Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
22 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

GFS certainly thinks so. I always prefer a cold start on the Continent anyway, logic has to say it would increase our chances of colder shots of weather, especially if we pick up a Beasterly! 

Yes I think it does increase our chances I've heard lots of people say that. I think this winter could be interesting weather wise....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Mostly dull and dry all day apart from a bit of drizzle around lunchtime. Eventually reached 15.7°C later on this afternoon. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

It's very foggy here, surprised to see it when I left college, slow drive home.  Properly autumnal.

Posted
7 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Still miles behind what you'd usually expect at this time of year. Be interesting how to see how Mr Cohen's theory stands up if it remains low throughout October...

Isn't his theory based upon the speed of the spread of snow cover. not just the extent? Or have I got that completely wrong?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, jethro said:

Isn't his theory based upon the speed of the spread of snow cover. not just the extent? Or have I got that completely wrong?

I think the theory is that the snow cover maintains the high pressure, the Russian / Siberian high is the key as it can attack the PV early, before it is properly formed, stopping it becoming strong.

• Like 2

Posted

Fog has lifted over night, now is just misty in places, Currently 12.4 °C, with RH 99%

Updated 07:36 The mist has come back down again...

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
8 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think the theory is that the snow cover maintains the high pressure, the Russian / Siberian high is the key as it can attack the PV early, before it is properly formed, stopping it becoming strong.

I see, thanks for making sense of it for me - I'm guilty of skim reading stuff (appalling habit) so I often only take in/remember bits of stuff.

Still foggy here, don't know how widespread it is but I suspect as soon as I drop down off the Mendips it will be clear. Downside of living on top of a big hill, it's quite often foggy but it's really just a low cloud base. Very mild again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
32 minutes ago, jethro said:

I see, thanks for making sense of it for me - I'm guilty of skim reading stuff (appalling habit) so I often only take in/remember bits of stuff.

Still foggy here, don't know how widespread it is but I suspect as soon as I drop down off the Mendips it will be clear. Downside of living on top of a big hill, it's quite often foggy but it's really just a low cloud base. Very mild again.

It is nasty up here this morning. thick fog. 

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Fog, hazy sun, more fog and now drizzle to add to the mix. :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Cloudy and slightly warmer than yesterday at the moment. 16.5°C

Posted

Been bobbins all day, but it looks to be clearing to the West now.

Sat24.com suggests some of us might get a half decent late afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 hours ago, jethro said:

This is just my personal opinion but I think Scandinavian snow cover is very important, don't worry about anything lower than 60N.

• Like 2

Posted

Right all you lovely people, despite personally not being ready to accept summer is over, let alone admit to it being autumn, it's apparently time to plan for winter. There's no time to waste so go out and stock up on shovels, rock salt, bulk buy bread, dried milk and lots of Gin, winter is coming and it's coming the week after next. We're going to be up to our necks in snow from then until Easter, Armageddon IS coming. Don't forget, you heard it here first ….. https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/severe-snowfall-end-october-somerset-2112807?fbclid=IwAR0G3P_RDsHHhI_kNopgqPwXQ3v5V-qli49gbF8rXKNHCm4yiWFc7kttqLU

Posted
8 hours ago, Nights King said:

It is nasty up here this morning. thick fog. 

It was a bit grim, good old Mendip murk. Look on the bright side, we wouldn't have moss and fern covered walls without it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
6 minutes ago, jethro said:

Right all you lovely people, despite personally not being ready to accept summer is over, let alone admit to it being autumn, it's apparently time to plan for winter. There's no time to waste so go out and stock up on shovels, rock salt, bulk buy bread, dried milk and lots of Gin, winter is coming and it's coming the week after next. We're going to be up to our necks in snow from then until Easter, Armageddon IS coming. Don't forget, you heard it here first ….. https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/severe-snowfall-end-october-somerset-2112807?fbclid=IwAR0G3P_RDsHHhI_kNopgqPwXQ3v5V-qli49gbF8rXKNHCm4yiWFc7kttqLU

I love snow but I don't want it to come until November around the middle of it maybe.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

I love snow but I don't want it to come until November around the middle of it maybe.

I absolutely love the stuff too, but to be honest, other than a December sprinkling/inch or two to add to the seasonal feel, it can jolly well stay away until Xmas Eve. Then and only then can it fall deep and crisp and even. It can do what it likes in January.

Posted
1 minute ago, jethro said:

I absolutely love the stuff too, but to be honest, other than a December sprinkling/inch or two to add to the seasonal feel, it can jolly well stay away until Xmas Eve. Then and only then can it fall deep and crisp and even. It can do what it likes in January.

Yes true ;) 

Posted

I know what I'd really like to see this winter, thick, thick hoare frost. It seems to be rarer than snow but it looks so pretty without the disruption that snow causes.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, jethro said:

I know what I'd really like to see this winter, thick, thick hoare frost. It seems to be rarer than snow but it looks so pretty without the disruption that snow causes.

Yes it looks amazing doesn't it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Cloud cleared allowing for a decent sighting of the sun after around half 4.