Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
Sign in to follow this  
Pixel

Met office or BBC or an-other for forecast - Trust what?

Apologies if this subject has raised and had it's head cut off in other discussions but I couldn't find a thread that dealt with the disparity between Met office and BBC forecasts. I'm at a loss as to know which to believe since the BBC dis associated itself from the meto. Oh and those percentages (%) for rainfall, toss a coin at 50 % chance for the past hour... sounds like covering ones backside to me.

Presently I'm using Sat24 for live images, rain today or Netweather and some apps. All well and good for NOW but the next three days forecast seem to have become very different and confusing.

This one is great if you want to build an arc: http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SAT_NHEM/animweur.html

Navigating within this page is desperate:

http://wxcharts.eu/?panel=default&model=icon_eu,icon_eu,icon_eu,icon_eu&region=europe&chart=overview,850temp,wind10mkph,snowdepth&run=06&step=030&plottype=10&lat=51.904&lon=-0.154&skewtstep=0

and a crazy alternative to what was presented previously on national TV and tinternet and then there's Meteociel.fr for fun !!

Our national forecast on mainstream media has gone 'breasts pointing upwards' IMHO (in my humble opinion)

3 hours ago, Pixel said:

Apologies if this subject has raised and had it's head cut off in other discussions but I couldn't find a thread that dealt with the disparity between Met office and BBC forecasts. I'm at a loss as to know which to believe since the BBC dis associated itself from the meto. Oh and those percentages (%) for rainfall, toss a coin at 50 % chance for the past hour... sounds like covering ones backside to me.

Presently I'm using Sat24 for live images, rain today or Netweather and some apps. All well and good for NOW but the next three days forecast seem to have become very different and confusing.

This one is great if you want to build an arc: http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/SAT_NHEM/animweur.html

Navigating within this page is desperate:

http://wxcharts.eu/?panel=default&model=icon_eu,icon_eu,icon_eu,icon_eu&region=europe&chart=overview,850temp,wind10mkph,snowdepth&run=06&step=030&plottype=10&lat=51.904&lon=-0.154&skewtstep=0

and a crazy alternative to what was presented previously on national TV and tinternet and then there's Meteociel.fr for fun !!

Our national forecast on mainstream media has gone 'breasts pointing upwards' IMHO (in my humble opinion)

As far as the UK is concerned, seaweed and a farmer's almanac are by far the most useful :p

Seriously though, I find weatherunderground to be pretty accurate for my area at least.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm tempted to look at the moon phases and sun spots in conjunction with a few farmers near the seaside for a decent forecast but i hear that putting a sea shell up to one's ear is quite good also

5% chance of rain 19oc here on Meto

1% chance of rain 20oc here on BBC

Looks warmer and dry-er with a likely hood of boring sameness on all other investigations ! but what do i know interpreting the forecasts available?

'ummm there be change in the air in these parts, the 4 by 4 's and sparrows ar' nigh be seen'

Edited by Pixel

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jo Farrow
      A look at the official recording of air temperature and surrounding conditions. Hourly official weather observations and the daily NCM National Climatological Message which records max and min temp, sunshine hours, rainfall and visibility
      https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/9018-uk-temperatures-who-takes-the-official-weather-observations-and-how
      Thanks to the Observers at Winterfield Weather enclosure Dunbar 

• By Jacques Steventon
      Hi all,

A retired police constable turned climatologist claims snow will fall all over the UK this winter! I talk about this in more detail on my blog here but thought I would put it in general discussion as well  
      The Met Office have already spoken up and said that he doesn't use a scientific way of forecasting and that winter will be cold, it's winter. Ha.
      Anyway he goes onto say that Christmas day will be snowy for the north but no luck for the south. Apparently though the south of UK will see large amounts of snow into the new year and temperatures will drop into 5-. He says he is hardly ever wrong so who knows, we might be in for some luck here in the UK.
      I personally can only remember one year that we had amazing snow here in the south of the UK. It was great. Either way fingers crossed. 
    • By Craig13
      Hi - I was wondering if someone could help with a question on the best forecasting site, app or API for forecasts i want in the UK.  I need approximately 80 forecasts returned for a set of co-ords all at the one time preferably in tabular form. Metcheck displays multiple locations for things like UK seaside but if anyone knows of a way of extracting this info in to a table then this would be very helpful. thanks for any help
    • By ZONE 51
      Rain Watch
      Hi everyone, have decided to start up a separate topic to look more closely at expected rainfall accumulations in the days ahead. It's a concern that more new floods are possible if not likely through this weekend and into next week, this coming from several large scale weather systems and possible Atlantic storms hitting the UK and ROI over the next 7 days at least,  it's likely that some breaks in the rain will occur at times though.   
      I'm not going to hide the fact that severe floods in new areas are possibly on the way I say possibly even if I think likely, which I do.
      Below I've put on a rain alert map created from precipitation data models of which the one's I have access, please use my map as a general guide of where the heaviest rain could be accumulated over the next 48hrs or so,  please do allow for some small adjustments do not take the map as 100 percent set in stone, usually the expected accumulations of rainfall may be more or less in any one area and exact locations can change, I might not be able to update map.

(Map can be shared where you like)

Map expires MON 0300hrs - January 4
      W = on the map this means that I am watching for upgrades of 30mm or more.
      Light yellow + W =30mm - rainfall may get accumulated up to 30mm but may upgrade to 40mm for a level 1 so is under a watch zone.
      Yellow = 40mm - 50mm accm rain
      Orange = 50mm - 80mm accm rain
      Red = 80mm - 100mm accm rain
      Dark red = 100+ accm rain.
      Many areas seeing rain this heavy at times some very heavy and prolonged, expect 10mm-25mm generally.
      Some of the largest rainfalls likely to occur over higher ground.
      For the winds associated with these weather systems/storms likely gale or severe gale at times please see other threads and warnings. 

Please post anything related to rainfall forecasting, model ppn data, alerts and warnings, your own rain maps and forecasts.  

ZONE51.

• By Jo Farrow
      I've just written a blog hopefully explaining more about how the Met Office create their weather warnings and how the 3 levels now include likelihood of severe weather and the possible impacts. 

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=6466;sess=

Did you know this about the impacts?
      Is this the right way to go for the public? 
      With this explanation do you feel the warnings are now more helpful to you?

The Matrix is now a key part of the warning, but is there anyway to show high impact, lower likelihood
      or medium likelihood of low impact event from just the 3 colours?