Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
54 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Driving across Salisbury Plain this afternoon from Midsomer Norton to SW London, a persistent plume of smoke was visible north of between Chitterne and Shrewton; not sure if it was a wildfire, couldn't see any emergency responders.

Salisbury Plain July 2018.jpg

Shell Bay July 2018.jpg

The fire is on MOD land and was caused during military exercises! There are several of them ongoing!

The MOD are leaving them to burn themselves out as there is no threat to people or property, a stance which has angered villagers in a number of places as well as bringing negative response from the fire service who are not allowed to intervene unless asked to do so by the MOD!

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

The fire is on MOD land and was caused during military exercises! There are several of them ongoing!

The MOD are leaving them to burn themselves out as there is no threat to people or property, a stance which has angered villagers in a number of places as well as bringing negative response from the fire service who are not allowed to intervene unless asked to do so by the MOD!

Ah yes, I can see that might cause difficulties on both sides. Very beautiful across there today, although part of me awaits early autumn when we drive east across the plain with the beautiful changing colours bathed in a setting sun. But let's not wish the summer away...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Evening all, are you all enjoying this scorchio weather? I've been pondering on something and hope you clever people here may be able to solve my conundrum..... In the winter my bedroom is never cooler than 18c and I sleep with a thick, winter duvet. Last night with all the windows wide open and the fan on, it was probably no lower than 15c overnight and yet, even without any covers at all, it's too hot to sleep. How can this be? It makes no sense.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Couple of pics I took at Studland last night.

My nephew's having a quick dip while the Barfleur ferry went by. That was before I told them to get out while I was fishing.

20180707_212943.thumb.jpg.a0128b8fde5873fea878d5feac5c5c63.jpg

20180707_214433.thumb.jpg.6c6899f786541d37111eceed749cb44b.jpg

I was taking some long exposures on my phone and accidentally caught meteor.

20180708_001829.thumb.jpg.cff03ced7baf0ef655d8b9f1614ada20.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Couple of pics I took at Studland last night.

My nephew's having a quick dip while the Barfleur ferry went by. That was before I told them to get out while I was fishing.

20180707_212943.thumb.jpg.a0128b8fde5873fea878d5feac5c5c63.jpg

20180707_214433.thumb.jpg.6c6899f786541d37111eceed749cb44b.jpg

I was taking some long exposures on my phone and accidentally caught meteor.

20180708_001829.thumb.jpg.cff03ced7baf0ef655d8b9f1614ada20.jpg

Great pics!

I have an app which only ‘writes in’ pixels lighter than the current stored ones. It’s like a long exposure, but I think of it more of a ‘light trap’. It great for meteors.

Guess which one of these is actually a meteor:

F42A9033-5840-4B73-9B69-A312430AF8E4.jpeg

Posted

A very warm evening for here last night, still near 28C at 8pm, though cooler air did seem to arrive quite quickly in the NW breeze from around 8:30pm

Then not too warm a night with a min of 13.2C

Currently sunny and 19.2C 

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

An overnight low of 16C set us up for another 30C again today, possibly the last for a couple of days thanks to the weak cold front, but some respite is always welcomed.

If Hurn can get too 30C today it'll be the first time since Aug 1995 that 30C has been reached on 4 consecutive days, and only the second time since 1976. The hot spells of 1983/1989/1990/1994/1997/2003/2006/2013 only managed 2-3days of consecutive 30C. Truly amazing if it happens. 

Posted

A little cooler at 23.2 this morning, but feeling humid after all the dry air we've had. Pressure been constant at 1021 over the weekend.  Humidity 62% 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Had lots of jellyfish floating around in the sky this morning but back to unbroken sunshine again and surpassed 30C once more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Haven’t reached 30°C at all this year but came close on one occasion, well below that today with a high of 24.2°C this morning. Currently 21.7°C with a cooler sea breeze than of late. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

Noticeably cooler today, maxed at 28.3°C.

26.5°C at Hurn, 3pm update.

Posted
6 hours ago, Alderc said:

If Hurn can get too 30C today it'll be the first time since Aug 1995 that 30C has been reached on 4 consecutive days, and only the second time since 1976. The hot spells of 1983/1989/1990/1994/1997/2003/2006/2013 only managed 2-3days of consecutive 30C. Truly amazing if it happens. 

Well it seems as if they couldn't manage it again, today...

11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Noticeably cooler today, maxed at 28.3°C.

26.5°C at Hurn, 3pm update.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Much cloudier this afternoon, still breezy, thank goodness.  Max of 30.8°C, very little change since that occurred.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

A fair day, clouded up around lunch time, sun coming out from time to time, but still very warm and feels pretty humid.

Posted

Max of 30.3C today making it the 3rd consecutive day over 30C. A lot more cloud around this afternoon compared to yesterday making it feel slightly less scorching when the sun goes in. 

Posted

The Portsmouth News quoting from the met office

Gosport was the hottest place in UK Yesterday and the year to date at 32.4.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/people/gosport-is-the-hottest-place-in-the-uk-so-far-this-year-and-sweltering-weather-is-set-to-continue-1-8560208

Posted

I've not had any issues with sleeping. Overnight temps have been around 13 - 15°C since it all started. Not too bad now, 20.9°C but feeling fresher this evening. I have noticed over the past 30 days, I have recorded the longest stretch of low humidity. I don't even get this amount in Spring. Quite unusual! 

Posted

Morning All, an overnight of 16C with a cool breeze greets the day, very pleasant start. The channel looking clear this morning with a nice view across to Ol' Harry sat there gracefully in the early morning sunshine with a layer of patchy Cu.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Only a high of 28.7c at 2pm yesterday, after Sunday's hottest day of the year 31.3c
Was 20c at midnight and a low of 16.8c at 5:30am.
Now 18c, 1024.1 hPa

Edited by lettice