Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What are the worst thunderstorms you have experienced in the UK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Mine are

1st / 2nd July 2015 

storm forecast from that day indicated the likelihood of some pretty intense storms developing (possible supercells)  and also tornado risk 

I remember watching the radar all day and into the evening and was beginning to think it was a bust however just before midnight the radar suddenly burst into life to my south (still the quickest to this day I have seen cells develop on radar) and a big storm was on track for a direct hit around 1 am. Unfortunately my videos and pics are on an old hard drive which died before I could upload them, however here are some videos from Edinburgh of the same intense storm 

_84000978_mikedickson.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A selection of viewer images taken during the thunder and lightning storm in the early hours of Thursday morning.

_84003217_peterculterlightening0207.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A dramatic thunder and lightning storm lit up many parts of Scotland overnight into Thursday.

24th June 2019

Very intense storm with the rainfall being the main feature which resulted in flooding (the heaviest rain I have experienced) my video from the storm 

thunder at 1:19 and 2:24, go to around the 4 min mark onward for the rain which was whites and purples on radar 

little did I know that would be the start of the most thundery summer I have experienced.

29th June 2019

A day which had 3 separate storms here each one getting more intense and again more flooding with fire engines rushing to help pump water out. 

my video with some hail 12 mins in 

24th July 2019

Again 3 separate storms however this time night storms starting at around 3am 

my pics from those storms 505333648_lightning1.thumb.png.f79182102a3340575c9c08c3130e15c0.png522049908_lightning2.thumb.png.496f3455e9a869155783a8e0260bda24.png385623448_lightning3.thumb.png.0aeae6cc01ce3fbf3e42ce7ca6330860.png855823414_lightning4.thumb.png.e981b185c83d14f4a1aeba502b03b8dc.png666478635_lightning5.thumb.png.4b38346deab5d5b75d02c4adc9ec09f2.png507956414_lightning6.thumb.png.05f5ee50c56e04dc7fc08b28a6722ea3.png1777199531_lightning7.thumb.png.c15b4d13fec5c418b85ab53f05c95c01.png2035935196_lightning8.thumb.png.071cbe950eacd4be8ff6b7c8be6e0d4c.png and videos can be found on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPC1J11-uXtGtev-gYA2jlA/videos

7th August 2019 and the last of this summers storms here which had some nice structure as it moved in and more intense rainfall and gusty winds. 

IMG_20190807_133417.jpg.6603f815252822d0 IMG_20190807_133419.jpg.97b6ce78652d9315

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Below, is a quote from a Post I made on Wednesday Evening:

T/Storm 2. 6th August 1981.

"Myself and my first Wife, were House-sitting at the time, for friends of ours. The Husband was a Groundsman at Alleyn's School, in Dulwich. I worked around a brisk 20 minute walk, from our friend's House. I can remember I had a very brisk walk to work that Morning at around 9 AM, as I was being "chased" by an "evil" coppery coloured Sky, which was emitting ever louder, peals of thunder. Managed to reach work, before the Tropical style rain began. I think there was a 2nd t/storm around 10 AM but this was short-lived. The "Piece de Resistance", was still to come  and gave this violent, thundery spell, it's "Daytime-Darkness" tag!! If memory serves, just before Lunchtime the sky grew darker and darker. In a short time, the sky was as black, as Midnight. But for quite a while, nothing happened and an eerie silence, ensued. Then "All Hell broke loose". Frequent overhead Lightning and Thunder, with Rain of an intensity, I've rarely seen. The thundery Weather finally moved away."

As a postscript to that account, I'd like to add an image, taken during that Event.

It appears in the Surrey County Weather Book and is reproduced with the kind permission of Ian Currie, who co-wrote the Book with Mark Davison. The image is entitled, "When Day became Night":

image.thumb.png.fb547fd9cf14e39ef74ffc386f776db5.png

It depicts the scene at Lower Kingswood, on the A217, about 6 Miles South of Epsom, in Surrey. This Photo was taken at around Midday and was typical of the intense darkness experienced, in and around the London area, at that time.

