Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Changes to images in posts

Posted

Hi, we're experimenting with a change to the way you can post images to the forum in that remote images are currently disabled. 

Up to now, there have been a couple of ways to upload an image to a post, the most popular way is that you download the image to your computer or mobile device and then upload it into your post using the uploader in the post editor.

The second way was to copy and paste the link to an image into your post, which although quick and simple, has tended to create some problems with images (such as charts) being removed from the original source, or changing, which isn't ideal. So, for now at least we've removed the option to do this as we think it'll offer a better experience for everyone on the forum and allow for a more consistent way of viewing and uploading images within posts. 

If you're unsure how to upload images to your posts, please take a look at the guide here:

Thanks
Paul 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

testing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Good idea I've seen numerous charts in the MOD thread either out of sync as they auto update via a link or disappear completely whereas saving and uploading avoids that issue

Posted

Pain in the backside as now I can't now directly upload my own photos from my own website that have been resized to a sensible 1000 pixel width.

Do you really want 21 MB original pictures uploded from my pc?

Edited by frogesque

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Unrelated(ish) - but any chance the site can pre-frame the space needed for an image before it loads?

when I’m not on WiFi it takes about 10 seconds on some pages before the text I’m trying to read stops jumping about the screen as the image data comes back from the server...

Dunno if anyone else has this issue too?

(move to ge right thread if needed)

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul said:

You could just download the images you want to post on here from your website, then upload them?

??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Singularity said:

h850t850eu.png hgt300.png

Slight delay to the 'proper westerlies' on this run; a bit more of a ridge ahead of the main Atlantic trough. Only one reasonable day of weather gained though - we can't stave off the inevitable for much longer!

p.s. I'm finding I can't see these attachments after I submit the post, is this the case for others too?

Are you uploading the images from a machine or are you linking them? Linking to pictures is not available anymore, because if the image changes or no longer exists, then it disappears from the forum as well.

Posted

Test

Failed

Can download image to tablet but can't upload to site.

Need a simple 101 image upload page covering all platforms or abandon hope all ye who enter.

Edit: the whole point of running my own site is to upload images to various places knowing that links will remain and not be lost arbitrarily. It also saves the sites' bandwidth.

Edited by frogesque

Posted
8 hours ago, frogesque said:

Test

Failed

Can download image to tablet but can't upload to site.

Need a simple 101 image upload page covering all platforms or abandon hope all ye who enter.

Edit: the whole point of running my own site is to upload images to various places knowing that links will remain and not be lost arbitrarily. It also saves the sites' bandwidth.

The guide posted above applies to all devices, clicking the choose files link will open up the file explorer on your device, and from there you should be able to choose the images from wherever you have downloaded them to, and upload them. 

The vast majority of people are already using this method to put images into their posts, using a range of devices. I understand there may be a learning curve for those who have been used to doing it a different way, but this system offers the best user experience for all users of the forum. In terms of bandwidth, we proxy linked images so they're served locally in any case so already cover the bandwidth needed to show them, as not all sites use https (which we do), and not all sites have the capacity to cope should someone link an image in a very busy thread. 

The problem with linked images is that they may change and may be removed, which isn't an issue with locally uploaded images, plus the software displays them in a more user friendly way. So, despite it perhaps being a bit annoying to start, if you've not been using it previously, the change is for good reason.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Don't know if it's a coincidence but since this change was made I am now unable to post at all from my iPad.  It simply won't let me enter the text input box anywhere, and nor will it let me access my stuff from the icon top right so I can't log out and log in.  My work PC doesn't seem to be affected, as evidenced by this post - is anyone else having problems?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted

I think it is just a coincidence, I'd recommend clearing your cookies and cache in safari (or whichever browser you use) on your ipad and I imagine it'll solve the problem. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

nope.... see, the problem i have is that after uploading a pic, any further text also links to the image , underlined... what am i doing wrong?

Posted

Are you following the info in the guide, or doing something different, as tbh I've never seen that happen before. 

Posted

I don't see any need to block images linked from flickr or other photo hosting sites.
What are the copyright implications of saving images from other sources and uploading to this site?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
21 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

nope.... see, the problem i have is that after uploading a pic, any further text also links to the image , underlined... what am i doing wrong?

Try pressing the enter key twice and backspace once after posting an image and see if that works to clear the text issue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
30 minutes ago, Paul said:

Are you following the info in the guide, or doing something different, as tbh I've never seen that happen before. 

Paul..

On my Windows PC..

Over on MO, John H is trying to get his files to display. 

Myself and Gordon B have not been able to view them.

No reports of anyone else with problems. I also note that Singlarity's files will not display.

I am trying to access a .Doc file of John's and although it will download OK, it loses the extension and has a scrambled file name.

I use Thunderbird as my Windows Email manager, because I experienced similar problems in 'EMAIL', in the past.

All my problems dissolved after I installed Thunderbird - until now. 

I have left details in the MO thread.

I am not certain whether the problem is at my end or Johns.

Will Dropbox be OK  as my  data distribution manager?

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
33 minutes ago, 4wd said:

I don't see any need to block images linked from flickr or other photo hosting sites.
What are the copyright implications of saving images from other sources and uploading to this site?

They're the same as they would be if you're embedding them - you need to have permission to do so. 

Posted
18 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Paul..

On my Windows PC..

Over on MO, John H is trying to get his files to display. 

Myself and Gordon B have not been able to view them.

No reports of anyone else with problems. I also note that Singlarity's files will not display.

I am trying to access a .Doc file of John's and although it will download OK, it loses the extension and has a scrambled file name.

I use Thunderbird as my Windows Email manager, because I experienced similar problems in 'EMAIL', in the past.

All my problems dissolved after I installed Thunderbird - until now. 

I have left details in the MO thread.

I am not certain whether the problem is at my end or Johns.

Will Dropbox be OK  as my  data distribution manager?

MIA

This is unrelated to images, please can you start a separate thread. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I always use shift +  enter for one space.

I'm really finding it odd that so many people are having problems?!

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

lets see

GFSOPEU06_216_2.png
now

Edited by mushymanrob

Posted

nope... links still there...

Posted

I asked earlier MMR, are you following the instructions in the linked thread or doing something different? What steps do you take to end up with the link like that? As I'm entirely unable to recreate it. 

Also, which browser are you using? 

All you need to do is:

1. Click the choose files link at the bottom of the editor (or drag the image into that area). 

2. Assuming you've not dragged the image, select it from your pc/device. 

3. Once it's uploaded, click the + button on it to insert it into your post. 

4. Press enter and keep typing. 

grass-pollen.png

Those steps = this outcome. So if you're following those and it's still doing it, then it sounds like something browser related.