Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Drought - Summer - 2018?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Not sure the hour of moderate rain we had last week will even have registered with the earth to be honest. Lots evaporated off of hot surfaces and so much heat either side I'm not sure it counts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
38 minutes ago, Jezzer said:

anyone know how many times we got over 30oc last summer, I seem to recall we only hit that figure quite late in the summer of 2017?

We had a good few days over 30c and it wasn't late, we had a heatwave in the middle of June, but I cant recall the exact temps, but I know there was a few days at least that was at or over 30c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

This summer is insane, even while other parts got at least a few mm's last week, we only got a few drops, not even enough to dampen the ground, ive never saw the grass how it is, even the canals and lakes are noticeably lower than they were back in May, and just to think one of the lakes in May was going through a major flood after the severe thunderstorms, now its a lot lower than normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between
45 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

We had a good few days over 30c and it wasn't late, we had a heatwave in the middle of June, but I cant recall the exact temps, but I know there was a few days at least that was at or over 30c.

Thanks, not sure why I thought 30oc appeared so rarely last summer, wonder if I'm thinking of a summer a few years back, fatherhood has addled my brain 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A very dry !st half of Summer around these parts.

Data taken from the weather station(Met office Approved)at Bablake,Coventry-approx 7 miles south of me -http://www.bablakeweather.co.uk/

June rainfall=7.8mm

July to date= trace

Not quite a complete drought but the last 7 weeks have been close to it and with little sign of any measurable rainfall in the next 10 days this is becoming quite a notable dry spell.

Out of interest Summer 1959, mentioned by Mike in his opening post, recorded 35 days late on ie 14th August until 18th September whereas the famous Summer of 1976 showed 29 days from 20th July until 27th August.

Of course 1976 stands out with the period of several days exceeding 32C somewhere every day coupled with the lack of rain.I guess there's still time for such an event here this Summer.

I recall the heavens opened around the late August BH in '76 just after the Government had appointed a Minister for drought-immediate success!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 hours ago, Jezzer said:

anyone know how many times we got over 30oc last summer, I seem to recall we only hit that figure quite late in the summer of 2017?

We had 5 consecutive days at or above 30c in London in June 2017, peaking at 34c on the 21st. It hit 31c again on 6th July. So 6 days in total. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

No rainfall whatsoever here in West Sussex since 17th June, and even that was light drizzle, just 0.5mm of rain since May 31st! 

Edited by 95 Degrees

Posted

Thought this might be of interest a pond in Aylesbury dried out and certainly looks like a drought we have had just 2mm of rain since 30th may! and that 2mm fell on Friday so we went 51 days without measurable rain

IMG_20180723_172706425.jpg

IMG_20180723_172432500.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Its only the driest summer since 2006 currently here after having a check now,and this summer will not be as dry as 1995 after the next 5 days or so.

August 2006 was the wettest month that summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

On the subject of water treatment - the fracking 'industry' wastes billions of gallons of treated water every day!

Posted

The sprinklers have been going in canary wharf in their park. Nice to see green grass but wonder how much water they're using keeping it that way.

canarywharf.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Recent rainfall means United Utilities has called off the hosepipe ban which was due to start on August 5th

I seem to remember this happened a few years back they announced a ban only for rain to increase

Posted

More likely they will be saving face when none of the other English or Scottish water companies are anywhere near to a ban, Yorkshire Water has 70% capacity, Severn Trent has 68% even some of Southern Water's reservoir levels are still in the 80s, so the wettest area of England needing a hosepipe ban says more about United Utilities than how dry it has been.

Posted
13 hours ago, NTC said:

More likely they will be saving face when none of the other English or Scottish water companies are anywhere near to a ban, Yorkshire Water has 70% capacity, Severn Trent has 68% even some of Southern Water's reservoir levels are still in the 80s, so the wettest area of England needing a hosepipe ban says more about United Utilities than how dry it has been.

From what I can see Thames are reporting @80% which isn't bad and comparable with previous years. They certainly have questions to answer on the supply side of things, as the network simply can't carry enough of the product on high demand, which is their problem not ours. Their luck is all due to last winter, had it of been dry they would not have been the groundwater or river flows there to sustain abstraction.    

Posted

9mm of rain here since June 1st, 5.4mm of which came in one heavy shower a couple of weeks ago!

That stands as a drought which relates not to having zero rainfall, but significantly below average over a period of time.

Posted
On 26/07/2018 at 10:52, Ed Stone said:

On the subject of water treatment - the fracking 'industry' wastes billions of gallons of treated water every day!

Why would they need treated water.
It's not a waste either unless you consider producing valuable commodities a waste.
Also 'billions' of gallons sounds like a typical fact-free 1000 fold exaggeration..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, 4wd said:

Why would they need treated water.
It's not a waste either unless you consider producing valuable commodities a waste.
Also 'billions' of gallons sounds like a typical fact-free 1000 fold exaggeration..

You're right - it is an exaggeration!:oops:

Posted
On 23/07/2018 at 16:40, Jezzer said:

Thanks, not sure why I thought 30oc appeared so rarely last summer, wonder if I'm thinking of a summer a few years back, fatherhood has addled my brain 

We failed to reach or exceed 30 in 2012 I think. But, 2015 and 16 had many days where the temps struggled during the summer months. Despite hot snaps during both summers. I recall lots of gloomy days with cloud and low 20s most days.

Posted
On 23/07/2018 at 17:44, danm said:

We had 5 consecutive days at or above 30c in London in June 2017, peaking at 34c on the 21st. It hit 31c again on 6th July. So 6 days in total. 

It was hot for a little while, and I remember the high humidity was horrible. But, the summer went downhill in sunshine terms by mid July and never fully recovered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It was hot for a little while, and I remember the high humidity was horrible. But, the summer went downhill in sunshine terms by mid July and never fully recovered.

Yep agree, summer 2017 was a tale of two halves down here. Warm, sometimes hot, June and first half of July. Much cooler, fresher 2nd half after mid July. 

Posted
19 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes I think it was 2011 or was it 2012 when the hosepipe ban after a day was cancelled and the heavens opened and never stopped..

It was 2010 after the driest first 6 months on record. The ban was bound to be cancelled as we enter August, when was the last time we had a hot, dry August in the North? 

Posted

Interesting how quickly the grass has greened up around here. It didn't go as uniformly brown as in many part of England due to rain on the 1st and 4th of July and a bit more overnight into the 21st, presumably it would have been easier for it to recover where not completely dead. 19mm in the last 4 days of July brought the monthly total to 44.5mm and the soil surface is still damp in places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
37 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Interesting how quickly the grass has greened up around here. It didn't go as uniformly brown as in many part of England due to rain on the 1st and 4th of July and a bit more overnight into the 21st, presumably it would have been easier for it to recover where not completely dead. 19mm in the last 4 days of July brought the monthly total to 44.5mm and the soil surface is still damp in places.

Things are very green here now, wouldn't believe there was a drought just 2 weeks ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Mountain Snow said:

It was 2010 after the driest first 6 months on record. The ban was bound to be cancelled as we enter August, when was the last time we had a hot, dry August in the North? 

The same time the rest of the UK had a hot, dry August - 2003.