Sign in to follow this  
Supacell

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Just had a thundery shower here with some good cracks of thunder and IC/CC lightning. 

That's thunder and lightning on 3 days in a row.

Edited by cheese

1 hour ago, Joey.G said:

I wasn't witness to the storm over Belper as I was already in Lincolnshire by that time. Sounds like you had a good chase and put the miles in too. Belper to Brigg to King's Lynn is some distance. Sounds like another storm chaser who shares my willingness to give it there all 👍

Also nice to hear Belper finally got a storm. There are some quite squally showers out there now and a few storms to our west so who knows. Can Belper do two storms in two days.

I had the element of time on my side yesterday as there was a 7 hour baking hot dry spell in the storm sandwich. So I was able to check out some possible viewpoints to see night time lightning with a form of shelter ahead of the storms so I could avoid being trapped in the car when the storms move overhead. 

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I wasn't witness to the storm over Belper as I was already in Lincolnshire by that time. Sounds like you had a good chase and put the miles in too. Belper to Brigg to King's Lynn is some distance. Sounds like another storm chaser who shares my willingness to give it there all 👍

Also nice to hear Belper finally got a storm. There are some quite squally showers out there now and a few storms to our west so who knows. Can Belper do two storms in two days.

I had the element of time on my side yesterday as there was a 7 hour baking hot dry spell in the storm sandwich. So I was able to check out some possible viewpoints to see night time lightning with a form of shelter ahead of the storms so I could avoid being trapped in the car when the storms move overhead. 

Form of shelter = ...pub?

5 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Form of shelter = ...pub?

Haha not quite. Somewhere I can film the lightning outside without getting rained on. So yesterday I found a cabin with a sheltered balcony in a park, but bus shelters come in handy too. 

• Like 1

Here’s the back edge of that cell now heading over the Wirral and towards Liverpool. 

Its coming your way @Chris.R :good:

4AC6F93D-0F75-4DE9-82F5-D5A1C0AD7495.jpeg

C1B02032-E294-41B4-BC9E-C984995E52DB.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Here’s the back edge of that cell now heading over the Wirral and towards Liverpool. 

Its coming your way @Chris.R  getting. Better not die first. Had a few more distant rumble from cells to the east. 

4AC6F93D-0F75-4DE9-82F5-D5A1C0AD7495.jpeg

C1B02032-E294-41B4-BC9E-C984995E52DB.png

The cell is nearly here but no electrical activity. 

Tasty little storm overhead now. Backbuilt right over my house 

Just heard a rumble of thunder here

Couple snaps as it passed 

IMG_20180728_172313.jpg

IMG_20180728_172123.jpg

• Like 2

Thunder 2 miles, sounds about making landfall around Hightown. Think there’s  another cell to the  south. 

Yep more thunder from different directions. 

Nasty storm cuirrently sweeping through Peterborough. Even more intense than yesterdays and not expected.

The only thing of note here is the breeze. We are now the dry slow on the radar. Yup I can see the Thunder clouds elsewhere just to rub it in.

• Like 1

I'm looking out from my garden and I can very onimous clouds with towers and tops. If I'm not mistaken those could be thundery at some point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Nasty storm cuirrently sweeping through Peterborough. Even more intense than yesterdays and not expected.

Been following it on radar: as you say, an intense and not forecasted storm.

YNOT near to Bakewell has been having issues with the gusts of wind all throughout the day with some bands being delayed, and organizers advising anyone with tents to make sure they're properly fastened into the ground after a few empty ones decided to take a short flight over the Peak District fields.

• Like 1

T&L in gloucester currently. Mainly sheet lightening but thunder very close. Chucking it down and all. Bonus, wasn't expecting anything today!