Sign in to follow this  
Snipper

VISA problems - cashless/electronic society

The recent VISA problems is a good reminder that relying on a totally electronic world is unwise as disturbance to it causes major and wide problems. What do you do for a backup both for financial matters and information generally if systems go down due to breakdowns, war, natural disaster and cyber interference?

What do others think?

56 minutes ago, Snipper said:

The recent VISA problems is a good reminder that relying on a totally electronic world is unwise as disturbance to it causes major and wide problems. What do you do for a backup both for financial matters and information generally if systems go down due to breakdowns, war, natural disaster and cyber interference?

What do others think?

The relentless race to a cashless society is frightening ,let alone the above but banks shops and the authorities knowing every move you make , a very distopian future beckons .

Cash jobs are the nicest on occasions. You actually feel as if you have earned something. Then there is bartering. Ok in the real world not too practical. 

As I am retired I don't have any paying job. Just saving for my children's inheritance. Oh sorry meant saving for the care home fees. Screwed by tax when you earn, save and die. Come on greedy world dig in. 

Having experience technical wobbles in the Middle East we always had a bit of back up cash for down time be it planned (but not always communicated) or just a random "your card has been stopped" Why???????

I hated bartering though. I got ripped off big time as I was too polite to barter. One time I was truly to tired, hot etc to buy a rug and walked out. They cut the price from 5000 AED to 1200 AED. I still said no (they would have gone lower) 

Always have a bit of cash handy

This is a wake up call,anyone relying on cards in shops/stores, its reduckulous as inspector Crabtree would say.

Ideal for online only.

As for Sweden with a cashless society already.