picking and getting on the band wagon for every imagined slight - I have more important things to worry about. 

• Like 4

Not mainstream, but yes plenty of left wing activists are.

As a white (about as white as you can get given I'm Scottish) straight man, I'm pleased to say I've never once experienced 'racism' for any of these or their combination.

For other aspects of my origins / identity yes, but never my 'white straight maleness'.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

As a white (about as white as you can get given I'm Scottish) straight man, I'm pleased to say I've never once experienced 'racism' for any of these or their combination.

For other aspects of my origins / identity yes, but never my 'white straight maleness'.

I must confess SS, that I'm still undecided as to whether this thread is even genuine; it's so sociopolitically loaded...? ?

• Like 2

I think a more interesting question is whether straight men feel unsure as to how to behave now . 

I don’t think there’s racism but suspicion . The Me Too campaign has been criticized by some as making women seem like victims and unable to stand up for themselves.

By lumping together flirtation with sexual assault it’s actually doing a disservice to the women who have suffered the latter.

And this isn’t my view but several female friends who think the campaign has gone too far .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul said:

Been trying to figure out how to reply to this thread...

I think what you're maybe describing is (I'd like to think), equality. Straight white men aren't being discriminated against, perhaps they're simply being considered on a more equal basis to LGBT+ people, black people, women etc etc. I suppose in a society which has 'traditionally' discriminated against those who aren't straight, white and male, as that changes, then those who have been benefited from that may feel like they're at a disadvantage. But the reality is that they're not, they're simply on a more level playing field when it comes to jobs, life opportunities etc.

The sad truth is though, that there's still a long way to go, people still get attacked, can't get jobs, get treated poorly etc because of their race, sexuality or gender, with straight white males very low on the list when it comes hate crime victim stats, still make up the large bulk of the board rooms at major companies and so on. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/17/top-uk-companies-women-boardroom-persimmon-bp-tui

So, quick answer to your question is no.

Exactly this, well put Paul.

I think this question is slightly loaded tbh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Not mainstream, but yes plenty of left wing activists are.

agree with this...there is a growing trend for bias if you like against straight white men in colleges and companies in silicon valley etc...google is a prime example.

There is probably discrimination, or at least prejudice, against every type of person that exists, but obviously if you're a straight white man you're going to experience considerably less of it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cheese said:

There is probably discrimination, or at least prejudice, against every type of person that exists, but obviously if you're a straight white man you're going to experience considerably less of it. 

Agreed Cheese, and I'm still trying get my head around the holes in the topic creator's hypothesis:

Having also worked alongside many folks from Eastern Europe, I have found them to be far more openly 'anti-anyone-different' than we are over here: the 'N' word is a very common epithet aimed at those whose skin happens not to glow like a freshly applied coat of brilliant white emulsion, for example...

But, have I ever experienced discrimination due to my white masculine straightness? No, absolutely not!

And, as for the loons in college campuses - they have been talking nonsense ever since the idea of free-thought first became mainstream, sometime during the Renaissance? A perpetual student, these days, would have so many anti-this and anti-that badges on his-or-her t-shirt that they'd look as ridiculous as they sound...

Why not just wait for them to grow out of it?

18 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Agreed Cheese, and I'm still trying get my head around the holes in the topic creator's hypothesis:

Having also worked alongside many folks from Eastern Europe, I have found them to be far more openly 'anti-anyone-different' than we are over here: the 'N' word is a very common epithet aimed at those whose skin happens not to glow like a freshly applied coat of brilliant white emulsion, for example...

But, have I ever experienced discrimination due to my white masculine straightness? No, absolutely not!

And, as for the loons in college campuses - they have been talking nonsense ever since the idea of free-thought first became mainstream, sometime during the Renaissance? A perpetual student, these days, would have so many anti-this and anti-that badges on his-or-her t-shirt that they'd look as ridiculous as they sound...

Why not just wait for them to grow out of it?

Yes, unfortunately that kind of mindset is quite common in Eastern Europe.

Edited by Paul
No need

Just came across this rather strange thread by accident.  The Answer No.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Just came across this rather strange thread by accident.  The Answer No.

