Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Posted

Constant thundering here in sunny doncaster with a bit of rain but no lightening

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Rumbles of thunder on and off here in South Yorks for past couple of hours, might have started earlier but that's when I woke up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

2798C818-300F-42E9-B63A-BA3A3219010E.thumb.jpeg.7ba035c73cf2fb0b411f1dac3fca7ec2.jpeg

Unfortunate for those in central areas, but I think this is gonna be pretty spot on for later today.

I’m ignoring the white box zone (liking the shade of yellow more) but wouldn’t rule out some sporadic cells popping up here and there.

Don’t know how well this covers ongoing activity into tomo?

I think the cutoff for this chart is 3am - there was chatter of more general thundery rain more centrally throughout the day tomo, albeit without the severe aspect 

Let’s see what happens...

1 minute ago, Tikka_69 said:

Constant thundering here in sunny doncaster with a bit of rain but no lightening

Same here - though I assure you there is lightning, we just can't see it  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Belper actually got a storm . However I am on the east coast near to Mablethorpe. Plenty of thunderstorms on my drive here during this morning, although the strongest storms were on the east coast whilst I was chasing storms near to Lincoln. I hadn't planned on heading this far until later but may aswell stay put despite it all being fairly quiet here now (bar some very distant rumbles out to sea). Thr sun is out and I am hoping to see some big storms later.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Like some others, I was woken up by thunder this morning - very deep, booming thunder at that. All passing by to the east mind you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
6 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Belper actually got a storm . However I am on the east coast near to Mablethorpe. Plenty of thunderstorms on my drive here during this morning, although the strongest storms were on the east coast whilst I was chasing storms near to Lincoln. I hadn't planned on heading this far until later but may aswell stay put despite it all being fairly quiet here now (bar some very distant rumbles out to sea). Thr sun is out and I am hoping to see some big storms later.

Haha, a day out on the beach with lightning for desert

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Supacell said:

How have you found parking there? :)

Posted

Good morning all, well do direct hit last night but an hour or so,s impresive lightening, unfortunatly very cloudy skies here this morning keeping conditions very fresh and wont help any storm potential for later i feel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Had lightning in Northants about 3-4am onwards for almost an hour, I wasn't there but my cameras picked it up, so possibly what you guys in S.Yorks are getting is what was there earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

So apparently a storm formed overhead here last night. And did it wake me up? No. 

This afternoon better deliver the goods now. To be fair I think it will. 

Posted
18 minutes ago, Tikka_69 said:

I must have been imagining those flashes outside my window on and off between 7 and 9 this morning then it definetly has lightened a number of times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Rumbles of thunder in the distance as the storm passes to my east

42da736f-ec32-46ef-ac70-38c527522ea8.thumb.png.d588ba5374855c563917f1030ea5cf46.png

Edited by Summer Sun

7 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

Good morning all, well do direct hit last night but an hour or so,s impresive lightening, unfortunatly very cloudy skies here this morning keeping conditions very fresh and wont help any storm potential for later i feel.

Atmosphere ripe for potential later mate :) 

Posted
3 minutes ago, ntc03533278 said:

I must have been imagining those flashes outside my window on and off between 7 and 9 this morning then it definetly has lightened a number of times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Hi everyone

Sorry for the imby question but what are the chances for the south east this evening Essex based.  BBC saying yes with a warning. metro saying no with no warning. I guess this is a nowcast situation where we should expect the unexpected. Good and bad...any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Good luck to everyone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
20 minutes ago, Liima said:

How have you found parking there?

I am not in Mablethorpe. I would advise any chasers heading to the east coast of Lincolnshire to avoid busy spots like Skeggy, Mablethorpe or Cleethorpes or you may get traffic screwed

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

It sounds like some family members up in Yorkshire are getting some good storms. 

One thing amazes me as a weather geek is how people’s view of what’s going on is so localised, almost to the street they live on. I saw someone commenting how it was “blue sky but thundering, weird weather” when in fact there we’re storms less than a mile away. It’s almost as if people look at one small patch of sky out of one window and think that’s indicative of the whole sky! If they’d probably looked out of another they’d have noticed the great big looming storm clouds!   

Peoples perception of weather fascinates me. 

Edited by John Hodgson
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: NLCs and Thunderstorms

At home in York we were in the firing line this morning, with a storm passing overhead at 7:30-8:00am.

I'm now at work near Malton and deep rumbles are approaching once again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

We are unfortunately placed for Surface based storms I agree, there simply is not the land track for Essex and Surrey in our locales. You have to get very lucky with a NE Moving storm to form for you just inland from the Hampshire Coast or for me north of Brighton. Otherwise its MU Cape Storms from France which deliver or get annoyed by Surface based Supercells raging in NW France that lose intensity as they encounter the English Channel.

I would take a punt on a possible MCS This evening for our area so all is not lost..................yet

Other than That East Cambs, Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincs looks primed if you can drive just a little bit north today.

Yeah, I'm weighing up whether to head up the M11 and see how it unfolds OR sit tight and wait for a chance on an MCS later. Friday traffic though :(

I was kind of spoiled on holiday, but I swear to god I will kick myself if I miss something 50 miles away this afternoon. Also after seeing the towers going up illuminated by the moonlight in the early hours, I'm considering the eclipse might be a photo op.

Argh I don't know! At least it's heating up tho.

• Like 1

Posted

I know you have to be careful with radar but this storm near Barnsley seems to have an interesting and sustained shape on radar. 

6036C2BD-9B53-4060-BDD1-F70ABBA610B8.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, John Hodgson said:

I know you have to be careful with radar but this storm near Barnsley seems to have an interesting and sustained shape on radar. 

6036C2BD-9B53-4060-BDD1-F70ABBA610B8.jpeg

That's just passed over my head,nothing special bar heavy rain for 5 mins,few rumbles of thunder but we've had better this morning.

Looks like it's brightening now.

Posted
Just now, Mark Walker said:

That's just passed over my head,nothing special bar heavy rain for 5 mins,few rumbles of thunder but we've had better this morning.

Looks like it's brightening now.

I wasn’t commenting on the intestity but there’s a couple of the more isolated storms including that one showing that kidney bean shape which is a sign of shear. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

It sounds like some family members up in Yorkshire are getting some good storms. 

One thing amazes me as a weather geek is how people’s view of what’s going on is so localised, almost to the street they live on. I saw someone commenting how it was “blue sky but thundering, weird weather” when in fact there we’re storms less than a mile away. It’s almost as if people look at one small patch of sky out of one window and think that’s indicative of the whole sky! If they’d probably looked out of another they’d have noticed the great big looming storm clouds!   

Peoples perception of weather fascinates me. 

I think a lot of it comes down to surface/elevated and day/night too. Yesterday’s surface-based stuff gave me constant daytime rumbles but no lightning when the storm was in East Leeds, about 3-4 miles away. On the other hand, that elevated Yorkshire supercell a few years back was still visible, strobing away when the maps had it over County Durham, a good 80 miles to the north east. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Gone quite dark and can hear rumbles in the distance but not sure where from? Lovely clouds this morning though! 

IMG_20180727_100035.jpg

EDIT: Deep rolling thunder now heard to my south and east.

Shows how humid it is my Bordeaux is melting with it so had to improvise with a cold towel  lol 

IMG_20180727_073558.jpg

Edited by P-M
  • Like 1