Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Posted
59 minutes ago, Tikka_69 said:

Constant thundering here in sunny doncaster with a bit of rain but no lightening

i can't make a post without it quoting previous how do you do this on here?

All storms seemed to have moved off north,now sunny in Donny and rainfall radar shows no more showers south of Yorkshire at moment

Edited by ntc03533278

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy!
20 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I am not in Mablethorpe. I would advise any chasers heading to the east coast of Lincolnshire to avoid busy spots like Skeggy, Mablethorpe or Cleethorpes or you may get traffic screwed

Being local to those area's I couldn't agree more. Donna Nook is a good spot as it's in between Mablethorpe and Cleethorpes and you can see what's coming for miles. The place always seems to attract storms as they head out to sea, also for a more panoramic view The Wolds roads from Louth to Binbrook seem alright but Louth- Horncastle road is good too. There's a place I go just outside Louth on the A157, just park up and watch em roll in!!

Cheers Glenn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

A balmy 29° in hackney - but with the aircon on I’ve forgotten how warm it is outside.

Saw turkey towers earlier and they just evaporated to nothing in about 5 mins - was quite weird

Skies are surprisingly clear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Something definitely erupted to my south can hear near constant low rumbles.  

Posted

Can someone a tad more knowledgeable answer this:  I am happy to see some storms on the way this morning and can hear them rumbling away to the south of me as I type.  However the sky has gone really grey and temp has dropped.  Will this have some effect on the forecast storm development later this afternoon?  I'd hate to think that it'll stay grey and cloudy all day now or the scud doesn't clear and then affect the chances later? 

Posted

it has been sunny now in Donny for the last hour which unfortunately has meant all that thunder and lightning and rain was a waste of time, the humidity has risen sharply in the last hour as well, I know Keeley Donovan said on Look North last night that the temps maybe higher than they were showing if the showers were less than forecast.

So could be another hot one in South Yorkshire if showers stay away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
43 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

Yeah, I'm weighing up whether to head up the M11 and see how it unfolds OR sit tight and wait for a chance on an MCS later. Friday traffic though :(

I was kind of spoiled on holiday, but I swear to god I will kick myself if I miss something 50 miles away this afternoon. Also after seeing the towers going up illuminated by the moonlight in the early hours, I'm considering the eclipse might be a photo op.

Argh I don't know! At least it's heating up tho.

I'm in a good position for a change with a couple of nice spots to park (one is what I would call a little exposed though but with a great 360 deg view!). Will a case of zoom in and decide at the last minute!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well a few thundery showers plenty of Thunder but only a few visible strikes so mostly cloud to cloud then. Produced a grand total of 1.4mm of rain according to the Davis.

Temps now rocketing so it's a question now if we get lucky later on. Local forecast already wrong so can't use that as I guide.

• Like 2

Posted

Upper level instability already in essex20180727_103503.thumb.jpg.9080833fba36a98c02de7b57fe53bcf4.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

It’s rumbling away in Plymouth but nothing on the radar? 

Posted
12 minutes ago, P-M said:

Can someone a tad more knowledgeable answer this:  I am happy to see some storms on the way this morning and can hear them rumbling away to the south of me as I type.  However the sky has gone really grey and temp has dropped.  Will this have some effect on the forecast storm development later this afternoon?  I'd hate to think that it'll stay grey and cloudy all day now or the scud doesn't clear and then affect the chances later? 

That temperature drop could be due to cold outflow from the base of the storm. You're getting air that's been up high and falls to the ground and spreads out. The inflow is the important thing, if the storm still has a source of warm air it will continue to build. Your temperature should rise once the sun comes out, well, until the cold front has passed you. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

That temperature drop could be due to cold outflow from the base of the storm. You're getting air that's been up high and falls to the ground and spreads out. The inflow is the important thing, if the storm still has a source of warm air it will continue to build. Your temperature should rise once the sun comes out, well, until the cold front has passed you. 

Much appreciated thank you for that.  The thunder is becoming more constant now so fingers crossed it passes quickly and then the real heating can begin!  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, philglossop said:

It’s rumbling away in Plymouth but nothing on the radar? 

Really, nothing on radar or any of the lightning detection networks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Really, nothing on radar or any of the lightning detection networks. 

Yes it most strange. But as I’m patrolling I can hear it. Only about 5 times in the last hour - there it goes again - six times!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

LNER advising passengers not to travel at all today due to lightning strikes in the York area

3 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Yes it most strange. But as I’m patrolling I can hear it. Only about 5 times in the last hour - there it goes again - six times!

Military exercise? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
56 minutes ago, GlennP2 said:

Being local to those area's I couldn't agree more. Donna Nook is a good spot as it's in between Mablethorpe and Cleethorpes and you can see what's coming for miles. The place always seems to attract storms as they head out to sea, also for a more panoramic view The Wolds roads from Louth to Binbrook seem alright but Louth- Horncastle road is good too. There's a place I go just outside Louth on the A157, just park up and watch em roll in!!

Cheers Glenn

Thanks for that mate, it is good to hear of some good places as I often just chase and hope for the best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Just had a good few hours sleep. What a treat it was to see some very clear cut Distant lightning and just constant rolling thunder. It hasn’t helped the humidity, it’s still stifling! All about the SB activity today though. I’m on standby, but shouldn’t have to travel too far seen as I’m in the high risk zone! 

• Like 1

Posted

Crashed to bed at 3am knowing the sun was up at 5:15am this morning and any distant lightning would be lost to the daylight, missed the cells to the East for any observation of structure but it's the big-boy storms for this afternoon and i'm more awake and refreshed than pulling a all-nighter through the oppressive temperature in the house. 

Posted
59 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Just had a good few hours sleep. What a treat it was to see some very clear cut Distant lightning and just constant rolling thunder. It hasn’t helped the humidity, it’s still stifling! All about the SB activity today though. I’m on standby, but shouldn’t have to travel too far seen as I’m in the high risk zone! 

the lightning last night was great, thunder sounded great to, not sure about our chances today, forecast seems to be chopping and changing. Now seem to be under cloudless skies, weather station saying temp is 30.6c humidity 47%

Edited by sparky1972

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
7 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

the lightning last night was great, thunder sounded great to, not sure about our chances today, forecast seems to be chopping and changing. Now seem to be under cloudless skies, weather station saying temp is 30.6c humidity 47%

Incredible wasn’t it. Reminded me of being in Majorca at dawn given the temp and unimpeded views of cloud top lightning. Normally North Sea muck scuppers that for us, so rare to see. 

Anyway, the clear slot we are in now is sending temps skyrocketing, here’s a satellite shot. Them small cells going over Cherbourg need to be watched as soon as they tap onto our land at say IOW, plus I’m expecting some explosive development in that clear slot soon. 

1F7C24F9-5E26-4A68-8539-2D0E5B5B348A.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Suns back out in the great north east - humidity rocketing now again after this mornings storms.  Fingers crossed this afternoon looks great for a large part of the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Hoping for some activity East of Loughborough. Had a 10 minute slash and crash last night. Saw the light show around 4.30am over Grantham way.

Just hope we get something. 

We have had clear skies but now getting cloud rolling in.