Snow?

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hail from the storm in York. Wouldn't want that falling on your head!

It was worth all the effort ?

Explosive convection to my west in Norwich. I can see it growing, its immense! Not seen anything like it before except on Storm Chasers on the TV

Posted Images

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2018-07-27

beautiful! i'm slap on the edge of amber/severe, not expecting anything but still hopeful! 

2 minutes ago, Gonzolio Martinez said:

Explosive convection to my west in Norwich. I can see it growing, its immense! Not seen anything like it before except on Storm Chasers on the TV

20180727_140439.jpg

Woah that looks amazing! It's too hazy here to see anything at the moment

Hoping those storms in the channel at the moment hit my area, any chance for us?, think the Worthing area has got a storm shield this year lol

Edited by JK1
Just now, TJS1998Tom said:

Woah that looks amazing! It's too hazy here to see anything at the moment

hazy here to, weather station saying temp is 34.8c, humidity 38%, no storms imminent from what i can see

1 minute ago, sparky1972 said:

hazy here to, weather station saying temp is 34.8c, humidity 38%, no storms imminent from what i can see

28C here according to BBC, though it was hazy yesterday but we ended up seeing some great cloud formations so I'm sure something will pop up later

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

Depends where you go. I'd say the Alps and Central into Eastern Europe is a good bet for storms. Italy and south-east Europe not bad either. But then again, the Low Countries into NW Germany get a sizable share of whoppers which develop over France and track NW. If you want somewhere easy to see lightning, go to Florida! Or better still, chase NNW from say Alabama to Nebraska! Arizona can be a spectacle in late July/August too, when they have the "South-West Monsoon" I believe they call it, when typically hot, dry air in the SW United States, begins to turn more humid, and things go out with a bang. I saw a phenomenal lightning show just outside Phoenix about 10 years ago, in August I think. 

Not sure about Cornwall/Dorset. Though, there were some big thunderstorms west of the New Forest into Cornwall and Devon, earlier this summer. Must be land mass-related. It's cooler there too, compared to the South-East. I'm sure a number of factors come into play, when we're looking at the tracking and location of thunderstorms in Britain. 

It's oppressive right now in south Bucks, really not enjoying this heat/humidity. And tonight I'm up in the city, which will be even worse! Mind, me and the mrs are doing some thames boat cruise thingy, might get a nice breeze, and perhaps treated to a light show from mother nature! Still, I'll believe that when I see it! 

I'd disagree with 'flash bangs' post to be fair, there have been plenty of storms over the past few summers affecting the west country....IMHO it's more to do with the angle of attack.....in recent summers we've had more negatively tilted troughs affecting southern england bucking the trend allowing WAA from the south to affect more of southern and south west england, hence a larger amount of storms tracking northwards or even NNW (troughing of course acts as the trigger to destabilise warm plume)The norm though normally in summers is for more positively tilted troughs IMHO which lead to the classic 'kent clipper' MCS as storms fire over northern france and track readily NE to affect the south east and benelux.....This year there's been a lack of both simply due to high pressure domination over/near the UK

6 minutes ago, Gonzolio Martinez said:

20180727_140439.jpg

I’m 30ish miles south of Norwich, and can see it from here 

A730C732-139A-4E2D-BF92-47C79C336860.jpeg

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, beerandkebab said:

I'd disagree with 'flash bangs' post to be fair, there have been plenty of storms over the past few summers affecting the west country....IMHO it's more to do with the angle of attack.....in recent summers we've had more negatively tilted troughs affecting southern england bucking the trend allowing WAA from the south to affect more of southern and south west england, hence a larger amount of storms tracking northwards or even NNW (troughing of course acts as the trigger to destabilise warm plume)The norm though normally in summers is for more positively tilted troughs IMHO which lead to the classic 'kent clipper' MCS as storms fire over northern france and track readily NE to affect the south east and benelux.....This year there's been a lack of both simply due to high pressure domination over/near the UK

I wasn’t disputing the potency of storms in the west, just that they rarely track at the required NEE angle (maybe even NEEE!) to gather the momentum to be real pearls when they get to central areas.

We did get a beauty years back which come over from Wales / Gloucester area and that was a proper discrete cell but went on for about 2 hours ?

Trajectory of activity in the channel will miss us by 20/30miles and that is us I’m Bournemouth for this spell of weather with regards to storms.

3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I wasn’t disputing the potency of storms in the west, just that they rarely track at the required NEE angle (maybe even NEEE!) to gather the momentum to be real pearls when they get to central areas.

We did get a beauty years back which come over from Wales / Gloucester area and that was a proper discrete cell but went on for about 2 hours ?

ah, I think see what you mean, i.e storms tracking almost due east from the west country?.......that actually might happen tonight believe it or not as a cold front sweeps eastwards across southern districts, the forcing could trigger some storms along/just ahead of the front which would track eastwards.....but yes apart from the classic 'Bristol Channel' streamer, west to east storms do seem quite rare