Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Dog going mental at the letterbox

mesmerising tree movement in mine and surrounding gardens. Proper blowy!

gutted my knee is strapped up, really want to venture out   

Hoping to venture to Scotland this winter for a proper wind storm in preparation/test for next year..

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Kicked out of work early today because the chaotic weather downhere. Got home later though than normal due to traffic standstill. Didn't mind greatly the car was being rocked byvthe wind and the rain was something else. 

Incidentally rain has stopped now. Wind easing.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Kicked out of work early today because the chaotic weather downhere. Got home later though than normal due to traffic standstill. Didn't mind greatly the car was being rocked byvthe wind and the rain was something else. 

Incidentally rain has stopped now. Wind easing.

Did the wind ease after the rain cleared through? Just gauging how long we’ll have the strong winds for here

Posted
23 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Gosh .. hope not through your house Mapantz... ?  ... keep those red shoes on   on and remember this saying "there's no place like home "

Speaking of which, here's the thoughts of the boys and girls from torro...

TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION 2018/008

A TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION has been issued at 17:20 GMT on Friday 9th November 2018

Valid from/until: 17:20 - 03:00 GMT Friday 9th/Saturday 10th November 2018 on for the following regions of the
United Kingdom & Ireland:

SW, Cent S and SE England

Midlands

E Anglia

SE Wales

Channel Is

**Note that TCD 007 still in effect for Ireland/N Ireland until 19:00GMT.

THREATS

Wind gusts to 65mph; isolated tornadoes; isolated CG lightning

?️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Just had an abrupt power cut!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
Just now, jtay said:

Speaking of which, here's the thoughts of the boys and girls from torro...

TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION 2018/008

A TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION has been issued at 17:20 GMT on Friday 9th November 2018

Valid from/until: 17:20 - 03:00 GMT Friday 9th/Saturday 10th November 2018 on for the following regions of the
United Kingdom & Ireland:

SW, Cent S and SE England

Midlands

E Anglia

SE Wales

Channel Is

**Note that TCD 007 still in effect for Ireland/N Ireland until 19:00GMT.

THREATS

Wind gusts to 65mph; isolated tornadoes; isolated CG lightning

?️

Wow... thanks Jtay. 

You never know.. ....i don't have any red shoes though.. how about a beautiful pair of Dior's .. will they work? 

... starting to pick up and get a bit feisty here.. bit more whooshing, whistling and rustling outside happening . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've just been up the garden to check around, and make sure the new covers I built are still there, which they are. But, every leaf in the entire county is in the pond. lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A brief lull not long ago where the rain stopped and the wind wasn't as strong but now it's back. Sheltered station just recorded a 30mph gust. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

Gate gate..... just been out on my crutches fixing the blinking gate  

no drop off here, if anything it’s getting windier!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The radar shows a squall should've gone through here but didn't notice any change in conditions at all. Now the rain is abating a little. Not quite as dramatic as the notable squall that went through in September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.
21 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've just been up the garden to check around, and make sure the new covers I built are still there, which they are. But, every leaf in the entire county is in the pond. lol

I wish you all joy clearing that lot out! Been there, done that and didn't like it! Wet and soggy just like my garden at the mo. Hubby just walked down to the corner shop to get me some dark chocolate! Mmmm! Worth a million that man is. He reckons it is blowing a real hoolie out there now, it certainly sounds like it with all the banging and clattering outside.

Edited by coldfingers1
  • Like 1

Posted

Chimet now showing gusting up to storm force 10. Lovely, haven't had a nice storm for such a long time!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Wiltshire_snow_lover said:

Electric keeps going on off here 

That will most likely be the power lines blowing in the wind and shorting out regularly. When it gets to storm force that often happens.

Edited by coldfingers1

Posted

I remember when I was growing up (long process still in full swing) we had a huge gable Window, that used to flex in the wind. A couple of times it blew in. Back in the early 90’s when storms were more common doon south!

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

For me it is. My window faces East so no rain or wind gets in from these directions. I like to be able to hear the elements.

I'm with you on that one. Have dual aspect bedroom and sitting room with windows facing north and east and love listening to the wind and rain outside

• Like 1

Posted

Well here on the South Coast this is the strongest storm we have had for at least a year, usually we are too far east to experience too strong a gale. Currently mean wind speed F9 gusting Force 10. Much higher than they forecast for our area. Even the shipping forecast only gave a F8 for this area. I hope not too many boats have been caught out by this. Listening to the wind raging outside now I wouldn't want to even be on the sea front never mind on a boat.

Just noticed Netweather Max gusts currently showing 66mph for Portland, a tad more than a trifle breezy there I think.

Actually this site is showing a lot of shipping traffic in the Channel, rather them than me!

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-2.9/centery:50.4/zoom:8

Edited by coldfingers1
update
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Looks a bit rough at Dawlish.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, coldfingers1 said:

Well here on the South Coast this is the strongest storm we have had for at least a year, usually we are too far east to experience too strong a gale. Currently mean wind speed F9 gusting Force 10. Much higher than they forecast for our area. Even the shipping forecast only gave a F8 for this area. I hope not too many boats have been caught out by this. Listening to the wind raging outside now I wouldn't want to even be on the sea front never mind on a boat.

Just noticed Netweather Max gusts currently showing 66mph for Portland, a tad more than a trifle breezy there I think.

Think it’s cos it is a direct southerly not a south westerly?.. south westerly you / we (my parents too) get a bit of shelter from the land points to the east.. southerly different story.. it was indeed some years ago my parents had a southerly like this. ( Dad is an ex sailor so knows his weather!) 

51A117AC-EDE2-4974-90BB-57423BA0D5EA.jpeg

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted

Not far from me this one. 

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

I have though it's not too cold so the thermostat hasn't kicked in

Naughty . .. don’t let them fat utility company cats get more off you.. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Think it’s cos it is a direct southerly not a south westerly?.. south westerly you / we (my parents too) get a bit of shelter from the land points to the east.. southerly different story.. it was indeed some years ago my parents had a southerly like this. ( Dad is an ex sailor so knows his weather!) 

I agree PB, very rare for Bognor to get a true southerly wind and yes, we usually get a fair degree of shelter from I.O.W in South Westerlies. Enjoying it though! Loved both those videos above and many thanks to ones who posted them. Here our high tide isn't due until after midnight so we wont get much flooding on seafront as it will almost certainly have moderated by then.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Naughty . .. don’t let them fat utility company cats get more off you.. 

This house we're in at the moment is really well insulated, unlike our old. Plus, the central heating thermostat actually works properly and won't kick in unless the temp in the house goes below 18. Even with the windows open it's still 20c in the bedroom

• Like 1