Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Looking at radar and the reducing sferic activity looks as activity over the SW is merging into a bit of a wet mess! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All types

Is 17.c in warminster in Wiltshire and temperatures will fly up over here and very warm and hot and humid and the lighting has die out the those thunderstorms that made it in channel 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Totally chucking it down in Torpoint. Just rain though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Have been down on the coast watching this lot for the past couple hours. Nothing too exciting but have seen one distant cg and occasionally the clouds have looked dramatic. Mostly not though! TQ7 3DY

IMG_20180701_065743.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Not looking good all activity decaying

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

The Met office have issued their first warning of thunderstorms today in a history dating back 164 years!

I hadn't realised that they never issued warnings of storms before I read the article today.The warnings had been rain focused until now if thunderstorms were likely.

Posted

Yep, nice rain and thunder reported at home. Watch that activity move and backbuild over home, the the one day I'm not there.

Also ending the interest of how dry it is, when everywhere 10 miles east and beyond is dry still.

And with the warning extended east, watch storms form up here near Reading or other parts of the south when I'm heading back home this evening...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

EURO4 and AROME both very underwhelming on the latest runs, EURO4 especially bad nothing of note for the rest of the UK after the recent rains in far SW.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
2 hours ago, sunnijim said:

The Met office have issued their first warning of thunderstorms today in a history dating back 164 years!

I hadn't realised that they never issued warnings of storms before I read the article today.The warnings had been rain focused until now if thunderstorms were likely.

Well they've issued plenty of warning for storms over the years so that statement isn't correct.

Posted

There's a noticeable drop in temperature as the cloud and rain approaches which would explain why the storm activity is dying down.

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Latest radar

be274853-6900-4373-a0e6-786dc77ed075.thumb.png.c638e6415680c49b5c3bba81bd2d1022.png

Intrigued to see the progress of the storms off the Brittany coast. Nice clear slot in front of them and they are beginning to expand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Yes and the sun has come out here again. The humidity is the big difference this time. Can those storms make it across the Channel? I hope so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Interested in the extension East of the Met Office warning.  It seems to match with the CAPE chart from the GFS 6z, but ARPEGE has the higher CAPE confined to the SW.  I don't expect to see anything here but could well be surprised.  Certainly a bit of a change in the weather today, gone are the clear blue skies we have had for days. Still very warm though.

image.thumb.jpg.1cef6a4f6df60777e8a91de1ae82b699.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted

Significant storms here in the Charente overnight but little rain. Elevated in nature, started at midnight and ran on until 08.00 this morning. Minimum temperature last night was 22C after a max of 35c yesterday. Oppressively hot and humid today means going outside is unpleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

Significant storms here in the Charente overnight but little rain. Elevated in nature, started at midnight and ran on until 08.00 this morning. Minimum temperature last night was 22C after a max of 35c yesterday. Oppressively hot and humid today means going outside is unpleasant.

Lucky you :)

27 at the moment with a mid level blanket of 'scud'. 

31% humidity but with rain supposedly on the way.

Im in the red square, but no sign of any of the rain on the radar?

Does virga get picked up?

rain.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Well they've issued plenty of warning for storms over the years so that statement isn't correct.

I think he means now we will be getting separate warnings for rain / thunderstorms, not just rain, I did briefly read the article but cannot find it now, it was on the BBC 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Deep rumbles of thunder here in Taunton accompanied by heavy rain . Horribly humid . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

The Met Office has issued its first weather warning for a thunderstorm in its 164-year history, after days of sweltering temperatures.

The weather service introduced the new advisory for thunderstorms last month. 

Sunday's warning said storms could develop in south Wales and south-west England throughout the day. 

Forecasters warned it could lead to torrential rain, hail and lightning and there was a small chance of flooding for homes and businesses.

It also said the weather could lead to difficult driving conditions and road closures. 

Source : BBC website

Posted

Convection really starting to bubble up to the W all the way to the NE of here, great view of it all from the top of Salcombe! I think we may well escape anything significant now but not going to rule it out just yet...

• Like 1