Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Drought - Summer - 2018?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

I had no rain in June (neglible under 1mm) one of driest areas in country. We need rain!

You ain't gonna get it!

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

You ain't gonna get it!

I know what’s funny is that is was a wetter than average winter here, as was early spring. Situation could be a lot worse but I see serious issues next summer if this blocking continues. It’s been endless since Feb.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I know what’s funny is that is was a wetter than average winter here, as was early spring. Situation could be a lot worse but I see serious issues next summer if this blocking continues. It’s been endless since Feb.

It's a good thing we had a wet winter, otherwise we would be in big bother right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
22 hours ago, Nick L said:

I noticed some trees losing leaves in the breeze today. Are they starting to feel it too?

I mentioned in the NW regional thread that if this keeps up we'll be descending into an early autumn tree foliage wise. Probably by the back end of this month at this rate.

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

I mentioned in the NW regional thread that if this keeps up we'll be descending into an early autumn tree foliage wise. Probably by the back end of this month at this rate.

The horse chestnuts are having their usual problems with disease, already turning brown. Not seeing any other trees turning brown yet but certainly some leaves are being lost. It's only going to get worse over the next couple of weeks by the looks of things.

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

The horse chestnuts are having their usual problems with disease, already turning brown. Not seeing any other trees turning brown yet but certainly some leaves are being lost. It's only going to get worse over the next couple of weeks by the looks of things.

Yes, I've seen the same as you, seemingly healthy green leaves been blown off relatively easily. I'm guessing it's the first step of the trees trying to conserve water?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Some of the silver birches as already losing yellow leaves down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

24 days since we last had rain here. The ground is very dry, even the usually waterlogged muddy paths are dusty. The last proper rain was on May 30th and so I expect June has brought less than a mm in total.

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

You ain't gonna get it!

I'm a patient person as i'm betting money it will wait until the Schools break up in 2-3 weeks before the weather finally turns!

Posted

The last day we had more than 1mm of rain was 30th May. Since then we've had a total of 1.8mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

On Tuesday it will be 5 weeks since we had any rain in Essex. Ok, the odd minor shower here or there, but nothing substantial. On Tuesday 29th May it rained so hard it poured into my office. This is a new office in Stratford - just 18 months old - and yet it came through the windows in several places. For about a week after I was going for a lunchtime run round the Olympic park and everything was waterlogged and boggy. Now? Bone dry, dusty and in need of serious rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Some light showers on the last few days of April and only a thunderstorm 3 weeks ago gave 3mmof rain is all we have had since.Exceptionally dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

This situation is actually much more common in the SE. Here in Chelmsford in Essex we have not even had 1mm in June, last measurable rain was in May. Normally here we get a very dry spell in the summer, during 2010 we went through a similar spell and then August was wet. I think it’s obviously much more unusual elsewhere and there probably is more panic than is necessary from the water companies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Most of the south was wetter than the north in May, and groundwater levels in the south are higher than in the north at the moment.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Alex said:

This situation is actually much more common in the SE. Here in Chelmsford in Essex we have not even had 1mm in June, last measurable rain was in May. Normally here we get a very dry spell in the summer, during 2010 we went through a similar spell and then August was wet. I think it’s obviously much more unusual elsewhere and there probably is more panic than is necessary from the water companies.

You can bet the water companies will be panicking, Profit versus Risk probability is the key calculation. From a technical perspective there is no need for any water shortage in the UK. It has to be remembered that the water companies combined take billions in profits each year, that is calculated against % risk. If there were to be severe water shortages, there a few MD's who will be looking for employment elsewhere.       

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, HighPressure said:

there a few MD's who will be looking for employment elsewhere.       

They usually tend to land on their feet...

That's usually after landing a nice fat severance package. Alright for the few huh who can be rewarded for failure...

Posted
3 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

You can bet the water companies will be panicking, Profit versus Risk probability is the key calculation. From a technical perspective there is no need for any water shortage in the UK. It has to be remembered that the water companies combined take billions in profits each year, that is calculated against % risk. If there were to be severe water shortages, there a few MD's who will be looking for employment elsewhere.       

I find it quite unnerving that something as important as the water supply is in private hands. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I find it quite unnerving that something as important as the water supply is in private hands. 

It was good to start with, a huge amount of good work was done between 89-95, then the greed set in, cuts were made where they should not have been. Profit was gained at the expence of the truth, and risk assessments were fudged. One of the reasons I left the industry, I simply had too many run ins especially regarding leakage which was the big topic of the time..         

• Like 2