Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Nice to have a bit of weather, good stormy conditions at Sidmouth on Friday evening, surprising amount of cars driving through all the spray and some stopping to watch, one in particular had more than it bargained for as a wave crashed over its bonnet! 
28.0mm of rain here from the main front.

Although the most intense showers missed here, I heard thunder from three separate cells yesterday and still had some heavy showers. 11.8mm in total since 8am yesterday (about half that last night).  It's usually too early for proper cold here so I like either this sort of weather or sunny conditions with frosts at this time of year.

18 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Wasn’t Christmas Day, was similar to last night but very prolonged. I went to Bournemouth on the day to watch Panto, hence why I think it was just before Christmas.  

Oh yes I did.....

@Mapantz any ideas....

Possibly 23rd December 2013

I had 42mm and remember a couple of intense line segments missing me. I recall the river Mole in Surrey flooded very badly.
There's a small section on this page whch says a swathe from Dorset to Kent recorded 50 to 70mm https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/2013-decwind

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes both 2012 and 2013 were horrendously wet around Christmas but the latter was actually sunny and chilly on both the 25th and 26th here. 22nd December 2012 was an absolute soaking as were 18th and 23rd December 2013. The wind was also significant on the 23rd.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Just got completely soaked to the skin! My coat was just a gutter for the rain to fill my jean pockets and shoes ! Wow not nice 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I’ve found a few pictures I saved from 2013/14. A couple are mine and the other one I saw online at the time. 

This was the leisure centre car park in Winchester in Feb 2014 so after several storms throughout the winter. 

153D6B55-3828-435B-9F89-B9E30361C1FC.thumb.jpeg.6202995c1a9ab8070a36db910ef9eb68.jpeg

Doesn’t look that much but that water there was actually flowing out of the river, round the corner, down the road and back into the river again further down which shows how high the river levels were. There was severe flooding in parts of the city which ended up with the military putting large sandbags in the river outside the city trying to slow it down.

I found this picture of the railway tunnel at Ryde Isle of Wight. 

2825461E-4A9F-4CB4-B251-F0289B81270C.thumb.jpeg.0031113303d522b59fee831b1e3c02db.jpeg

This is what it’s normally like. 

5D4964F2-B263-4349-8EEF-EAD022A8BE45.thumb.jpeg.b0aea9e59c589fef4a287e12a1efc81c.jpeg

On the subject of storms and wind, this was what greeted us on our walk on Christmas Day, the tree was blocking the entrance to the park (not sure where the bollard came from as there weren’t any like that anywhere in the village). 

860A067B-F5F8-4D9B-B024-4A01B478B1A0.thumb.jpeg.1ee065cd433ba1bc897412c565f09e1f.jpeg

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Posted

That’s near as damn in 60mm in 3 days here so far!

Silver lining to today’s weather is it looks like I’ve got out of having to clear the garage out winner !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

That’s near as damn in 60mm in 3 days here so far!

Silver lining to today’s weather is it looks like I’ve got out of having to clear the garage out winner !

That’s more than the total for the whole of last month here. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Who’s our local team leader/mod person in here these days.. ? any chance of a nice shiny new thread ? 

No! ... The snow hasn't started yet! At least lets get to the 1st December ...

• Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

No! ... The snow hasn't started yet! At least lets get to the 1st December ...

So it’s you then ! Didn’t see that one coming

• Like 3

Posted

Sure it’s not you @karlos1983? ?️♂️ 

• Like 2

Posted

Anyway we haven’t reached 200 pages yet. 

To add in something about the weather, it’s sunny at the moment after a couple of light showers just now. 

• Like 1

Posted

Stunning end to the day, clear blue skies !

very interesting weekend of weather that was

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

They're back.. how many times now

image.thumb.png.fedd3ae9a4e135c4f32dc53e967b8a57.png

Posted

Turned into a nice afternoon once those showers went through earlier on. Reached 13.5°C. 

Posted
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

Stunning end to the day, clear blue skies !

very interesting weekend of weather that was

Thought it was pretty boring and didn't warrant any warnings about anything

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, CheesepuffScott said:

They're back.. how many times now

image.thumb.png.fedd3ae9a4e135c4f32dc53e967b8a57.png

Bet it’s gone now... 

It has on mine after showing several during tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
5 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Bet it’s gone now... 

It has on mine after showing several during tomorrow. 

Yes, back to sunshine and showers!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There were some meaty downpours here this morning. Pretty good sunny spells through the rest of the day, temp reached 13.9°C.

Total since Friday: 53.8mm.

• Like 1

Posted

Not quite as much here with 42.4mm since Friday but still almost as much as the 44.0mm for the whole month last month. 

Posted

Unless there's something wrong with my station, which I don't think there is, the last 3 days have all seen a high of 13.5°C. What are the chances of that?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
15 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Unless there's something wrong with my station, which I don't think there is, the last 3 days have all seen a high of 13.5°C. What are the chances of that?

Almost the same here, 13.9, 13.8 and 13.9°C today. 

• Like 1

Posted

Glad it's not just me.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

There were some meaty downpours here this morning. Pretty good sunny spells through the rest of the day, temp reached 13.9°C.

Total since Friday: 53.8mm.

Get any snow out of em mate?

Posted

65mm since early Wednesday so the wettest week for a long time.

Amusingly amongst a virtually cloudless day there was one shower perfectly timed for the Remembrance Parade in mid afternoon!

I am hoping we get a proper surface cold anticyclone develop after next weekend complete with freezing fog, rime and dare I wish for crystallised fog falling at some stage as I haven't seen that for years.

• Like 2

Posted

Heavy shower with what sounded like a bit of hail in it just passed over giving 3.4mm in under 10 minutes.