I was working in East Dulwich, S,E,London. We experienced the same intense darkness, after a few minutes of eerie calm, all hell broke loose. This was the 3rd, and most intense cell, during that very violent 3 hours, between 9.30 and 12.30 on the Morning of, 6th August 1981.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi: 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 04/12/2019 at 06:32, Thundershine said:

TBH I've never experienced a scary or bad thunderstorm in the UK (despite living in the SE). I did experience an electrical storm with constant strobing lightning in July 1999 in Windsor though, which was very impressive

That thunderstorm may have been part of same stormline that violently shook Salisbury that summer. Non stop lightning but loudest thunder claps I have heard. The worst weather to be in a tent thinking any second you are going to be hit. Seen heaps of thunderstorms since then but that one is still the wildest. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Without going through my weather records to give exact dates, so this is just purely from memory... Which admittedly is a bit foggy with the mists of time. :oldlaugh:

Around 1983 to 1989 we used to get some really big cracking thunderstorms about the end of May time... What would normally happen is we'd get a brief taste of summer (27 - 28'C) for about a week and then it would go bang big time... And if my memory serves me correctly, there were some absolute crackers! But there was one evening in May 1985, there had been our usual 'taste of summer' over the previous few days, and I remember it being a very hot and sticky day in school... But that evening me and a couple of my friends were out on our bikes and the sky was coppery coloured, when we noticed it going black over towards Hope Mountain (Wrexham area), when we started to hear distant booming rumbles of thunder... So we decided to head home. We made it back before the storm hit, but oh boy! What a storm it was! :yahoo:⛈️
The radio that night was virtually unlistenable too, both on AM and FM! 

Sometime during the later part of the summer of 1992 was a wonderfully spiky storm one Sunday morning, I swear it was an MCS, as it started at about 11.00 in the morning and was still rumbling on at 15.00 in the afternoon!! That Sunday evening was wonderfully misty as a result of that Storm. :oldrolleyes:⛈️

Now then, I also remember a monster of a storm one night, but for the life of me I can't remember if it was 1994 or 1995. Either way, I remember the day starting off just dull and grey, but by the time I'd finished work the heat humidity had gone through the roof, and the sky had an orange cast too it... By about 21.00 a storm started to break, what I didn't realise at the time was this little storm was to be the warm up act!!   The main storm then exploded into life at around 01.00 right the way through till 05.00... What a night that was!! :oldgrin:⛈️

2001 This year produced the last 'BIG' old skool thunderstorm that I remember... It started at about 19.00 on Tuesday evening in July(?) and all hell let loose for the next few hours, it was superb! One lightning strike hit a wooden gate down one of the lanes and set it on fire!! But it was a cracking storm.:clap:⛈️

2015 Two very memorable storms this year - the one at the beginning of July, and the one on the 22nd August... Oh to relive those storms again. ⛈️⛈️:oldrolleyes:

2019 We had a few impressive storms last year as well! 

I'm hoping that 2020 gives us all a good and memorable display of storms. :oldgood:

Posted

5th September 1958 - I was abroad at the time with my family and missed this evening storm which affected many parts of the south east of England. The largest authenticated hailstone -10cm across and weighing 141g - fell at Horsham during this storm (Philip Eden).

14th / 15th September 1968 - the prelude to the Great Flood of 68 on the 15th in SE England was a series of spectacular thunderstorms which continued into the night and which I remember well 51 years on.

6th August 1981 - morning storms which have been described in a separate thread and which resulted in flooding outside my offices in Surrey.

31st May 1983 - camping in Surrey and visited by 2-3 massive and spectacular overnight storms moving up from France.

June 1985 - a hot, sticky day but I got caught in my car in a sudden and terrifying thunderstorm on my way to a sporting event at a Crawley leisure centre. Probably the worst I've encountered in the UK. I arrived belatedly at the centre to find that the all-weather facilities were no longer all-weather and the roof of the centre had caved in, so returned home to find no rain there at all..

