Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st June onwards

Posted
8 minutes ago, Tom dewey likes thunder said:

Wiltshire and Dorset and Somerset and Gloucestershire and other parts of the best country are not in the weather warning anymore and I looked at the rainfall map there's hardly any showers in the South West today is not much happening

You could well be right Tom, as the excitement looks to have shifted North today. At least that's what the Euro4 for 15z is suggesting.

image.thumb.png.3696c4fb72ccb5bbb18f5c83ba0a2f8d.png

Maybe a few showers in the west of our region.

I can't say that I'm that bothered, as the weekend approaches. I'd just like to see some sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

That lightning in Wales is getting quite close to me now, only 40 miles.  I take it that stuff is elevated though? 

Rather cloudy here now, 22.7°C. Do think I can hear distant booms every now and again but probably the docks. 

sun’s back out now; feeling juicy. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted

We're not really in the firing line here today, yet it feels even more primed than yesterday.  Less blanket low cloud and lots of broken cloud.  Feeling a lot warmer and convection already underway. Wouldn't be surprised to see some thundery showers later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
21 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

We're not really in the firing line here today, yet it feels even more primed than yesterday.  Less blanket low cloud and lots of broken cloud.  Feeling a lot warmer and convection already underway. Wouldn't be surprised to see some thundery showers later

Today just feels like its all going to go boom doesn't it ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Very sunny now and 23.8°C; Some 3° warmer than forecast by all models. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

These areas seem at highest risk but the Midlands may far well.

orca-image-1527853927182.jpg_1527853927400.jpeg

I don't really see anything happening on the Eastern side. Happy to be proved wrong given i'm in that area but I just don't see it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
46 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Glad it's not my 'novice' status leading me awry and I'm not alone in thinking the signs seem to be about. North Hants not expecting anything today and yet it feels ripe. Warm and sunny blue skies, low level convection building all around with humidity 76% and DP 17.1. Feels much more like something could happen than previous few days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Certainly feels a lot more likely to happen today than yesterday, more sun= more heat and much better looking sky compared to this time yesterday, time will tell of course

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Some rapid cloud growth over the Lancs/Yorks border with the NW oif Lancs looking like it could turn into ground zero over the coming hours?

High cloud between the lancs border and Leeds trending SE to the wash looks to be holding down convection that could impact my area?

Maybe later.

Back to the cloudscapes ( I'm sure I watch a very ropey funnel form and then fade in the cell now headed for Burnley/Blackburn?)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
33 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

These areas seem at highest risk but the Midlands may far well.

orca-image-1527853927182.jpg_1527853927400.jpeg

Think you need to draw your blob a little more across the midlands and towards the south.

In fact just do what CW have done - draw it round the whole isle.

i’m watching small small towers going up over west London as we speak

Posted

Sun now blazing down; just about to hit 25°C. 

Posted

Would you believe it? It fell apart as it passed over me and is now reorganising north of me. Look at the rainfall radar animation and see what happened as it passes over the A71 just west of Livi.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Sun now blazing down; just about to hit 25°C. 

Temperature seemed to be irrelevant yesterday. Sure I saw my van say it was 27° at one point and we still got nothing

Posted
19 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Think you need to draw your blob a little more across the midlands and towards the south.

In fact just do what CW have done - draw it round the whole isle.

i’m watching small small towers going up over west London as we speak

Yeah haha was suppose to draw a line over the midlands and central England 

Posted

Everywhere in the UK will have a possibility of thunderstorms. There's  cells popping up everywhere... However, where they develop they are going to be slow moving as the winds are low therefore some areas won't get any and some will receive a lot of rainfall in a short space of time. The west midlands and southern Scotland would see more generalised rain slowly dissipating in a south east direction..

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, jordan smith said:

These areas too, anything to the south and east of this area will see only isolated showers/thunderstorms.

749F037D-E73F-4045-BBAE-07F2C9D272F7.jpeg

I think just stating anywhere in the U.K. is enough for today. Ireland also has a good chance for some strong storms

Posted
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I think just stating anywhere in the U.K. is enough for today. Ireland also has a good chance for some strong storms

Yes I saw that definitely a good place but if we compare yesterday to today then the further north the better the chance places south of the m4 won’t see too much.

Posted

From the satellites I can see thunderstorms forming near Hereford, some in West London and across south west England. South Ireland too travelling northwards.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

Just about anywhere could catch something today so my map looks a little like a mosaic, but my untrained eye is drawn to 3 areas I think could perhaps see something a little more intense.

weather010618.jpg

Good call on the SW activity. Plenty of beefy showers on the radar now

• Thanks 1