Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Just at services on a18. What are these little black gnatty  flies that are bloody everywhere? Can’t sit outside without them landing on me! They’re about 3mm long and very thin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
7 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I don’t understand these storms at all now.

Think I’ve lost the will to be a U.K. storm chaser any more.

If it can be this hot and humid and storms just refuse to happen over us then i’m at a complete loss understanding what conditions i’m supposed to be looking out for.

I share your pain bro! This is the thing, a while ago I read in a weather book, or perhaps a writing about storms in the UK on the internet, something about "South East England is the hotspot for thunder and lightning strikes in the UK." See, I think that is utter balls! I have said for years now, that this could be true ONLY if you live in Kent or East Sussex, and are subject to the predictable French imports from May to September. Otherwise, in my opinion, the best place to see big thunderstorms (and more so, homegrown, to boot) is midlands tracking north-east, with Lincs being a hotspot. I have seen this year after year now, Lincolnshire is a hotspot for storms that develop in say the north home counties and move north. By the time they're situated over Lincolnshire, they've developed into fully-fledged, strong thunderstorms, occasionally supercellular. 

I've just been on holiday to Norway for a week and a half, and now find myself temporarily bankrupt (well, until pay day next week) as it's so damn expensive there! But to drive four-five hours north, into the heart of fjords, to arrive at midnight, with enough light to set up my tent without needing a torch, and then witness lightning between the mountains and booming thunder, was truly a spectacle. As some Norwegians may say, "Thor was beating his hammer!!!" It was awesome! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

At the moment it is very hot and bright down here in tumbleweed-town (Reigate).

I see good radar echoes popping up in northern France and heading north into the Channel. Our area looks like it is in line for these so I'll be watching them with interest.  

And I see (sorry, a bit belatedly) the Met Office have updated their warning to cover the south and east. Even if I don't get action, I will appreciate any rain that comes our way.

I have noticed for some years that the Cherbourg area often gets large storms. It must be something to do with the geography there.

Edited by StormLoser

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
6 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

At the moment it is very hot and bright down here in tumbleweed-town (Reigate).

I see good radar echoes popping up in northern France and heading north into the Channel. Our area looks like it is in line for these so I'll be watching them with interest.  

And I see (sorry, a bit belatedly) the Met Office have updated their warning to cover the south and east. Even if I don't get action, I will appreciate any rain that comes our way.

I have noticed for some years that the Cherbourg area often gets large storms. It must be something to do with the geography there.

There’s a chance the channel will stop em in their tracks as happened last night. They will pep up again on one but I guess this is why the warning area is north of London.

hope you do get something out of it anyway though

Posted
14 minutes ago, Liima said:

Just at services on a18. What are these little black gnatty  flies that are bloody everywhere? Can’t sit outside without them landing on me! They’re about 3mm long and very thin.

Ugh those things! I remember being absolutely swarmed by them in France many years ago! The car windows were coated in them, and they got everywhere. Yuk. Bad luck.  

Posted
2 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

There’s a chance the channel will stop em in their tracks as happened last night. They will pep up again on one but I guess this is why the warning area is north of London.

hope you do get something out of it anyway though

Thank you! Though the Met Office has extended the warning area to the south, now. It matches Estofex's Level 1 area. So, I'm going to remain stubbornly hopeful! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
17 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

I share your pain bro! This is the thing, a while ago I read in a weather book, or perhaps a writing about storms in the UK on the internet, something about "South East England is the hotspot for thunder and lightning strikes in the UK." See, I think that is utter balls! I have said for years now, that this could be true ONLY if you live in Kent or East Sussex, and are subject to the predictable French imports from May to September. Otherwise, in my opinion, the best place to see big thunderstorms (and more so, homegrown, to boot) is midlands tracking north-east, with Lincs being a hotspot. I have seen this year after year now, Lincolnshire is a hotspot for storms that develop in say the north home counties and move north. By the time they're situated over Lincolnshire, they've developed into fully-fledged, strong thunderstorms, occasionally supercellular. 

I've just been on holiday to Norway for a week and a half, and now find myself temporarily bankrupt (well, until pay day next week) as it's so damn expensive there! But to drive four-five hours north, into the heart of fjords, to arrive at midnight, with enough light to set up my tent without needing a torch, and then witness lightning between the mountains and booming thunder, was truly a spectacle. As some Norwegians may say, "Thor was beating his hammer!!!" It was awesome! 

Nice!

looking forward to the 2nd half of summer - we are planning a holiday somewhere meditteranean and no more of this radar watching ‘10% chance of lightning or a drop of rain’ guff because they get storms there so regularly.

Also SSTs are up so we have a window to steal storms from Europe like you say - the only chance we get!

Just wondering - how come we rarely get storms tracking up from Cornwall / Dorset area? I guess it must be the winds rarely blow like that - but if we did surely storms would have plenty of hot land to feed off?

Anyway, got myself to the NE corner of the M25 and now it’s time for lunch. Woooo!

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
4 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Nice!

looking forward to the 2nd half of summer - we are planning a holiday somewhere meditteranean and no more of this radar watching ‘10% chance of lightning or a drop of rain’ guff because they get storms there so regularly.

