Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
Just now, LightningLover said:

Don't worry mate! As others have mentioned, these plume-type scenarios often destabilise abruptly with little warning... We have plenty of time yet!

I don’t - I’ve only got til bedtime! (about 1am)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
Just now, Robert Lewis said:

Even that rain in the channel is running out of momentum, was hoping that might be a sign of something coming to life later on. 

Worry not. It’s usual for residual afternoon activity to run out of steam, only to give way to a renewed rapid explosion of elevated activity usually around midnight. Remember seeing the great Bournemouth storm of July 3rd 2015 start off as a single speck in the channel around 23:30

Posted

well does not look like anything for here overnight, clear skies and  pleasent feel, should be more comfy for sleeping, and no storms to wake me up, lol

Edited by sparky1972

Posted
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Is there another cloud radar somewhere? Sat24 is doing my head in!

is there a Sat23?

I tend to use this, updates every 5 minutes http://meteoradar.co.uk/clouds-sun-UK-Ireland

Edit:

Though then again that's also acting up a bit

Edited by TJS1998Tom

Posted
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Worry not. It’s usual for residual afternoon activity to run out of steam, only to give way to a renewed rapid explosion of elevated activity usually around midnight. Remember seeing the great Bournemouth storm of July 3rd 2015 start off as a single speck in the channel around 23:30

23:30!?

Posted

I looked at weather data from that night, even the channel was pretty quiet before 10pm, it only really started late and then 90/120 mins later you had that amazing cell. 

Edited by Robert Lewis

Posted
53 minutes ago, Robert Lewis said:

Yes I believe that storm did cover some serious miles after coming to life right on the Bournemouth coastline, there was some activity in the channel that started around 10pm, it was all ticking along then between 11:30/midnight or so, then one cell went for land, the amount of lightning accelerated incredibly and then it went right over Bournemouth and carried on NNE from memory. Many called it a supercell around the time. 

That night was magical here.

a friend and I took some camping chairs and a load of booze to a high vantage point looking south with our cameras set up on tripods ready for any action.

just after midnight we saw the first distant flashes and when it moved closer it was positively strobing. 

I said to my friend at the time I’m sure this is supercellular as you could see striations in the cloud whenever it lit up.

i was so drunk though by this point I couldn’t operate my camera:( 

It was still amazing (and dangerous) being out in the open like that underneath the flashing sky just staring up at it in awe for a good hour or so.

• Like 2

Posted

I’m actually only annoyed because I spooked some deer just now and *thought* I’d taken an amazing video of one gambolling through a wheat field - then I realised it hadn’t registered me hit the ‘record’ button...

Storms: you have another chance - but don’t let me down this time yeah?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Robert Lewis said:

I looked at weather data from that night, even the channel was pretty quiet before 10pm, it only really started late and then 90/120 mins later you had that amazing cell. 

Probably the most memorable storm of the last 6 years was that one. Even reached here with guns fully blazing 2 hours later! Had a tremendous lightning rate throughout its journey NNE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

To much Negativity on here saying it’s not happening etc, give it chance, we have seen plenty of times before nothing happening then all of a sudden it kicks of and goes mental not long after. I’d say I’m too far west but there maybe some distant lightening. You never no but anywhere east of here has a pretty good chance imo

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

That night was magical here.

a friend and I took some camping chairs and a load of booze to a high vantage point looking south with our cameras set up on tripods ready for any action.

just after midnight we saw the first distant flashes and when it moved closer it was positively strobing. 

I said to my friend at the time I’m sure this is supercellular as you could see striations in the cloud whenever it lit up.

i was so drunk though by this point I couldn’t operate my camera:( 

It was still amazing (and dangerous) being out in the open like that underneath the flashing sky just staring up at it in awe for a good hour or so.

I bet it looked amazing, i was tempted to follow it after it passed over Bournemouth but the misses who was trying to sleep wouldn't have been too happy about it. The stats are on here somewhere but the amount of lightning to hit Bournemouth alone in a short spell was nothing short of incredible.

Edited by Robert Lewis

Posted
7 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

I tend to use this, updates every 5 minutes http://meteoradar.co.uk/clouds-sun-UK-Ireland

Edit:

Though then again that's also acting up a bit

Lol it’s gone all weird like the clouds are having a bop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

That's the visible satellite, you won't see anything at night. Click the infrared link.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Patience is the key tonight.. 

Tomorrow is a game of radar watching (and tonight) 

Can’t explain my excitement for this next 36hrs. I certainly won’t be getting much sleep, camera fully charged and a full tank of fuel too! 

Just feels so primed, more so than it’s ever been before here anyway. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Good things come to those who wait

Posted

Can’t explain my excitement for this next 36hrs. I certainly won’t be getting much sleep, camera fully charged and a full tank of fuel too! 

i hope your right, maybe this afternoon was just a taster of things to come

• Like 1

Posted

I have the feeling that something pretty impressive could be on the cards, storms passed around us today but today I saw some of the most impressive clouds I've ever seen, especially for our area

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Euro4 (often held on here as an authority in terms of short term convective potential) is going for widespread eruptions on or shortly before midnight around CS England, growing rapidly upscale and spreading NE. That time is getting closer.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Robert Lewis said:

post-3724-0-27269700-1435964226_thumb.png.659a8af76a5ee6b407eafc573fb0a296.pngpost-16206-0-75658800-1435962877_thumb.jpg.ff3a9a807b9209bf004c0144d4f21a6a.jpgpost-9530-0-45584300-1435973507_thumb.jpg.8da88e0d297d39f03586e4de5bd64e3d.jpg The strike counter is particularly impressive. 

yeah the lightning count for that night was huge - wish i could've been in bournemouth. still had a great view from oxford, even without taking a direct hit

total_strikes[03&04-7-15].png-large.png

• Like 3