May 1993 - a Bank Holiday visit to Morecambe coincided with an afternoon storm which deposited 1.5 ins of rain on the town in an hour or so. No rain at all back in Blackpool.

2nd August 2002 - in the North East at the time and affected by the storms which flooded Pickering, with over 4ins of rain falling on the neighbouring Moors.

19th June 2007 - the floods which devastated the Severn Valley also affected us in South Cheshire. Probably the worst I've encountered since I moved here in 2000.

2nd April 2018 - after a very wet Easter in the North East, the 2nd was dry and warm until the evening when a huge thunderstorm came in over Whitby. Lasted 45 minutes and caused considerable flooding in the area already saturated by the rain and Beast from the East snow of March / early April 2018.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember a severe thunderstorm over North Yorkshire in August 2001. 

I fiest remember hearing rumbles of thunder at around 8 am, that became louder with extremely frequent lightning. In fact, the sky appeared to be constantly lit up for over two hours. I remember fork lightning, torrential rain crashing thunder and large hail. 

There was a severe thunderstorm the evening before too, with reports of a funnel cloud.

I remember witnessing some quite severe storms in the 80s when I was little. They seemed to be a lot more frequent then. My Mum and Dad used to unplug the TV whenever there was a thunderstorm.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

This is my top 5 worst storms I've ever experienced.

(NOTE: I can't really remember thunderstorms before 2017-2018, so I'm sorry if there are pretty much only new storms)

Number 5: August 24 2018

Me and my family was at Skegness during this horrific storm. Earlier that day, lots of mediocris clouds formed as I was getting food for my holiday near Lincoln. As we arrived at Skegness, it started raining. I eventually then heard thunder and hail. It was only about 30 mins.

Number 4: April 26-27 2019

I was on my school bus for home. As we was at a traffic light junction, me and some friends spotted over 4 huge clouds. One of them would become thunderstorms and would affect my area. Luckily, it didn't reach my area, but I did hear thunder.

Number 3: July 27th 2018

As soon as I woke up, I heard loud thunder. I rushed down the stairs and then saw torrential rain for about 10 or so minutes. Later that day another storm came around my area. I cant really remember it tho.

Number 2: July 24th 2019

At about 1am, I heard lightning. It then started raining heavily at about 2. I couldn't sleep that night; I was on my iPad with my headphones to the maximum volume.

Number 1: August 27th 2019

There were 2 storms that day. About 7pm I heard lightning and the clouds were a shade of orange. About an hour later, I saw thunder every second, with loud lightning.

• 4 months later...

One of the most ferocious thunderstorms I encountered was in the early hours of September 18th 1992, possibly a Supercell storm it produced some of the most violent lightning I have ever seen for about 2 hours, directly overhead, another particularly impressive storm was on the evening of 19th September 2014, this began just before 9pm lasting just over an hour, the lightning was pretty vicious, frequent and right overhead, the storm put down near 50mm of rain causing flash flooding in Southend. Another of my great storms was that of 6th August 1981, at exactly 2pm the sky went absolutely black, I have never before or since seen the sky so dark in daytime, this severe storm lasted about 90minutes. Another particularly vicious thunderstorm was on the evening of 17th October 1990 in Aldershot, it began around 7pm and soon became violent, by 7.30pm our Platoon Sergeant had nearly been hit by lightning, missing him by 30metres! Fair to say we were ordered to abandon our field exercise and ‘get the hell out’!

Posted

Early August 2012 in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Terrific thunder and lightning, think it wa a Sunday. Went on for ages. Memorable TV footage lightning striking Tyne Bridge. Heavy rain brought flash flooding. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

For me it would have to be a storm we had in late june 1998 in the Hemel Hempstead area, i have never seen or heard lightning and thunder like it with several properties being struck, it was a slow moving storm with large hail which led to flooding in parts. I remeber grass around a sign post just before Potten End on fire and a chap said he had seen it being struck by lightning, the sign post never recovered and you can still see it's chard remains today.!! The storm of june 82 was a cracker too.

