Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Dami

No storms club 2018 Season

Recommended Posts

Well might as well get the ball rolling early this year.

No storms today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to be ever present in these no storm threads 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bit dead in here. Every one must of had a bang yesterday :(

Edited by Dami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing for me yet either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lauren said:

Nothing for me yet either.

For clarification I'm classing a storm as being overhead or very near with regular visible flashes that lasts over 5 minutes. 

I will not be counting the odd flash and rumble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that's me well and truly out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We still haven't had a thunder day yet in 2018, never mind an actual storm! It seems to be a theme of recent years that warm spells have an easterly component to the flow, so there's no chance of any activity here. The stable air just kills off any chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a thunderstorm pass close by back in April, but I'm not sure if this thread only includes direct hits. Either way, that's the only day of thunder this year.

I've also noticed that warm spells often have an easterly component these days and I'm not sure why.

Edited by cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bye guys....

(It didn't quite flood me out though it tried very hard!). 23 mms in half an hour and overhead lightning with 3/8 inch across  hail qualifies I hope!

Good luck to you all.

MIA:unknw::whistling::gathering::yahoo: 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 18:12, Lauren said:

For clarification I'm classing a storm as being overhead or very near with regular visible flashes that lasts over 5 minutes. 

I will not be counting the odd flash and rumble.

Just bolded that as that's thundery showers which don`t count like what happened yesterday afternoon here or distant storms.

But after yesterday morning I well and truly out one overhead shock lightning strike and did that make me jump ears bursting after the thunder and the pigeons flew off the trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still in here this year very unusual, as normally get my first storm of the year in January, and last may was fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye considering I'm out for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just decorated and picked some new curtains for my NSC room , as I will be here for quite some time :cray:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the deprived, some lightning porn.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I suspect I'll be in this for long time this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The PIT said:

Well I suspect I'll be in this for long time this year.

This year has to be better than 2017 where we only had a measly 4 days with thunder heard, and not 1 organised storm at all! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'll be here for a while - my sig says otherwise but that was blooming miles away so imo doesn't count. 2018 looks like being a dreadful year- horrible start, a few spring like days, now it's just grey and dull mostly with a nasty NE'ly or N'ly which doesn't seem to be going away any time soon. Maybe the autumn will be nice....🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping I'm out of here by tomorrow night!

If the level of Energy we've been seeing maintains then our Hills should help spice up any storms with the forced ascent of the air as they arrive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well surprise surprise, tomorrows risk has already been transfered further south

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Well surprise surprise, tomorrows risk has already been transfered further south

Are you serious :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Neglectedchicken said:

Are you serious :(

Main risk at the moment looks to be for South West / South Central areas, plenty of time for change yet though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

Main risk at the moment looks to be for South West / South Central areas, plenty of time for change yet though! 

Yup nothing for us today Friday may do the job chances remote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one rumble here back on April 3rd and so I guess I can be in here for where I live.

However, chasing wise I have had the best start to the year of any year in my 15 years of chasing (by start I mean up to the end of May). If I didn't chase I would be thoroughly gutted by now as the last proper storm over me was on July 4th 2015, but I was living in Derby then. 

I think the best and worse areas for storms moves around from time to time. Back in 2012-2014 it was the north Midlands that did very well. I remember 2010 and 2011 being NE England. Recently it has been London and surrounding counties, which is more what we would expect.

Lincolnshire has always done well but this year it has been quite poor so far, especially considering the amount of storms the UK has seen. Last year big parts of Birmingham recorded no storms at all until August 5th, and some missed that too. This year Birmingham has seen some big storms. 

The SW was doing very poorly until recently but then a switch seems to have flicked and now they do quite well. The Atlantic seems to have much less influence now than when I started chasing, which means more plumes and feeds from the east. This plagues the east (not the SE) with cooler, more stable air much like the winds off the Atlantic do to the west. One thing I will say though is that May tends to be an easterly month and often the westerlies return in June. This year could be different as the jet stream is way north and the high to out north is looking strong.

I think the problem this month for some is the high pressure keeping the low pressure at bay down south. Once that high pressure moves north (today) it should allow some of the storm starved in northern parts to join in.

 

Edited by Supacell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Supacell said:

Just one rumble here back on April 3rd and so I guess I can be in here for where I live.

However, chasing wise I have had the best start to the year of any year in my 15 years of chasing (by start I mean up to the end of May). If I didn't chase I would be thoroughly gutted by now as the last proper storm over me was on July 4th 2015, but I was living in Derby then. 

I think the best and worse areas for storms moves around from time to time. Back in 2012-2014 it was the north Midlands that did very well. I remember 2010 and 2011 being NE England. Recently it has been London and surrounding counties, which is more what we would expect.

Lincolnshire has always done well but this year it has been quite poor so far, especially considering the amount of storms the UK has seen. Last year big parts of Birmingham recorded no storms at all until August 5th, and some missed that too. This year Birmingham has seen some big storms. 

The SW was doing very poorly until recently but then a switch seems to have flicked and now they do quite well. The Atlantic seems to have much less influence now than when I started chasing, which means more plumes and feeds from the east. This plagues the east (not the SE) with cooler, more stable air much like the winds off the Atlantic do to the west. One thing I will say though is that May tends to be an easterly month and often the westerlies return in June. This year could be different as the jet stream is way north and the high to out north is looking strong.

I think the problem this month for some is the high pressure keeping the low pressure at bay down south. Once that high pressure moves north (today) it should allow some of the storm starved in northern parts to join in.

 

The last few years for our location have been very poor, 2014 was exceptional. My recorded thunder days below, only going back to 2013 unfortunately. 

2013 - 11    2014 - 15    2015 - 7    2016 - 8    2017 - 4    2018 - 0

This week has followed that pattern, to far NE, and it now looks like we will be too far east to see anything tomorrow.

The last good storm we had overhead in Chesterfield was like you say, way back in July 2015. I managed to catch the big storm that tracked over the Peak District in September 2016 but since then I've not seen anything that could be classed as a proper thunderstorm! 

Edited by ChezWeather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yorkshire seems very Storm starved. I'm begining to take this personally 🙂 Everything seems to go on around, up and down the Coasts, North and South of us. Anyway, looks like a deluge of rain is currently heading our way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...