Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

No storms club 2018 Season

Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Well might as well get the ball rolling early this year.

No storms today.

Posted

It's a bit dead in here. Every one must of had a bang yesterday :(

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Nothing for me yet either.

Posted
7 hours ago, Lauren said:

Nothing for me yet either.

For clarification I'm classing a storm as being overhead or very near with regular visible flashes that lasts over 5 minutes. 

I will not be counting the odd flash and rumble.

Posted

And that's me well and truly out!

Posted

We still haven't had a thunder day yet in 2018, never mind an actual storm! It seems to be a theme of recent years that warm spells have an easterly component to the flow, so there's no chance of any activity here. The stable air just kills off any chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We had a thunderstorm pass close by back in April, but I'm not sure if this thread only includes direct hits. Either way, that's the only day of thunder this year.

I've also noticed that warm spells often have an easterly component these days and I'm not sure why.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Bye guys....

(It didn't quite flood me out though it tried very hard!). 23 mms in half an hour and overhead lightning with 3/8 inch across  hail qualifies I hope!

Good luck to you all.

MIA:unknw::whistling::gathering::yahoo: 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 18:12, Lauren said:

For clarification I'm classing a storm as being overhead or very near with regular visible flashes that lasts over 5 minutes. 

I will not be counting the odd flash and rumble.

Just bolded that as that's thundery showers which don`t count like what happened yesterday afternoon here or distant storms.

But after yesterday morning I well and truly out one overhead shock lightning strike and did that make me jump ears bursting after the thunder and the pigeons flew off the trees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Still in here this year very unusual, as normally get my first storm of the year in January, and last may was fantastic.

Posted

Aye considering I'm out for now. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well I suspect I'll be in this for long time this year.

Posted
5 hours ago, The PIT said:

Well I suspect I'll be in this for long time this year.

This year has to be better than 2017 where we only had a measly 4 days with thunder heard, and not 1 organised storm at all! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

I think I'll be here for a while - my sig says otherwise but that was blooming miles away so imo doesn't count. 2018 looks like being a dreadful year- horrible start, a few spring like days, now it's just grey and dull mostly with a nasty NE'ly or N'ly which doesn't seem to be going away any time soon. Maybe the autumn will be nice....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'm hoping I'm out of here by tomorrow night!

If the level of Energy we've been seeing maintains then our Hills should help spice up any storms with the forced ascent of the air as they arrive!

Posted

Well surprise surprise, tomorrows risk has already been transfered further south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder snow is the best phenomenon
38 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Well surprise surprise, tomorrows risk has already been transfered further south

Are you serious :(

Posted
16 minutes ago, Neglectedchicken said:

Are you serious :(

Main risk at the moment looks to be for South West / South Central areas, plenty of time for change yet though! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
11 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

Main risk at the moment looks to be for South West / South Central areas, plenty of time for change yet though! 

Yup nothing for us today Friday may do the job chances remote

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just one rumble here back on April 3rd and so I guess I can be in here for where I live.

However, chasing wise I have had the best start to the year of any year in my 15 years of chasing (by start I mean up to the end of May). If I didn't chase I would be thoroughly gutted by now as the last proper storm over me was on July 4th 2015, but I was living in Derby then. 

I think the best and worse areas for storms moves around from time to time. Back in 2012-2014 it was the north Midlands that did very well. I remember 2010 and 2011 being NE England. Recently it has been London and surrounding counties, which is more what we would expect.

Lincolnshire has always done well but this year it has been quite poor so far, especially considering the amount of storms the UK has seen. Last year big parts of Birmingham recorded no storms at all until August 5th, and some missed that too. This year Birmingham has seen some big storms. 

The SW was doing very poorly until recently but then a switch seems to have flicked and now they do quite well. The Atlantic seems to have much less influence now than when I started chasing, which means more plumes and feeds from the east. This plagues the east (not the SE) with cooler, more stable air much like the winds off the Atlantic do to the west. One thing I will say though is that May tends to be an easterly month and often the westerlies return in June. This year could be different as the jet stream is way north and the high to out north is looking strong.

I think the problem this month for some is the high pressure keeping the low pressure at bay down south. Once that high pressure moves north (today) it should allow some of the storm starved in northern parts to join in.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
11 hours ago, Supacell said:

Just one rumble here back on April 3rd and so I guess I can be in here for where I live.

However, chasing wise I have had the best start to the year of any year in my 15 years of chasing (by start I mean up to the end of May). If I didn't chase I would be thoroughly gutted by now as the last proper storm over me was on July 4th 2015, but I was living in Derby then. 

I think the best and worse areas for storms moves around from time to time. Back in 2012-2014 it was the north Midlands that did very well. I remember 2010 and 2011 being NE England. Recently it has been London and surrounding counties, which is more what we would expect.

Lincolnshire has always done well but this year it has been quite poor so far, especially considering the amount of storms the UK has seen. Last year big parts of Birmingham recorded no storms at all until August 5th, and some missed that too. This year Birmingham has seen some big storms. 

The SW was doing very poorly until recently but then a switch seems to have flicked and now they do quite well. The Atlantic seems to have much less influence now than when I started chasing, which means more plumes and feeds from the east. This plagues the east (not the SE) with cooler, more stable air much like the winds off the Atlantic do to the west. One thing I will say though is that May tends to be an easterly month and often the westerlies return in June. This year could be different as the jet stream is way north and the high to out north is looking strong.

I think the problem this month for some is the high pressure keeping the low pressure at bay down south. Once that high pressure moves north (today) it should allow some of the storm starved in northern parts to join in.

The last few years for our location have been very poor, 2014 was exceptional. My recorded thunder days below, only going back to 2013 unfortunately. 

2013 - 11    2014 - 15    2015 - 7    2016 - 8    2017 - 4    2018 - 0

This week has followed that pattern, to far NE, and it now looks like we will be too far east to see anything tomorrow.

The last good storm we had overhead in Chesterfield was like you say, way back in July 2015. I managed to catch the big storm that tracked over the Peak District in September 2016 but since then I've not seen anything that could be classed as a proper thunderstorm! 

Edited by ChezWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms / Dramatic Skyscapes

Yorkshire seems very Storm starved. I'm begining to take this personally Everything seems to go on around, up and down the Coasts, North and South of us. Anyway, looks like a deluge of rain is currently heading our way.