Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Drought - Summer - 2018?

Posted

We had 0.8mm in June here. However yesterday 14.2mm fell with thunder (I wasn't here of course).

Probably will green up the grass etc though I wonder how big/long lasting the effect will be? 

In Reading yesterday, it possilbly looked a bit drier than it did here, large verges and areas of grass completely straw colour in places.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Status Yellow - Advisory warning for Ireland

With little or no rain forecast for most areas over the coming week, drought or near-drought conditions are expected to develop more widely across Ireland.

Issued: Saturday 30 June 2018 18:00

Updated: Saturday 30 June 2018 18:00

Valid from Saturday 30 June 2018 18:00 to Friday 06 July 2018 23:59

https://www.met.ie/warnings

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

GFS still playing around with shower activity from Wednesday so we shall see if the drought warning beats the GFS or not.

Also next week could have some record breaking heat if the 120z comes of. Bad news for fire fighting as the breeze is still there and bad news for the customers of the greedy water Utilities. Unless we get the showers of course. However the situation needs to looked at by the Government and firm action needs to be taken as the system is clearly unfit for the purpose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
25 minutes ago, The PIT said:

GFS still playing around with shower activity from Wednesday so we shall see if the drought warning beats the GFS or not.

Also next week could have some record breaking heat if the 120z comes of. Bad news for fire fighting as the breeze is still there and bad news for the customers of the greedy water Utilities. Unless we get the showers of course. However the situation needs to looked at by the Government and firm action needs to be taken as the system is clearly unfit for the purpose.

No one gives a s*** because it only happens rarely, much like proper cold spells in winter.

If every summer turned out like this one then action would be taken one hopes, funny though a few years ago all the GW doom mongers told us every summer would be like this until it rained a lot then they said it would be hotter and wetter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

No one gives a s*** because it only happens rarely, much like proper cold spells in winter.

If every summer turned out like this one then action would be taken one hopes, funny though a few years ago all the GW doom mongers told us every summer would be like this until it rained a lot then they said it would be hotter and wetter. 

Please don't start that rubbish on here, for the love of goodness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

If you want to discuss actual science related to climate change, head over to the appropriate area. But do not post antagonistic stuff designed to provoke a reaction.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
45 minutes ago, The PIT said:

There's been a leak further up the road since last October. Still not fixed, god knows how much water has been wasted in that time. I guess it's an ongoing dispute as to who is responsible as it's still not been fixed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Hi everyone, 

I see from @Summer Sun post that Ireland have been issued a drought warning.

A little help here would be grateful as I’m struggling to understand how one of the wettest countries in Europe could honour this warning on the back of a few weeks of drier than average conditions?

All natural water holdings are at or above normal across the whole of the UK including the Republic of Ireland, so why are there warnings out for a drought? Just because the grass is a bit yellow and the ground is dry doesn’t mean that water sources are not ok. Especially after the soaking winter and early spring we experienced. (Post previous in this thread show us at above normal)

Is this the usual OTT reaction that us brits love at any different weather pattern or is it the water companies taking advantage, feeding to the government to gain yet more money/saving off us? 

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Hi everyone, 

A little help here would be grateful as I’m struggling to understand how one of the wettest countries in Europe could honour this warning on the back of a few weeks of drier than average conditions?

All natural water holdings are at or above normal across the whole of the UK including the Republic of Ireland, so why are there warnings out for a drought? Just because the grass is a bit yellow and the ground is dry doesn’t mean that water sources are not ok. Especially after the soaking winter and early spring we experienced. (Post previous in this thread show us at above normal)

Is this the usual OTT reaction that us brits love at any different weather pattern or is it the water companies taking advantage, feeding to the government to gain yet more money/saving off us? 

It may be because they've gone 15 days without rainfall which puts them in an official drought but it's not bad enough yet to warrant a hosepipe ban like NI have declared  

Most parts of the UK have good amounts of water on standby but this will obviously change the longer it continues

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

It may be because they've gone 15 days without rainfall which puts them in an official drought but it's not bad enough yet to warrant a hosepipe ban like NI have declared  

Most parts of the UK have good amounts of water on standby but this will obviously change the longer it continues

So there is vasts amount of water on standby and because it hasn’t rained for two weeks it’s now drought conditions. 

I don’t get it. 

The UK recieves adequate rainfall for the majority of the year. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

So there is vasts amount of water on standby and because it hasn’t rained for two weeks it’s now drought conditions. 

I don’t get it. 

The UK recieves adequate rainfall for the majority of the year. 

The definition of a drought is no rainfall for more than 14 days. The vast majority of the British Isles is in a drought now.

The problem right now is that the water companies can't get the water into the system fast enough to meet demand, the supplies are okay for now. I don't see the issue in just highlighting the potential for a problem further down the line, which is what I presume that warning is about.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The definition of a drought is no rainfall for more than 14 days. The vast majority of the British Isles is in a drought now.

The problem right now is that the water companies can't get the water into the system fast enough to meet demand, the supplies are okay for now. I don't see the issue in just highlighting the potential for a problem further down the line, which is what I presume that warning is about.

