Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Good Morning everyone (maybe afternoon by the time the post is moderated?)

I thought I'd say hello so that I don't feel so much of a stranger when (hopefully) things get exiting later in the year!

New account this year as I foolishly signed up via facebook last year and it's hogged my username and display name.

Glorious day so far in Wembury.  Clear blue skies in all directions and a light breeze moving the thinnest of branches.  Currently 10c in still air from a low of 1.7c at 7am.

I missed most of the thunder on Halloween.  I thought it was fireworks, as I live near a wedding venue; but when the downpour caught my attention I caught the tail end.

Here's to a good season for one and all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Another sub-zero night here last night with a low of -3.2C.

Clear weather currently with a temperature of +3.2C.

Posted
32 minutes ago, Steve_in_Wembury said:

Good Morning everyone (maybe afternoon by the time the post is moderated?)

I thought I'd say hello so that I don't feel so much of a stranger when (hopefully) things get exiting later in the year!

New account this year as I foolishly signed up via facebook last year and it's hogged my username and display name.

Glorious day so far in Wembury.  Clear blue skies in all directions and a light breeze moving the thinnest of branches.  Currently 10c in still air from a low of 1.7c at 7am.

I missed most of the thunder on Halloween.  I thought it was fireworks, as I live near a wedding venue; but when the downpour caught my attention I caught the tail end.

Here's to a good season for one and all.

You can just login using the facebook login button to get back to that account :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
47 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

A hard frost this morning, down to -1.3°C. Currently blue skies and 11.5°C.

I thought it had to be below -4c for it to be called a hard frost?

I love love these frosty mornings though, it has been a few years since we have had so many frosty days early in autumn. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Not quite low enough for another air frost last night with a low of 0.5°C but still a frosty start to the day. Mostly sunny now. 11.3°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
21 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I thought it had to be below -4c for it to be called a hard frost?

I didn't think there was an exact figure behind it? I've had sub-zero temps with no frost plenty of times, but this morning, the soil and lawn were very hard, thick ice on cars & white over everything. In contrast to Wednesday, sheds were white, but the lawn and soil were still soft despite getting down to -2.3°C.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I didn't think there was an exact figure behind it? I've had sub-zero temps with no frost plenty of times, but this morning, the soil and lawn were very hard, thick ice on cars & white over everything. In contrast to Wednesday, sheds were white, but the lawn and soil were still soft despite getting down to -2.3°C.

I always thought a frost was defined by the temperature and not the visible frost/rime or how hard the ground is etc.

Found this on wiki -

• slight frost: 0 to −3.5 °C (32.0 to 25.7 °F)
  • moderate frost: −3.6 to −6.5 °C (25.6 to 20.3 °F)
  • severe frost: −6.6 to −11.5 °C (20.2 to 11.3 °F)
  • very severe frost: below −11.5 °C (11.3 °F)
Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Nights King said:

I always thought a frost was defined by the temperature and not the visible frost/rhime or how hard the ground is etc.

Found this on wiki -

• slight frost: 0 to −3.5 °C (32.0 to 25.7 °F)
  • moderate frost: −3.6 to −6.5 °C (25.6 to 20.3 °F)
  • severe frost: −6.6 to −11.5 °C (20.2 to 11.3 °F)
  • very severe frost: below −11.5 °C (11.3 °F)

I can rule that out completely in my opinion, more so for my location. It does say subjective. -3.5°C or below is rare to get here even in Winter (Only 5 times in 3 years) and they class that as a slight frost - no way was it a slight frost here.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not saying this is the case here, but the number of times I hear people saying there's a hard frost because it's really visible when in fact it might only be -1C. Yet it can be invisible but actually it's -7C eg during the beast last Feb.

Either way, the 'moist' frosts are always the photogenic ones, and what a cracking day today, especially to be in Wells for business.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Not saying this is the case here, but the number of times I hear people saying there's a hard frost because it's really visible when in fact it might only be -1C. Yet it can be invisible but actually it's -7C eg during the beast last Feb.

Either way, the 'moist' frosts are always the photogenic ones, and what a cracking day today, especially to be in Wells for business.

Yes I completely agree.

By most peoples standards a frost has to be 'white' and it bugs me if I tell them its going to be a hard frost and they say next day "well we didnt get a frost" and I will be thinking but it is -7c outside of course it is a frost. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

First October since 2010 when we had an air frost in that month, -0.1°C on 29th, exactly 0°C on 30th and -0.6°C on 31st.  This morning it was -1.1°C, currently 11.0°C, still sunny, not much breeze.  Taking advantage and going for a walk.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I can rule that out completely in my opinion, more so for my location. It does say subjective. -3.5°C or below is rare to get here even in Winter (Only 5 times in 3 years) and they class that as a slight frost - no way was it a slight frost here.

I would call it a light frost though, working with plants most of the half hardy plants will be fine with a light frost its when you drop down to the -4/5c that you start to lose tender perennials and see real damage.

Only got down to -0.9c here but looked quite pretty.

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

image.thumb.png.eec53439435e98f36311ca05d09d79de.png

Another forecast for thunder that will end up disappearing in a few hours like last time :)

Posted

First ground frost of the season to survive in the shade here today 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Nights King said:

Yes I completely agree.

By most peoples standards a frost has to be 'white' and it bugs me if I tell them its going to be a hard frost and they say next day "well we didnt get a frost" and I will be thinking but it is -7c outside of course it is a frost. 

Quite. You can't see it, but it's there all right.  Ask any gardener! In contrast, we were barely -1c a couple of mornings ago and it looked stunning, but the digger doing our trenches cut through it like butter. -3.5c again here overnight but had our first icy roads this morning, even on the main road

Posted
3 hours ago, Nights King said:

I didn't say it doesn't need to be white, but basing the severity of a frost by a temperature scale isn't particularly accurate, especially by geographical location, hence why it says subjective. It was most certainly a hard frost here, regardless of it being -1.3°C.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

It's been a glorious day here. Was working all day on a south facing border that's backed by a 10ft high stone wall, so warm in the sunshine I ended up working in a t shirt. Temperature already dropping like a stone now, currently 4.7c according to wunderground and falling.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

I didn't say it doesn't need to be white, but basing the severity of a frost by a temperature scale isn't particularly accurate, especially by geographical location, hence why it says subjective. It was most certainly a hard frost here, regardless of it being -1.3°C.

I understand what your saying with it being unusual for you but I would have thought temperature is only way to categorize the severity especially if we are looking at it statistically speaking?

Obviously how damaging a frost is depends on weather it is radiation frost or just a cold windy day with an ambient temperature below freezing but that aside surely we cant changes the parameters due to location?

For example if Florida gets a ground frost we cant call it a severe frost just because it is rare? Surely they just experience light frosts no matter how damaging it may be to my orange juice price? :good: 

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

After dropping to 4.1°C less than an hour ago it's suddenly shot back up to 8.2°C and still rising quickly.

Posted

Up to 11.0°C now, getting close to being the warmest part of the 'day'. 

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Up to 11.0°C now, getting close to being the warmest part of the 'day'. 

That was quite an increase in temps here..

TemperatureDay.thumb.png.d7c48b8b272b9296568522663067d8c9.png

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

That was quite an increase in temps here..

TemperatureDay.thumb.png.d7c48b8b272b9296568522663067d8c9.png

Yes I don't remember seeing such a rapid rise in temperature recently if at all. Just looked back and at 8pm it was 3.5°C and at 10pm it was 10.2°C. Since then it's slowed but still rising very slowly now, currently 11.1°C.

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1