Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Pressure readings seem wrong

Posted

Hello

I have just installed a Maplin N96GY  weather station and the pressure readings do not tally with those  of nearby ones on Weather Underground, the readings are marked ... abs and hpa being the default ones in the instructions. I have a reading now of 1009 compared to a nearby station of 1019 on 2 stations and 1025 on the third. Please can you help?

Thanks 

Phillip

Posted

Welcome to the forum!

Absolute surface pressure is the air pressure at the height you're at above sea level (i.e the raw reading your station records) and often needs to be corrected to the mean sea level pressure as that is what is reported officially. So for example, someone at 300m above sea level will record a reading lower than those close by at lower altitudes, but a correction is applied to keep recordings constant.

I think in your case its probably more a case of the reading being out from the factory (or indeed the nearby station on WU could be the incorrect one) as they aren't generally the most accurate on cheaper stations.

Your best bet is to look at the pressure readings from nearby Shawbury and align your readings to that:

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3414.html

Hope this helps.