Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Some very heavy showers have kicked off both 2 miles northeast of here and 2 miles southeast of here. It's an inverted shower sandwich!

The first is moving slowly south, and the second slowly southwest, so it appears they may merge in the vicinity of Verwood by 1:30 pm.

Meanwhile, there's a number of showers to the west, between here and Yeovil, which are outside of the MO warning area so they'll be hoping they don't reach thunderstorm magnitude. Given the less conducive environment that way I would be surprised if they did, but the weather does like to play games with us.

Interesting to see two main areas of weak convective activity inland of the developing convergence line (that's just starting to become evident), one around here and the other around London. 

Yep - this is me trying to make something of a low-key situation . Reason for my high level of interest today is that it'll make the difference for me between a 34-day run of < 1 mm rainfall and a potentially 39 or more day run if the showers continue to avoid my location today (lower limit set based on modelling consensus of nothing Fri-Mon and then hints from global models - albeit not very convincing ones - of scattered shower potential Tuesday onward next week).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Not the best photo in the world, but it does show that we’ve actually got some convection going on to the south of me.:good:

Sadly I really don’t think we’ll get any kind of action today (around these parts), it is nice to see something trying to happen. :rolleyes:

260A03F0-24E1-4C6A-93A5-5617EA0B66C8.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Correction: Cell to my NW is now moving SW instead of S, so no merger over Verwood. In fact both it and the one to my east may miss either side of there, just like here.

Another cell has popped up 5 or 6 my east, and yet another 4 or 5 miles to my NNW. Based on that, it would be quite the achievement for my location not to see anything this afternoon.

The game is on!

• Like 1

Posted

Does look promising for those further east of here, if nothing else a nice drenching of rain will be helpful.

Plenty of convection to the north of here over the past couple of hours, but not produced anything noteworthy. Nevertheless wouldn't be surprised to see the odd storm pop up!

• Like 1

Posted

It just rained in Hailsham. Actual water fell from the sky! The birds went crazy! 

Convection appearing all along the South coast now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Convection appearing all around me, but not overhead. We need rain so badly here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

We have some quite ominous looking dark clouds forming just to the west of here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

So near yet so far! 

D4EBCDCB-FF12-49CE-A3D4-B35D8685EE88.png

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like Totnes or nearby just had a very sharp shower?

I can see that cell from here, it's more or less travelling straight in this direction. But doubt it'll have much juice left by the time it reaches us on the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I don't think we'll get anything here but we do have lots of lovely convective infill that has completely covered the sky, so there's something.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

No convectiveness here, but I can say I’ve just witnessed a small dust devil whip through my garden and nearly took all the washing down off the line! Could see the leaves and small bits of dust circulating a defined whirlwind!! Remarkable. Flat calm now! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Not the best photo in the world, but it does show that we’ve actually got some convection going on to the south of me.:good:

Sadly I really don’t think we’ll get any kind of action today (around these parts), it is nice to see something trying to happen. :rolleyes:

260A03F0-24E1-4C6A-93A5-5617EA0B66C8.jpeg

That is giving heavy rain to Oswestry in Shropshire right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

So near yet so far...

IMG_0064.JPG

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1

Posted

So that lot passed me by without delivering even one drop of rain (I regularly checked an outdoor glass table top visible from my office) and since 3 pm it's been sunny again.

There's a thin band of cloud approaching from the northwest but radar is not showing any coherent signs of activity (just a lot of anaprop - large insect movements perhaps?).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Singularity said:

So that lot passed me by without delivering even one drop of rain (I regularly checked an outdoor glass table top visible from my office) and since 3 pm it's been sunny again.

There's a thin band of cloud approaching from the northwest but radar is not showing any coherent signs of activity (just a lot of anaprop - large insect movements perhaps?).

Quite possibly could feel damp underneath, we has a sort of shower here, it didn't wet anything but you could feel very small drops on your skin, sort of like drizzle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Distant rolling thunder heard from this:

2EE16834-A1F1-4C1D-A6A3-5778784A54DB.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Half a dozen rumbles of thunder here as a storm passes just to the east. Also managed a few raindrops - wonderful, fresh smell in the air!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All types

Is warminster part of south Wiltshire and I was watch BBC weather forecast saying an risk of thunderStroms and heavy for south part of Wiltshire and Dorset .

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Looking rather bubbly to my distant East..

20180705_180753.thumb.jpg.6b3653c133abe1eaa2208d4c112df4cd.jpg