Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Posted

The high frequency of CC lightning in the storm to the E-NE of Kettering is something I've rarely witnessed (if ever). Must be quite extraordinary for those directly beneath the cell at present. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

This is fr*gging nuts. So glad I’ve stayed up. Not often there’s an even more active storm that fires to the west! Can hear the booms getting closer 

I'm hoping the cell to your West heads our way aha

Edit:

Though it looks to be doing just that so far

Edited by TJS1998Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just heard thunder, must've come from the IOW. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, shadyjam said:

The high frequency of CC lightning in the storm to the E-NE of Kettering is something I've rarely witnessed (if ever). Must be quite extraordinary for those directly beneath the cell at present. 

Did it get very noisy in Kettering? 

Posted

im kinda camping in my back yard in my lovely fishing camp bed and i just awoke to a flash and my strike alert going off to my south west .. 

Lightning detectors only picking up about one in five flashes from the IOW storm. 

Annoying as they are about 10miles too Far East to warrant me getting out of bed. Bedroom lighting up though and low distant grumbles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

I’m sandwiched between two cells at the moment, the one which is now to my E had some very decent crawlers on it. Both seem to be not trying very hard now though, but what IS a bit good is the Moon illuminating the cloudscapes.

E6E8FE1D-E2E4-48F8-812B-1505460140D1.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

The Chelmsford cell just keeps on giving! Every time I think it’s going to stop The elevated lightning delivers a crystal clear C-C.

Estofex looking interesting (and in line with Nick F’s & Dan H’s forecast too). Just chatting to the folks at Essex weather on Twitter, we have a shared concern about the residual cloud pegging back the temps by lunchtime, so fingers crossed once this lot is through the sun can get going and so it’s thing. I just need to decide if I am going to try and catch the Supercellular potential to my north in the afternoon, or sit tight and wait for the MCS  to come to me in the evening. <lazy chasing> but I really don’t want to be caught in Friday traffic!

i really ought to go back to bed.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

The Chelmsford cell just keeps on giving! Every time I think it’s going to stop The elevated lightning delivers a crystal clear C-C.

Estofex looking interesting (and in line with Nick F’s & Dan H’s forecast too). Just chatting to the folks at Essex weather on Twitter, we have a shared concern about the residual cloud pegging back the temps by lunchtime, so fingers crossed once this lot is through the sun can get going and so it’s thing. I just need to decide if I am going to try and catch the Supercellular potential to my north in the afternoon, or sit tight and wait for the MCS  to come to me in the evening. <lazy chasing> but I really don’t want to be caught in Friday traffic!

i really ought to go back to bed.

I was about to go to sleep until I noticed the cell near Gratham picking up as I know there's going to be some good potential this afternoon : P 

Posted

I can see a distant anvil to the east of me from the storms near Southampton . On another note it is 25.C at London City Airport at 4am! 

Posted
5 minutes ago, ThundersnowDays said:

I can see a distant anvil to the east of me from the storms near Southampton . On another note it is 25.C at London City Airport at 4am! 

I don't agree with them, but you can see how 37 gets predicted when you're starting the day like that! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

The cell over the wash now is producing some of the most constant l-C lightning I’ve ever seen. 

Here are some shots of the storms

8D4B936F-22BD-4D7F-A132-D774486B6E4E.png

E5974972-BB4E-4E21-96E3-797B9DC6ED9A.png

7107302D-17D6-4E2D-B005-D8711DC7A9C6.jpeg

ABF242D3-0A4F-48A0-B97C-0B0FC2546A06.png

C53B3CAC-6606-4CFE-B57F-02FF74B14B76.png

15C40763-6D85-4108-8D0C-6366D051F5EE.png

8D9FEAEA-640B-49EE-8802-E83DC88EB85F.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

This is either where we get lucky or it suddenly goes East, had some good flashes though

image.thumb.png.0ee3f021b63965a45b6ce2f14be9ed0e.png

Edited by TJS1998Tom
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon

Constant flashes I’m in  ingoldmells tonight for 2 hours straight constant rumbling and heavy burst of showers with flooding pavements , a lightning strike had hit my garden directly unluckily I didn’t catch the video in time ! Stay safe everybody !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I don’t understand these storms at all now.

Think I’ve lost the will to be a U.K. storm chaser any more.

If it can be this hot and humid and storms just refuse to happen over us then i’m at a complete loss understanding what conditions i’m supposed to be looking out for.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Missed out for the second time in this heat spell...  Lets hope we get something later today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

Missed out for the second time in this heat spell...  Lets hope we get something later today!

That’s the thing - hope all you want, this summer is just one convective disappointment after another for the CS which is badly in need of some rain now.

Don't rate the chances for anywhere south or west of London - but then I could be wrong.

Just tired of the wait now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well if the met text forecasts are to be believed and there will be no storms anywhere except for the Far East during the next 48 hours. I have seen them get it very wrong before though. I think I will put my trust in the likes of Nick F, Dan and Tony G.