Edited by thunderpants

Posted

10-11 July 1995 (all night lightning display), 19th June 2005 (hot Sunday afternoon turned into a cracking storm with large hail) and 22nd Aug 2015 (short duration but incredibly frequent lightning and thunder, it was like being under strobe lights) are the ones that stand out round here. Seems to be something about years ending in 5.

Also worth mentioning are 13 Sept 2016 (multiple storms all afternoon) and July 2014 (that month had more storms than the previous 4 years, none were epic but there was at least one decent nighttime lightning show), the late May bank holiday of 1992 (think it was the Saturday, classic hot day/evening storm) and July 1993 I think (when it suddenly went dark about midday with really loud thunder). 

Elsewhere in the UK there was that one I somehow caught in Scarborough in August 2017 (about 22nd or 23rd), struck about midday out of the blue with booming thunder, frequent lightning and flash flooding on all the roads (it recorded something like 40mm in 2 hours). That year was almost thunderless in Shrewsbury as well.

All the mentions of Tyneside in this thread and in 3 years at university there I clearly remember only one storm, in October 2003 when some cells moved in off the North Sea one evening (seemed a strange way to get thunder, especially that time of year). I wasn't there in any August or late July so probably missed a few.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

The worst ones, in the basingstoke area, actually fairly recently are the following:

13/14 june 2014.  This one moved down from the NW, an unusual direction but it lasted at least 2 h with consistent heavy rain and frequent cg strokes giving very loud thunder.  I think only parts of c/s england were affected but I will stand corrected if needs be.

15/16 September 2016.  Even better than the predecessor 2 years prior.  This lasted on and off from the evening until about 330am and the peak was after midnight with incessant rain, shotgun thunder and many close cgs.  I observed bead lightning during this one too.

18/19 july 2017.  Perhaps not as bad as the previous 2 but great storms nonetheless.

Also one on 3 july 1999 was very close, with gusty winds that always changed direction, a bolt within a few hundred yards and a fair bit of hail.

A great one that formed along a warm front in may 2001 deserves a mention  too.  Very loud inversion thunder from this one.  The next few days were warm and humid compared to the cool days previous, which was quite unusual.

Note that most of these are not from typical plume set ups.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
1 hour ago, SummerShower said:

The worst ones, in the basingstoke area, actually fairly recently are the following:

13/14 june 2014.  This one moved down from the NW, an unusual direction but it lasted at least 2 h with consistent heavy rain and frequent cg strokes giving very loud thunder.  I think only parts of c/s england were affected but I will stand corrected if needs be.

15/16 September 2016.  Even better than the predecessor 2 years prior.  This lasted on and off from the evening until about 330am and the peak was after midnight with incessant rain, shotgun thunder and many close cgs.  I observed bead lightning during this one too.

18/19 july 2017.  Perhaps not as bad as the previous 2 but great storms nonetheless.

I remember these, the September 2016 and July 2017 ones stand out for me. The lightning was brilliant. The 2014 storm is noted, as you say, for the unusual direction it approached from. That had some cracking CG's with it though. There was another in 2015 too, I have video stills somewhere from that. That had some ridiculous anvil crawlers. 

Any storm during the 90s, when I was pretty young. They seemed nailed on to hit overnight after a few hot days. They didn't just die out in the evening and turn to the dreaded 'thundery rain'. I'd be woken up in the middle of the night when, as forecasted, imported storms had drifted up from the south and they never failed to give an hour or two of frequent thunder and lightning - proper house-shaking stuff that we just do not see on a regular basis here anymore.

Another storm springs to mind when I was at uni in Scarborough. I'd taken the chance that a storm further SW would stay intact as it tracked to us, so we headed up to Oliver's Mount to view it coming in. After a long while I had presumed it was dissipating with the sky looking dark but nothing out of the ordinary. What then followed was so sudden but it went much darker very quickly and the thunder started up and my friend and I looked at each-other and realised we had to get to lower ground as it wasn't safe. We legged it down the road back to campus with the storm descending. I remember seeing a CG land no more than half a mile away when we were back down the hill. It went as black as night when the storm did hit - thankfully we were back at campus and in our second floor rooms (lucky for us as the ground floor got flooded that evening!). Not sure of the date but it was in April, perhaps around 2007 or 2008.

