Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
Just now, Petorious said:

Rumble of thunder a few seconds ago! Northampton cell.. 

That's a sigh of relief, thought it was going to be a bust

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

You can see on satellite that the cap’s keeping the clouds supressed.

There’s also a lot of cloud filling in the remaining clear spells between the two fronts (though we are well past the stage that heating would do much anyway).

I have a feelin we are rapidly moving towards a bust (of sorts - considering the forecasts were very restrained anyway).

It’s the usual story of a couple of hours on the precipice of something, but that vital kick is missing and it all falls flat...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Strange lightning apps not picking anything up, yet its pretty consistent lightning and thunder here now for the past 15 minutes or so... 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Petorious said:

Strange lightning apps not picking anything up, yet its pretty consistent lightning and thunder here now for the past 15 minutes or so... 

Intra cloud perhaps?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Petorious said:

Could be elevated? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I cannot see anything relating to capping on various extended skew-t charts, just a lack of any proper ingredients, apart from high PWAT levels making a deluge more likely.

Lightning being picked up 22 miles away from this weatherflow station: https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/3013/graph/5994/lightning/2

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

God knows why these beastly clouds are not releasing any precipitation, you can even smell them in the sky

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I cannot see anything relating to capping on various extended skew-t charts, just a lack of any proper ingredients, apart from high PWAT levels making a deluge more likely.

Lightning being picked up 22 miles away from this weatherflow station: https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/3013/graph/5994/lightning/2

Completely agree that lack of any real heat was a primary issue today, but there’s still something of a cap to be overcome - just looked to my eye like the larger cells of the CZ have been spreading out rather than up

Posted
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Completely agree that lack of any real heat was a primary issue today, but there’s still something of a cap to be overcome - just looked to my eye like the larger cells of the CZ have been spreading out rather than up

From convectiveweather:

It is worth noting that there is still some considerable uncertainty over whether any showers will develop - forecast soundings exhibit a slight warm nose at 700mb which may limit the depth of convective cloud

Posted
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I’m still learning about warm noses - probably what I thought was a cap

Things may pick up again as cooling begins. Warning is out until midnight, so plenty of time. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Things may pick up again as cooling begins. Warning is out until midnight, so plenty of time. 

Tony mentions capping on UKWW:

IMO today's outlook has ultimately become dependant on a fine line of condusive conditions. A number of small convective cells have tried to punch through the cap but quickly subsided. This is very evident if we re wind radar so far today. We are now approaching a point where we lose surface heating and the any results will be unlikely based on the overal synoptic set up.

For me, I see the classic condition of a strong mid level cap as was very clear within the 12z Larkhill ascent. This is why there were isolated pockets of strong dbz shown, but which just as quickly dissipated. The evidence is already shown, and it would have required some big surface warming with moisture to overcome this layer.”

(Couldn’t remember how to put this in quotes)

He also mentioned the potential of cold-pooling too - so like you say looks like we’re good for a few hours yet

Edit: is mid-level cap the same as a warm nose?

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Neglectedchicken said:

God knows why these beastly clouds are not releasing any precipitation, you can even smell them in the sky

maybe there's not enough surface heat or something?

• Like 1

Posted

Northampton cell travelling north east on the radar perhaps merging with another developing cell, keep in mind surface heating will regenerate it as it goes along, as you can see im saying anything to keep my hopes up 

Edited by Neglectedchicken

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Once again the Met Office weather warning was fatuous. It was unnecessary for them to put a warning out for this and I am surprised they misread it so badly. 

After a grey day here with no sun and a few spots of drizzle, our surface forcing is about as much as lighting a match on the patio, so we'll only get what's generated elsewhere and pushed our way by the trough moving south east.

I'm just popping out now to light some matches...lol    

On the plus side, it looks like I may see some rain for the garden later on! It's about time the tumbleweed was washed down.  

Estofex forecast was, as usual, spot on.  

Posted
1 minute ago, StormLoser said:

Once again the Met Office weather warning was fatuous. It was unnecessary for them to put a warning out for this and I am surprised they misread it so badly. 

After a grey day here with no sun and a few spots of drizzle, our surface forcing is about as much as lighting a match on the patio, so we'll only get what's generated elsewhere and pushed our way by the trough moving south east.

I'm just popping out now to light some matches...lol    

On the plus side, it looks like I may see some rain for the garden later on! It's about time the tumbleweed was washed down.  

Estofex forecast was, as usual, spot on.  

I don’t like Estofex anymore for the very reason that they are so accurate - and seem to never put the U.K. in a risk zone

• Like 1

Posted

What????!!!!  The sun's just broken through!!!  All those matches wasted - or perhaps I burnt the clouds away.  Still not enough for forcing though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
25 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Edit: is mid-level cap the same as a warm nose?

yes....a layer of warm air, in this instance at the 700hpa layer acting as a lid......nocturnal cooling though might reverse this to a certain degree as mapantz referred to

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I don’t like Estofex anymore for the very reason that they are so accurate - and seem to never put the U.K. in a risk zone

They put us in a 1 zone back in May when we had the big storms down here. Again, they were spot on. Sadly each and every one of those storms missed me. On the plus side I had a good view as they passed north over south London. Some good lightning!

My first instinct is always: "what does Estofex say?"  I queried the Met Office about the contradictions between the forecasts one day, only be told very sniffily that Estofex models were different to the Met Office's ones and (what I read into it) is the MO would never dirty their forecasts with such rubbish.

Edited by StormLoser

Posted
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Ooh I just found this:

https://www.metcheck.com/SEASONAL/thunderstorm_satellite.asp

nice little animation

Thanks! Straight onto my bookmark bar.