Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Elevated Convection (Thunderstorms) & Soundings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

The recent period of convective activity has seen numerous episodes of elevated convection, providing frequent lightning and substantial local rainfall amounts. However, my level of understanding about convective dynamics is very basic, especially with regards to elevated convection. My struggles often evolve understanding forecasted 'Soundings' (GFS), and using this as a predictive tool. This thread is intended to provide an area where those whom understand the dynamics of elevated convection can help guide enthusiastic learners on this forum, by sharing explanations and literature on the topic. I recall 'Skew T's' has been discussed on a broad scale in previous threads, though a more detailed breakdown in there use in forecasting elevated outbreaks would also be very helpful! 

Any responses would be greatly appreciated by me, and I suspect many others on this great forum.

*Please can this thread stay formal in tone, it is intended as an area for learning (not chit chatter about storm prospects)!

Edited by MattTarrant

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot

I don't have any formal knowledge of storms so sorry for getting anyone's hopes up.  

In the context of elevated storms entering the UK I would assume that any MCS, (eg large circular-shaped rain mass, squall line, or bow / hook echo) blowing in our direction would be elevated by the time it reaches us.  

The ones I've noticed this year coming up from France have been circular; and afraid of northern england :(

Posted
33 minutes ago, knocker said:

This is not a simple subject and given my limited understanding of it it would be presumptuous of me to attempt to explain it to others but this should certainly help

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/publications/corfidi/elevated.pdf

I meant to add, but forgot, if you looking at forecast or actual soundings then then keep an eye on medium level lapse rates such as between say 850mb and 500mb as a possible guide.

• Like 1