Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Morning all!

Well it's snow watch time again. 

This is so IMBY so thought best not to post in the MOD thread - in fact, it's by far the most IMBY post I think I'll ever write, as it shows Portsmouth as the only spot in the entire country with snow cover (aside mountain peaks) first thing tomorrow morning. Would be the first and last time if it happened!!

18112106_2000.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

Morning all!

Well it's snow watch time again. 

This is so IMBY so thought best not to post in the MOD thread - in fact, it's by far the most IMBY post I think I'll ever write, as it shows Portsmouth as the only spot in the entire country with snow cover (aside mountain peaks) first thing tomorrow morning. Would be the first and last time if it happened!!

18112106_2000.gif

Hi MWB

Hirlam (AKA short timeframe model god!) showing this up quite nicely. I fact a few aces tomorrow morning could see wintry precipitation falling for a while! 

tempresult_nwl0.gif

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
36 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Hi MWB

Hirlam (AKA short timeframe model god!) showing this up quite nicely. I fact a few aces tomorrow morning could see wintry precipitation falling for a while! 

tempresult_nwl0.gif

Interesting! Not expecting much if anything to be honest but definitely going to be worth a lamppost watch anywhere from Dartmoor through Somerset/Wiltshire/Dorset/Hampshire!

What's interesting though is that the snow chances for us seem dependent on torrential heavy showers across the channel maintaining intensity as they make landfall. Which suggests that, if the snowfall threshold is reached (what would you say, 20% chance??), it will probably be short lived but very heavy!

N Somerset coast and Bristol Channel actually looking like good spots for a flurry on a number of models (for tomorrow morning).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

After a low of 3.8°C last night, it’s been dull and cold today do far. 5.6°C

Posted
11 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Interesting! Not expecting much if anything to be honest but definitely going to be worth a lamppost watch anywhere from Dartmoor through Somerset/Wiltshire/Dorset/Hampshire!

What's interesting though is that the snow chances for us seem dependent on torrential heavy showers across the channel maintaining intensity as they make landfall. Which suggests that, if the snowfall threshold is reached (what would you say, 20% chance??), it will probably be short lived but very heavy!

N Somerset coast and Bristol Channel actually looking like good spots for a flurry on a number of models (for tomorrow morning).

Yep, looks like evaporative cooling will be required. It’s just nice to see in November.

FWIW, i don't think our next cold chance will appear now until Mid December, contrary to what a few are musing in the Hunt for cold thread. Not sure about this 48-72 he climb down at all! Seems more hopeful than insightful!

• Like 3

Posted
36 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Yep, looks like evaporative cooling will be required. It’s just nice to see in November.

FWIW, i don't think our next cold chance will appear now until Mid December, contrary to what a few are musing in the Hunt for cold thread. Not sure about this 48-72 he climb down at all! Seems more hopeful than insightful!

And I'm with you on this one too, there seemed like there might be a window early next week but the backtrack needed looks too big now - I'm pretty convinced we'll see a pulse of Swlies in the D10/D15 period which will wipe out cold chances for the first week of December

All seems very typical of late November cold attempts - whenever it doesn't quite cut the mustard, it often conspires that December goes largely mild (as the failed cold attempt is an indication that the vortex is on the way up) - it's only when we get a very strong and lasting cold pattern at this time of year that early December seems to follow suit.

But maybe this year will buck that trend, trends are there to be broken eh! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The possibility of some hefty showers developing and moving in to Southern counties tomorrow afternoon. IoW and West would be a shout. Low parameters for thunder, but an outside chance. Certainly some hail if the showers are intense enough.

A shallow low to the South moving a small trough in.

BRAEU_24.thumb.gif.61e1813a560cc6f2398faff9711df373.gif

Could be fun!

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Hi MWB

tempresult_nwl0.gif

I think us in the East of the region might see some before the day is out...

• Like 2

This will be marginal at best but colder air is drifting into the south-east and it's snowing in Paris and much of northern France. If it starts spreading our way, I'll be back later. Here are some live charts and gif images.

24 hour temps to 1300 Tues                                  Live Radar                                                 Live radar

tempresult_vdk6.gif   lastsnowradar_uk.gif    lastsnowradar.gif   

Live Sat                                                    Live Sat                                    24 hour Dew Points to 1300

anim_ir.gif    anim_ir_color.gif   tempresult_etl8.gif

David  

Edited by Guest

Posted
10 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

This will be marginal at best but colder air is drifting into the south-east and it's snowing in Paris and much of northern France. If it starts spreading our way, I'll be back later. Here are some live charts and gif images.

tempresult_vdk6.gif   lastsnowradar_uk.gif    lastsnowradar.gif   

anim_ir.gif    anim_ir_color.gif   tempresult_etl8.gif

David  

You know when “Sir David” starts posting things are getting interesting

thanks David, that saves me going looking for those links

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It’s been raining on and off for the last hour here and the temperatures dropped to 3.5°C. ? 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted

Just popped up to the new forest 300fasl

wintery element to the weather, ice pellets falling as I type , 3c 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Question is is it worth me spending my night on Mendip??  Or do I just stay at other half's in Bradford? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
22 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Question is is it worth me spending my night on Mendip??  Or do I just stay at other half's in Bradford? 

Depends whats on offer.......in either place 

• Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, Nights King said:

If you’re heading to Bradford you may want to leave soon.... bit of a trek

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Imagine if it were late December or January. Snow would be starting very soon!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

METO and google are showing rain and snow for me this evening and tonight so I'm actually looking forward to it!

Posted

I swear I read last week or at the weekend that this week would bring much colder air but dry and bright conditions? It's been nothing but ghastly so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
21 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

If you’re heading to Bradford you may want to leave soon.... bit of a trek

Bradford upon Avon. 

:clap:

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Bradford upon Avon. 

:clap:

anyone spotted this little fella/Sheila/door handle off the Sussex coast developing? 

C77137AE-E2D0-4245-9A36-82BE883025A7.thumb.jpeg.c9b601c51b100207a74d9b9012595daa.jpeg

Edited by karlos1983
Didn’t want to come across as gender specific ?
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Pretty sure I just saw some sleet mixed in with the rain