A drought condition warnings after a 2 week dry spell in one of the wettest countries in Europe doesn’t warrant a money grabbing water board company claiming drought conditions to cut costs. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

Hi everyone, 

It's not lack of water, it's the lack of 'treated' water. The treatment plants cannot cope with the demand hence the hosepipe ban.

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

A drought condition warnings after a 2 week dry spell in one of the wettest countries in Europe doesn’t warrant a money grabbing water board company claiming drought conditions to cut costs. 

You can be in the wettest country in the world but if the treatment plants can't get enough through to meet demand at peak times that's when they'll start lowering pressure or as a last resort issue hosepipe bans

For now, we are fine and have no real need to worry people just take care with what water is used

Posted
11 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It's not lack of water, it's the lack of 'treated' water. The treatment plants cannot cope with the demand hence the hosepipe ban.

With the astronomical prices that water companies charge monthly to UK residents you would of thought that they have a plan/outcome in place to deal with a (two week dry spell) in 2018 

Pretty laughable really, instead they claim water shortage and tell us to put our hose away. 

So whislt we are all told to cut out water outage does that mean our bills go down?  

Short answer - No... 

“lets feed the media, that there is a drought because it hasn’t rained in 14 days”

Done the trick clearly. 

2 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

With the astronomical prices that water companies charge monthly to UK residents you would of thought that they have a plan/outcome in place to deal with a (two week dry spell) in 2018 

Pretty laughable really, instead they claim water shortage and tell us to put our hose away. 

So whislt we are all told to cut out water outage does that mean our bills go down?  

Short answer - No... 

“lets feed the media, that there is a drought because it hasn’t rained in 14 days”

Done the trick clearly. 

Not suprising as all these money grabbing b*stard companies are interested in is  the financial rape of Joe public .

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Not suprising as all these money grabbing b*stard companies are interested in is  the financial rape of Joe public .

Yep, all part of the game. 

Joe public fall for it and come October when we are knee deep in flooded water/burst river banks with endless rain it’s a distant memory. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Yep, all part of the game. 

Joe public fall for it and come October when we are knee deep in flooded water/burst river banks with endless rain it’s a distant memory. 

It's a shame that our flora and fauna are also 'falling for it', isn't it? Nature must be in on the conspiracy?

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It's a shame that our flora and fauna are also 'falling for it', isn't it? Nature must be in on the conspiracy?

Flora and fauna going dry doesn’t equal water companies making profit making there pound of flesh worth on us mere mortals, claiming we are in a drought because it hasn’t rained for 2 weeks 

Lower my water bill then I might cry for flora 

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted

I see on the TV all the time that for just £3 a week you can provide water to a community in Africa, yet i'm paying £60 a month for water that i've barely used and now United Utilities say they might not be able to provide unless everyone cuts down. Are those same African Charities able to provide clean water for the UK if stuff hits the fan.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I see on the TV all the time that for just £3 a week you can provide water to a community in Africa, yet i'm paying £60 a month for water that i've barely used and now United Utilities say they might not be able to provide unless everyone cuts down. Are those same African Charities able to provide clean water for the UK if stuff hits the fan.

66 million in the UK @SNOW_JOKE and 44 million people  pay to water companies in the UK on average £36 a month and apparently because it hasn’t rained in 2 weeks we are all suppose to cut down on water even though we are bathed in water throughout winter and most of spring. 

Somethings wrong somewhere, even more wrong that because the grass is yellow, folk are media fed and believe we have a water shortage.  

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

NI water is still nationalised. No water meters here, Scotland's the same I think.

Posted

Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen grass so yellow, must be about 2003, we’ve not had much prolonged or regular rain since at least the middle of April, aside from the odd rainy day and a couple of thunderstorms and for at least 10 days there hasn’t been a drop of rain. Looking by weather forecasts there doesn’t seem to be any rain for at least two weeks. I would love July to stay very dry but for August to get some heavy rain 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Harry233 said:

Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen grass so yellow, must be about 2003, we’ve not had much prolonged or regular rain since at least the middle of April, aside from the odd rainy day and a couple of thunderstorms and for at least 10 days there hasn’t been a drop of rain. Looking by weather forecasts there doesn’t seem to be any rain for at least two weeks. I would love July to stay very dry but for August to get some heavy rain 

Hi Harry, 

Just because the grass has turned yellow doesn’t mean we are short of water. England, Wales, Scotland and NI all have normal to above normal reservoir readings thanks to the wet winter and wet early spring. 

Usual british hysterical weather hype and water companies getting every last penny out of us (NI the first to take the bite) ironically one of the wettest Places in the UK according to ITV news last week. 

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Hi Harry, 

Just because the grass has turned yellow doesn’t mean we are short of water. England, Wales, Scotland and NI all have normal to above normal reservoir readings thanks to the wet winter and wet early spring. 

Usual british hysterical weather hype and water companies getting every last penny out of us (NI the first to take the bite) ironically one of the wettest Places in the UK according to ITV news last week. 

I don't think you're understanding the issue at hand here. Nobody is saying we have a water shortage. There is only so much water they can pump through the treatment plants, and demand is outstripping it. This is nothing to do with the reservoir levels or anything like that, it's a simple case of supply not meeting demand. The debate of whether they should be having this problem in the first place is an entirely different one, but there is no water shortage, nobody is saying that.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2