More recently there was a terrific isolated thunderstorm in the Peak District in late evening on the 1st July 2015. I remember @mhielte got a great video of it from Owler Bar. The lightning was high based and very frequent. No thunder as it wasn't close enough but it was a spectacular sight with cloudless skies around the storm.

Edited by Jim Halpert

Posted

8th July 1970, my mothers birthday. We lived in London at the time, and a massive storm moved in during the early hours. Lightning got more frequent and closer, by this time I had an interest in all things meteorological and was well aware of the five second rule. Then BANG, our house was struck by lightning. Some minor damage to the chimney stack, but more importantly we still had open coal fires in the two downstairs rooms. The strike did a much better job than the annual visit by the chimney sweep, with the rooms covered in soot. I was kept off school to help with the clean up, I would have been 13 at the time. Accompanied by very heavy rain, although where we lived wasn't subject to flooding.

Second occasion, August 1981 (I think), By this time I was living in Yorkshire, working for a company in Sheffield, but had been sent back to London to work on a major project, so I lived in London during the week. I had to go to another office near Twickenham from my temporary office near Victoria and it turned as dark as night, with torrential rain, thunder and lightning whilst I was making my way back from Twickenham

Third one would be North York Moors storm of June 2005, we lived on high ground to the west of the Vale of York, so missed most of it, but had a grandstand view of the storm, as we could see the top of Sutton Bank and the White Horse from our garden. We went over to Helmsley on our way to Scarborough the following weekend and realised just how bad it had been.

Sitting here in 2020 in anticipation of forecasted storms hitting us, and to the back drop of thunder rumbles in the distance.

JUNE 1982 Leicester - the most memorable and vivid storm of my life, Late afternoon through to late evening 6 hours? It just didn't go anywhere - not continuous rain but constant lightning - and some - WOW pink, green, lilac, yellow, blue/white, forked, sheet it was just as though we had the biggest firework display ever - spectacular.

I was a student and one our corridor neighbours was particularly smelly, and in that hot summer he was definitely 'off' - so in the worst of the rain we pushed him outside with a bar of soap - to his credit he washed his hair and fully rinsed in in the torrential rain, only briefly complaining of the stinging hail.

Later that evening we all trooped down to the pub to watch one of the Spain World Cup games, can't remember exactly but it might have been the Brazil Scotland game . Some time later at kicking out time 10.30 during the week - the storm was still raging. we had dodged the rain walking there, but not coming back.

Great Memories, Great Storm Great Colours

• Like 1

Posted

A couple stick out for me from when I was a kid. One was around early July 1999, I was living down in Staffordshire and I remember seeing the dark clouds looming in the school playground.

I was scared of thunder at the time and I was terrified when it arrived! It lasted for around 6 hours after that and I believe there was a tornado not too far from there. 

It was so bad I actually went from been scared of storms to been fascinated by them! 

Another was in Yorkshire, late July 2002, it lasted all the way from mid afternoon until around 9am the following day, I have not seen a storm last that long before or since. 

On 04/06/2018 at 22:00, Quicksilver1989 said:

I remember hearing about this event, very unusual and rare. It happened on the same day I saw snow in Northampton I think!

I remember the 1966 thunderstorm I was 18 at the time and so frightened that I crawled in my mum and dads bed, my fear was so great, I thought it was then end of the world

Posted

Early hours of 18th May 1997, I remember being woken up by thunder that sounded like a cannon going off. It was just a couple of rumbles of thunder  and I went back to bed thinking it was just a rogue thundery shower but then I started to hear more frequent rumbling and a spectacular light show just to my west. The storm moved away just as predawn light was just starting to drown out the lightning flashes. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

My best storm was in August ‘98, can’t remember exact date, when I was living in Glastonbury. Went up Glastonbury Tor on a hot/humid evening to see the sunset and catch a breeze. I didn’t have a tv then let alone a weather radar, so had no idea what was coming. Was up there with maybe a dozen other people (no one I knew, I went on my own). 

