Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2018-07-27

beautiful! i'm slap on the edge of amber/severe, not expecting anything but still hopeful! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gonzolio Martinez said:

Explosive convection to my west in Norwich. I can see it growing, its immense! Not seen anything like it before except on Storm Chasers on the TV

20180727_140439.jpg

Woah that looks amazing! It's too hazy here to see anything at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Hoping those storms in the channel at the moment hit my area, any chance for us?, think the Worthing area has got a storm shield this year lol

Edited by JK1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Interesting storms forecast for us tomorrow. Lets see what happens. Awfully hot right now.

Posted
Just now, TJS1998Tom said:

Woah that looks amazing! It's too hazy here to see anything at the moment

hazy here to, weather station saying temp is 34.8c, humidity 38%, no storms imminent from what i can see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

They're getting much bigger - I've never seen a cauliflower top look so crisp. The signs are good :)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, sparky1972 said:

hazy here to, weather station saying temp is 34.8c, humidity 38%, no storms imminent from what i can see

28C here according to BBC, though it was hazy yesterday but we ended up seeing some great cloud formations so I'm sure something will pop up later

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
7 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

Depends where you go. I'd say the Alps and Central into Eastern Europe is a good bet for storms. Italy and south-east Europe not bad either. But then again, the Low Countries into NW Germany get a sizable share of whoppers which develop over France and track NW. If you want somewhere easy to see lightning, go to Florida! Or better still, chase NNW from say Alabama to Nebraska! Arizona can be a spectacle in late July/August too, when they have the "South-West Monsoon" I believe they call it, when typically hot, dry air in the SW United States, begins to turn more humid, and things go out with a bang. I saw a phenomenal lightning show just outside Phoenix about 10 years ago, in August I think. 

Not sure about Cornwall/Dorset. Though, there were some big thunderstorms west of the New Forest into Cornwall and Devon, earlier this summer. Must be land mass-related. It's cooler there too, compared to the South-East. I'm sure a number of factors come into play, when we're looking at the tracking and location of thunderstorms in Britain. 

It's oppressive right now in south Bucks, really not enjoying this heat/humidity. And tonight I'm up in the city, which will be even worse! Mind, me and the mrs are doing some thames boat cruise thingy, might get a nice breeze, and perhaps treated to a light show from mother nature! Still, I'll believe that when I see it! 

I'd disagree with 'flash bangs' post to be fair, there have been plenty of storms over the past few summers affecting the west country....IMHO it's more to do with the angle of attack.....in recent summers we've had more negatively tilted troughs affecting southern england bucking the trend allowing WAA from the south to affect more of southern and south west england, hence a larger amount of storms tracking northwards or even NNW (troughing of course acts as the trigger to destabilise warm plume)The norm though normally in summers is for more positively tilted troughs IMHO which lead to the classic 'kent clipper' MCS as storms fire over northern france and track readily NE to affect the south east and benelux.....This year there's been a lack of both simply due to high pressure domination over/near the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
6 minutes ago, Gonzolio Martinez said:

Explosive convection to my west in Norwich. I can see it growing, its immense! Not seen anything like it before except on Storm Chasers on the TV

20180727_140439.jpg

I’m 30ish miles south of Norwich, and can see it from here 

A730C732-139A-4E2D-BF92-47C79C336860.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Really hope storms don't go around us like yesterday where they were a few miles West. No doubt today it'll be a few miles East... but we shall see

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Cumulus developed rapidly out of nowhere just to my south. It’s really ripe out there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Turning cloudy here with darker clouds starting to appear to my south. A refreshing breeze, not sure if that rain will develop into a thunderstorm but it will be interesting to watch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Rain now showing on the Meto radar to the west of Norwich.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Convection under way in wickford Essex..starting to look like a better evening here with the warning area now covering all of the east. Plus stuff developing in the channel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
9 minutes ago, beerandkebab said:

I'd disagree with 'flash bangs' post to be fair, there have been plenty of storms over the past few summers affecting the west country....IMHO it's more to do with the angle of attack.....in recent summers we've had more negatively tilted troughs affecting southern england bucking the trend allowing WAA from the south to affect more of southern and south west england, hence a larger amount of storms tracking northwards or even NNW (troughing of course acts as the trigger to destabilise warm plume)The norm though normally in summers is for more positively tilted troughs IMHO which lead to the classic 'kent clipper' MCS as storms fire over northern france and track readily NE to affect the south east and benelux.....This year there's been a lack of both simply due to high pressure domination over/near the UK

I wasn’t disputing the potency of storms in the west, just that they rarely track at the required NEE angle (maybe even NEEE!) to gather the momentum to be real pearls when they get to central areas.

We did get a beauty years back which come over from Wales / Gloucester area and that was a proper discrete cell but went on for about 2 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
30 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

looks like we are just on the boarder of the amber warming

Peterborough is right on the border too :(  hopefully the worse will nudge a tiny bit west 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Considering jumping in the car and heading a bit east to intercept the storms heading up the channel but it all looks a bit weak atm. Also don't fancy battling the Friday afternoon traffic.

Trajectory of activity in the channel will miss us by 20/30miles and that is us I’m Bournemouth for this spell of weather with regards to storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

I think something’s trying to happen right overhead...

Edited by Thunderstruck

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I wasn’t disputing the potency of storms in the west, just that they rarely track at the required NEE angle (maybe even NEEE!) to gather the momentum to be real pearls when they get to central areas.

We did get a beauty years back which come over from Wales / Gloucester area and that was a proper discrete cell but went on for about 2 hours

ah, I think see what you mean, i.e storms tracking almost due east from the west country?.......that actually might happen tonight believe it or not as a cold front sweeps eastwards across southern districts, the forcing could trigger some storms along/just ahead of the front which would track eastwards.....but yes apart from the classic 'Bristol Channel' streamer, west to east storms do seem quite rare