Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

image.thumb.png.1ce2937ac053ac2a55fa6aadb733d743.png

Very interesting radar at the moment, target area from all forecasters looks to be spot on today

Is this big mass all still elevated stuff i assume? 

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hail from the storm in York. Wouldn't want that falling on your head!

It was worth all the effort ?

Explosive convection to my west in Norwich. I can see it growing, its immense! Not seen anything like it before except on Storm Chasers on the TV

Posted Images

1 hour ago, billywizz65 said:

Well, I'm not very hopeful for any more activity here. Not promising at all. 

Nice cell on the Sussex coast a little earlier.Several shotgun blasts of thunder right overhead and good CG lightning.Torrential rain too.

Edited by sunnijim
Just now, ilsewin said:

Cracker of a storm just started here. CG and loud thunder!

Think I can hear that from here! Needs to move just a little West, but we know it won't lol

Stunning clouds from this latest cell and some emerging greenage too! Not in my photos though which should an elevated mini gust front type formation followed by undulatus asperatus 

71C3F4FC-4FF7-4266-B249-5ED6B338ED1E.jpeg

246B2885-1F40-41A4-8390-1ADA54B71381.jpeg

• Like 3
Just now, Homerr said:

Think I can hear that from here! Needs to move just a little West, but we know it won't lol

oh no massive dump of rain around Oxted... flash flooding thunder and lightening very .............. hope the Godstone beer festival is still on 

2 minutes ago, Homerr said:

You never know. Radar shows the rain building westward, so you might get lucky! *fingers crossed for you*

1 minute ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Nothing here apart from passing anvils from storms further west. Unbelievable. 

Same here, and the heat seems to be even more oppressive than earlier. Still 31C  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

There's the possibility of that, local METAR does show thunderstorms for MAN and LPL into tonight and parts of tomorrow, I don't have access to the higher res models however so just going along with nowcasting unless anything pops up in the Stoke-on-Trent/Wolverhampton are with association to outflowing from the storms over in the East.

If I was being picky... the TAF (Terminal Area Forecast) is showing storms into the night, the METAR is the actual conditions at the time of the report, usually updated every 30 minutes or more frequently if special conditions are reached: That's called a METAR SPECI. (60 degree change in wind, 10kts change in wind, CB in vicinity, etc etc will get a METAR SPECI produced) 

Sorry to pick up on it, I've just finished the Airline Transport Pilot License exams so am being particularly specific :) 

• Like 3