Just as the sun was setting a wind came from the east (no one was looking that way!) and I remember turning around and seeing a couple of separate small looking storms rolling over the Somerset levels, rapidly coming in the direction of the hill, fork lightening everywhere and some shotgun thunder started. A few people legged it down the hill, but the rest of us stayed. Within 15 minutes the cloud was nearly overhead, and surprisingly low. The forked lightening was very frequent, and I saw a few strikes on the hill below me (the other people had got down!), something I’d never seen before.
A few minutes later the cloud was right above, and this the only time in my life I’ve seen lightening go sideways in front of me, and below me, frequently and seemingly so close I could touch it, and I saw purple, blue, green and orange lightening. After some flashes it felt the air went for a split second and it was hard to catch a breath, and the thunder had a sub bass quality to it, and was ‘felt’ rather than heard. The other people who stayed had different reactions (it was Glastonbury Tor, so bear that in mind!). One person was rolling on the ground laughing, some people were stood stone cold silent in awe, a lady was very scared and crying. I pointed out the lightening conductor on the old church tower and said we should be ok. The lightening show and thunder lasted maybe 15 minutes, then torrential rain came for maybe 5 mins, and then it was gone, out to sea. It was fairly short, but utterly stunning.Its one of the most vivid memories I have of anything in my life. It felt like I was in the cloud when it was happening. I couldn’t sleep for many hours after.. 

• Like 1

Posted

Two storms - first mid sixties and again late 60's - growing up in a village 10 miles West of Leicester.

The memorable event from the first was that my Granddad had me watch it from his front porch with the door open.

"It's just a storm - nothing to worry about lad".  Then of course there was an astonishingly loud bang and half the chimney stack from just across the road came crashing down into the street. I was transfixed until he grabbed my jumper and pulled me back into the house. Gran was not amused!

Now move on a few years to 68 or 69. I watched this storm approach from the East. It was a good display but it didn't seem out of the ordinary - until it hit.

The rain came on very suddenly but was soon replaced by a tremendous roaring sound. This was hail so intense that it rolled off the roof and made a complete white curtain that obscured anything beyond. Every plant in the garden was shredded and hailstones formed drifts across the road. People coming into the village hours later were amazed to find it freezing cold and shrouded in mist when just a couple of miles away the sun was out and it was pleasantly warm.

There is an archive report in the Leicester Mercury - it appears that all the hail was reserved for just one drop - the centre of our village. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Golf ball sized hail, around the mid 1980's in Salford (I was six years old at the time).

Posted
On 22/06/2020 at 06:27, Weather-history said:

I am surprised that 24th June 1994 and 7th June 1996 events haven't been mentioned.

Yes I remember those.

June 24th, a Friday evening storm and into the night.

Reminded me of the mid August 1987 storms that moved in during the late evening between 8-9pm.

I was watching a World Cup match during the USA 94 tournament, and remember the lightning approaching for half hour or so, then the storms moved in for about an hour. It was quite severe. The storms moved away after 10pm with distant flashing. 

That week was hot in London, around 27-29c maybe a 30c. 

The early June 1996 was another one. Remember it moving in on a Friday night, after some very hot weather over the week, and only a week or two after the very cold May. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Forgot to add, a supercell over Earley (Reading) in June 1998. Rain coming down like a waterfall, an inch in 15 minutes at the University weather station. Students union with its entrance located at the bottom of a slope flooded. Housemate came in reporting structural damage in the area. Peak rainfall rates near 160 mm/hr just north of Reading.

WWW.THEFREELIBRARY.COM

Free Online Library: TWISTER IN SUBURBIA; Families tell of terror as freak tornado leaves trail of havoc.(News) by "The Mirror (London, England)"...

Edited by al78