Also SSTs are up so we have a window to steal storms from Europe like you say - the only chance we get!

Just wondering - how come we rarely get storms tracking up from Cornwall / Dorset area? I guess it must be the winds rarely blow like that - but if we did surely storms would have plenty of hot land to feed off?

Anyway, got myself to the NE corner of the M25 and now it’s time for lunch. Woooo!

Don't bank on the Med delivering LOL, it never has for me. I do better in Croatia/Montenegro!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Blimey a lot of cloud has suddenly appeared from, nothing to my west (quelle surprise). Quite explosive development.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Heat and humidity feels like it has shot up, urgh!

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Thunder heard in the channel.

Posted

Euro4 still showing intense cells developing around the Wash and Lincolnshire coast this evening.

Arome has the precip slightly further west over Lincolnshire.

Unable to access NW SR on mobile.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

At last the Liverpool TAF is onboard. 

The report was made 56 minutes ago, at 10:59UTC
Forecast valid from 27 at 12 UTC to 28 at 12 UTC
Wind 7 kt from the South/Southwest
Visibility 10 km or more
Few clouds at a height of 3500 ft
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 27 at 12 UTC to 27 at 20 UTC
Visibility: 7000 m
rain showers
Temporary
from 27 at 20 UTC to 28 at 01 UTC
Visibility: 6000 m
rain showers
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 27 at 20 UTC to 27 at 24 UTC
Visibility: 4000 m
heavy rain showers, thunderstorm, rain
Becoming
from 28 at 00 UTC to 28 at 03 UTC
Wind 11 kt from the South/Southeast
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 28 at 05 UTC to 28 at 12 UTC
Visibility: 5000 m
thunderstorm, rain
Becoming
from 28 at 06 UTC to 28 at 09 UTC
Wind 11 kt from the South/Southwest
The report was made 56 minutes ago, at 10:59UTC
Forecast valid from 27 at 12 UTC to 28 at 12 UTC
Wind 7 kt from the South/Southwest
Visibility 10 km or more
Few clouds at a height of 3500 ft
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 27 at 12 UTC to 27 at 20 UTC
Visibility: 7000 m
rain showers
Temporary
from 27 at 20 UTC to 28 at 01 UTC
Visibility: 6000 m
rain showers
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 27 at 20 UTC to 27 at 24 UTC
Visibility: 4000 m
heavy rain showers, thunderstorm, rain
Becoming
from 28 at 00 UTC to 28 at 03 UTC
Wind 11 kt from the South/Southeast
Probability 30% :
Temporary
from 28 at 05 UTC to 28 at 12 UTC
Visibility: 5000 m
thunderstorm, rain
Becoming
from 28 at 06 UTC to 28 at 09 UTC
Wind 11 kt from the South/Southwest

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Euro4 still showing intense cells developing around the Wash and Lincolnshire coast this evening.

Arome has the precip slightly further west over Lincolnshire.

Unable to access NW SR on mobile.

yes please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Lots of high level instability here now, as well as an amber warning being issued

Posted
58 minutes ago, Liima said:

Are they not storm flies ??

Posted

Action just across the channel increasing ?

Edited by Biggin

Posted

Thunder flies were very common in the 76 summer! Watch those storms in the channel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Have enjoyed a stroll on the beach but it has now become too hot to walk, too hot to sit in my car and so I have had to resort to finding a tree to sit underneath until things start happening. Clear blue skies and hot sunshine on the Lincolnshire coast.

Liking the look of the Amber warning

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: NLCs and Thunderstorms

Thrips. More commonly known as thunderflies, thunderbugs, stormflies... Maybe they're a good omen for storm-chasing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
34 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Nice!

Depends where you go. I'd say the Alps and Central into Eastern Europe is a good bet for storms. Italy and south-east Europe not bad either. But then again, the Low Countries into NW Germany get a sizable share of whoppers which develop over France and track NW. If you want somewhere easy to see lightning, go to Florida! Or better still, chase NNW from say Alabama to Nebraska! Arizona can be a spectacle in late July/August too, when they have the "South-West Monsoon" I believe they call it, when typically hot, dry air in the SW United States, begins to turn more humid, and things go out with a bang. I saw a phenomenal lightning show just outside Phoenix about 10 years ago, in August I think. 

Not sure about Cornwall/Dorset. Though, there were some big thunderstorms west of the New Forest into Cornwall and Devon, earlier this summer. Must be land mass-related. It's cooler there too, compared to the South-East. I'm sure a number of factors come into play, when we're looking at the tracking and location of thunderstorms in Britain. 

It's oppressive right now in south Bucks, really not enjoying this heat/humidity. And tonight I'm up in the city, which will be even worse! Mind, me and the mrs are doing some thames boat cruise thingy, might get a nice breeze, and perhaps treated to a light show from mother nature! Still, I'll believe that when I see it! 

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Still nothing from Sat24

https://en.sat24.com/en

i would like to see the sat returns for developements:nonono:

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/satellite.php?region=uk&mode=animation-visible-france

This is what I've been using recently (EUMETSAT). Images are much clearer than sat24 but updates less frequently.