Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Posted

I know it's not 100% accurate but there are hundreds of lightning strikes from the Doncaster airport storm. Very impressive. 

Screenshot_20180726-162157_Blitzortung Lightning Monitor.jpg

11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Bournemouth is a possibility. But, the steering flow takes everything East of me.

Sure? Echoes starting to show up to the south of Portland, however no real oomph in things at the moment.

Edited by Alderc

Posted

This is crazy, nearly 100 strikes a minute! Would love to see something like this tonight. I can imagine the lightning would be amazing

image.thumb.png.b3ab4796026d85d175de6385db58da0a.png

Posted

8.8 mm in 4 mins, rain cascaded of main roof and garage, somehow triggered the doorbell twice, now down to slight, T=26.1 C and Td 20 C, like awarm bath, bloke next door in trunks in his garden!, very little thunder through it althought the noise perhaps obscured it and no lightning.

Rainfall gauge shows 153.6 mm p hr at 1615 but it was heavier after this time so be interesting to see what it became.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

seems to be storms breaking out all around us, we are in a small area of bright hot sunshine

I just had a torrential downpour pour can hear thunder here rumbling constant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
19 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Bournemouth is a possibility. But, the steering flow takes everything East of me.

yes, probably a tad too far west here as well.......in saying that, towering Ac Cas is streaming by here currently, so never say never

Posted
Just now, Stephanie Starr said:

I just had a torrential downpour pour can hear thunder here rumbling constant

we had a few spots here in Moulton, everything now bone dry but can hear constant thunder all around us, bathed in sunshine at the mo

Posted
3 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

we had a few spots here in Moulton, everything now bone dry but can hear constant thunder all around us, bathed in sunshine at the mo

Yes constant thunder. Think it could be an impressive night but bloody hot. It's spitting again here but after that down pour roughly 20 mins ago it's bone dry again t was a good down pour as well. It was coming out end of guttering 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny

Can see that big cell too my south now hope it’s heading for me Whitby north York’s 

Radar seems to suggest the storms leaving the French coast are most likely surface based hence them not sustaining themselves. Cloud bases in northern France appear to be 1500-3000ft. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

At this stage I'd just be happy of some rain ....... T-Storms would be a bonus but rain would be fine as it has been weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Radar seems to suggest the storms leaving the French coast are most likely surface based hence them not sustaining themselves. Cloud bases in northern France appear to be 1500-3000ft. 

is this likely to change later on?

Posted

The 153.6 mm p hr rate confirmed as update show not heavier after it.

No idea why my door bell just been triggered again either, swept about 3 inches water out of the back of the garage!

T=23.9 C, Td=21C, sunshine breaking through again, reminds me of Singapore!

Visibility when at its heaviest would be about 1500 metres.

1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

is this likely to change later on?

Clearly there is something of a shortwave in the channel destabilizing things to the south of Dorset however remains weak currently, would expect this strengthen is it lifted further north and east.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

I had a look at the metoffice sigwx Vfr aviation charts earlier and they suggest that this trough may bring something a little later on. 

1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Clearly there is something of a shortwave in the channel destabilizing things to the south of Dorset however remains weak currently, would expect this strengthen is it lifted further north and east.  

Posted
14 minutes ago, Stephanie Starr said:

Yes constant thunder. Think it could be an impressive night but bloody hot. It's spitting again here but after that down pour roughly 20 mins ago it's bone dry again t was a good down pour as well. It was coming out end of guttering 

Winds really picked up here but no rain to speak of, storms always seem to skirt around here, hoping to get a good light show later as it gets darker.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

York is about to get clobbered, looking like we will see more than 1mm since June 2nd. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Stephanie Starr said:

We keep brewing storms for the North at the moment, hoping this is just a taste for what we might get tonight, wasn't expecting anywhere to get storms as big as they have been the past few hours this early 

Posted
Just now, TJS1998Tom said:

We keep brewing storms for the North at the moment, hoping this is just a taste for what we might get tonight, wasn't expecting anywhere to get storms as big as they have been the past few hours this early 

Would be great to have a good night time storm, seems years since we had a good one.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, sparky1972 said:

Would be great to have a good night time storm, seems years since we had a good one.

Ayee, the last one I remember was July 2015. Started off elevated with flashes in the sky before getting the main lot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: NLCs and Thunderstorms

Skies darkening and constant rumbles on approach to Malton - cameras running

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

As I suspected the activity what there is is to the east of us. We may get a shower later on if the storm shield lets it out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Shame it is going the wrong way. Nice to see some proper convective skies.

20180726_170835.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1