Very odd thread indeed. And as a straight white man myself I can say no too.

• Like 1

I would say no, and white men do have it much easier than people from other minorities.

Is there racism against black men in western countries? 
Unfortunately, that is still very much the case, especially over the pond. 

But as the Louis Smith incident shows, there is still underlying racism in the UK, but generally far better than in many parts of the world.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/louis-smith-virgin-trains-black-passengers-ticket-check-first-class-olympian-a8389391.html

Edited by J10
To Clear Formatting issues
  • Like 2

My only observation is when it comes to TV advertising men generally are portrayed as either idiots or neanderthals . makes you wonder why ?

18 hours ago, 78/79 said:

My only observation is when it comes to TV advertising men generally are portrayed as either idiots or neanderthals . makes you wonder why ?

The product is more important, and they want to make it look better than the actor.

I employ several Eastern European drivers and I can say they're openly racist and homophobic ,similar to 1970s Britain 

With work i can meet many Eastern Europeans,many nurses in the dental practices i visit,it's a cultural difference more than racism or homophobia i feel,they can be very intolerant(especially in respect to racial origin) but i suspect that is how they have been brought up,it can be a real eye opener hearing their views at times,it can be like a switch how they change from talking to me to how they refer to a customer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markyo said:

With work i can meet many Eastern Europeans,many nurses in the dental practices i visit,it's a cultural difference more than racism or homophobia i feel,they can be very intolerant(especially in respect to racial origin) but i suspect that is how they have been brought up,it can be a real eye opener hearing their views at times,it can be like a switch how they change from talking to me to how they refer to a customer.

In a way it's all very reminiscent of what British mores were, back in, say, the 1970s? In many ways, quite unpleasant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

The product is more important, and they want to make it look better than the actor.

You're probably right Alexis :)

58 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

In a way it's all very reminiscent of what British mores were, back in, say, the 1970s? In many ways, quite unpleasant.

Yep,totally agree Ed,they have nearly 50 years of catching up to do,not all by any means but a significant number do. 

• Like 1

As a white heterosexual male, I don't think there are significant amounts of racism against white heterosexual men but I do think the privileges associated with being a white heterosexual man come with costs, notably emotional repression.  Since the late 19th century, white heterosexual British men have tended to be seen as superior partly because of a perception that they are led by logic rather than emotion, and that emotions are the opposite of rationality.  They have tended to lose a lot of their privilege and in some cases be seen as sexually suspect if they acted in ways that were perceived as associated with females, homosexuals or ethnic minorities. 

An upshot is that even today, white heterosexual British men are plagued by stigmas along the lines of "social sharing of emotions is sexually suspect" and "you can't say you love your friends, because if you do, it means sex".  There are certainly situations where being a white heterosexual male can be a disadvantage, as I often encounter double standards where it is considered inappropriate for me to express my feelings but relatively appropriate for a woman or gay man or foreign heterosexual man to express the same feelings in the same time and place.  These stigmas crop up insidiously in unexpected places: I am pretty certain for example that the recent prohibitions against adults showing affection towards other people's children owe much to the tendency for the old "if a white heterosexual man loves his friends, it means sex" stigma to cross-fertilise with the recent paranoia over child sexual abuse.   An upshot is that white heterosexual men tend to be very dependent on a female partner for emotional support in middle age, which is dangerous for their mental health.

But can we reasonably call it discrimination against white heterosexual men when it has essentially arisen as a side-effect of privileging them?  For example, note that while white heterosexual men's friendships with children have taken a massive hit, gay and/or black men are still disproportionately vulnerable to being seen as a threat to children on homophobic/racist grounds.  It's a difficult issue as I am so used to having the above issues dismissed with "It's not a big deal, and you need to check your privilege, suck it up and get on with it", and "the minority have to spoil it for everybody else" (where it's argued that all white heterosexual men are being penalised for the acts of a minority of sexual predators, which disguises the true, sexist/homophobic/racist, origins of many of the stigmas).  I think if we don't make an effort to address these hidden costs of white straight male privilege it may well limit our ability to break down the related stigmas against women, ethnic minorities and homosexuals.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers