Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Drought - Summer - 2018?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The grass gave up in Leeds in early June and now looks like hay however the trees last month actually looked fairly good although I thought the berries were a bit early. Since the turn of the month though there have indeed been signs of drought stress with leaves turning and dropping.

The coming week should produce two frontal events and a few showers so we'll see what difference that makes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I've noticed many leaves dropping,and walking around Temple Newsam a few days ago even noticed some autumnal colours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I have also noticed the autumn colours on some of the trees around here. We had some rain yesterday evening so hopefully that will help somewhat.

Posted

Drought is ridiculous here. Summer started in April and no change in weather pattern since then. It's mind-boggling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 14 July 2018 at 13:18, Nick L said:

Just walked to the shop on my lunch break and there are so many leaves lining the pavements, it's like October! Possible drought stress?

Definitely. A few trees are already turning, but looking tired rather than about to give an autumn display.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and winter weather

Drought in Belgium as well... Haven't had rain since june.

Posted

Drought has a hell of along way to reach this one..as we had a very wet spring.

The period September 1975 - August 1976 was the driest 12 month period on record. A Minister for Drought was appointed this year.

http://www.trevorharley.com/weather_web_pages/1976_weather.htm

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Looking increasingly likely we will go the entirety of June and July without seeing any meaningful rainfall here. Remarkable.

• Like 2

Posted

During the drought of 1976, it got so bad that the then Labour govt actually appointed a Minister for Drought to encourage us to save water >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Howell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

In terms of the dry summer, this is shaping up to be on a par with 76, but obviously without the water shortages thankfully.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
On 02/07/2018 at 18:06, The PIT said:

been an amazing first half of summer for consistency must be the best since '76 ?

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Nick L said:

In terms of the dry summer, this is shaping up to be on a par with 76, but obviously without the water shortages thankfully.

I would not be so sure about the water shortage situation, too early for the major water companies to own up. In 1976 it was government owned, which is a whole different ball game to companies protecting billions of profits and share prices.

Thames water are struggling to meet daily demand, they have low pressures and no waters across the network, their twitter is full of apologies. That shows the system is inadequate to cope with maximum demand, no matter how much storage they have.

They will be crossing their fingers and toes that the rains come before September, otherwise there will be hose pipe bans.

I have no sympathy for them at all, I cannot take profit unless I can supply my product, and I don't see why without any real engineering issues why we have to suffer for water companies to fill their pockets.

Dubai / Saudi Arabia etc do not run out of water ..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Ditto the canals and river networks, starting to close down now, some of the canals are now on limited locking times and the Leeds Liverpool will shut in 2 weeks. It isn't just the reservoirs running short,  it's lack of maintenance, selling off the fishing rights and having to guarantee minimum levels for the angling groups along with increased use due to Tim and Pru programmes and the poor exchange rate. 

Posted

The run of 30 days without a drop ended here with 7.4mm of rain from a couple of heavy showers overnight. We're now on 20.0mm for the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

More rain fell over  SE England on the 15th July 1976 than has fallen thus far this summer.

Oddly enough, that was St Swithun's Day - but only because our calendar has been changed...Back in SS's time, his day would have fallen on July 26!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
5 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Oddly enough, that was St Swithun's Day - but only because our calendar has been changed...Back in SS's time, his day would have fallen on July 26!:D

Good point Ed, funny how somehow folk traditions remain valid despite the change from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
On 16/07/2018 at 20:10, HighPressure said:

They will be crossing their fingers and toes that the rains come before September, otherwise there will be hose pipe bans.

I reckon the Atlantic is going to be rampant from September - December.  Literally the wettest Autumn ever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

anyone know how many times we got over 30oc last summer, I seem to recall we only hit that figure quite late in the summer of 2017?