Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Had 6 torrential, squally, very windy showers since 11am today, got soaked in 3 of them!

Posted
5 hours ago, Mapantz said:

16.2°C and sunny spells.

Forecast says gusting to 40mph. Reality, gusting to 20mph. Wind forecasts have been well off over the past 24 hours.

I was in South Devon last night and I can well believe the gusts were well into the 40s. Returned home in the NE of our region this afternoon to find last night's winds had actually snapped my washing line , so for me the predictions were pretty accurate. If anything,  they were a tad conservative according to my friends!

• Like 1

Posted

A grey start, but thankfully the wind has died down to WSW 5-10mph and 15-18mph gusts.
Met office warnings for wind and rain for today and tomorrow have all been cancelled for us this morning.

Forecasts still showing rain through the day today for us here, but so far its been dry. .

Posted
4 minutes ago, lettice said:

Met office warnings for wind and rain for today and tomorrow have all been cancelled for us this morning.

Surprise surprise. Certain models a few days back over ramping the threat of a severe storm. Lesson learned for the upcoming winter when they forecast a major snow event a few days out to keep feet on the ground until much nearer the time to avoid disappointment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
6 minutes ago, bathweatherwatcher said:

Surprise surprise. Certain models a few days back over ramping the threat of a severe storm. Lesson learned for the upcoming winter when they forecast a major snow event a few days out to keep feet on the ground until much nearer the time to avoid disappointment.

As soon as the models started doubting its strength a few days ago I new it was probably going to turn into nothing.:rofl:

And I have to say the supposed storms we had just recently were themselves disappointments and weaker than I was expecting. Never even got to 40mph here.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

As soon as the models started doubting its strength a few days ago I new it was probably going to turn into nothing.

And I have to say the supposed storms we had just recently were themselves disappointments and weaker than I was expecting. Never even got to 40mph here.

It continues to weaken my faith in the Met Office yellow warnings. Earlier this summer it was for storms that never occurred, this past week for high winds that never really got going apart from storm Ali which wasn’t for our area.

The Met were far too quick to name the ‘storm’ Bronagh for Thursday night/Friday. It just makes a mockery of the naming of so called storms when you end up naming virtually every low pressure system that crosses the country. Nanny state gone mad. 

Keeping crying wolf enough and the public will switch off, if they haven’t done so already thanks to the media always hyping typical British weather. It will only be the snowflakes who will take any notice.

Edited by bathweatherwatcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And, as per usual, some of those who happen not to actually get what the Met's warning is for (be it snow, rain, wind or thunder) are blaming the warnings...as if Met Office warnings make the weather!:help:

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

And, as per usual, some of those who happen not to actually get what the Met's warning is for (be it snow, rain, wind or thunder) are blaming the warnings...as if Met Office warnings make the weather!

It really irritates me. I live in  a rural area where many people do seasonal work outdoors and may well organise their week around warnings. If there's a yellow warning out, then it's a good time to move anything that might be blown around.  We had gusts approaching 50mph Thursday night, enough to rearrange the garden furniture! Just because you haven't personally been inconvenienced by the weather, doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

As for ignoring warnings, that's your prerogative. The met office can only warn us of the risk of severe weather. It's a warning, not a guarantee

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Cool and wet out there now after a dry start. Only 11.3°C :cold:

Posted

Yes, certainly a chilly day for September. 11°C with moderate rain. Still, it's been a relatively dry and warm month so far, so I don't mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, Frosty hollows said:

It really irritates me. I live in  a rural area where many people do seasonal work outdoors and may well organise their week around warnings. If there's a yellow warning out, then it's a good time to move anything that might be blown around.  We had gusts approaching 50mph Thursday night, enough to rearrange the garden furniture! Just because you haven't personally been inconvenienced by the weather, doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

As for ignoring warnings, that's your prerogative. The met office can only warn us of the risk of severe weather. It's a warning, not a guarantee

That's all well and good. But, the winds were stronger here on Wednesday, trees blew down on the railway between here and Poole - no warnings out for that.

The problem is consistency, or the lack of it. Met Office warnings for wind events used to be good, but adding in the naming system has become shambolic. There wasn't even an amber warning issued despite that being the criteria to name a storm. The warning system needs to be overhauled, it is getting ever more complicated and more and more people are laughing at it.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

10.4c and been raining all day, 32.1mm so far! Welcome to Autumn.

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Thoroughly miserable here too. Persistent, but mostly light, rain started around half nine and continues.  Temp hit the dizzy heights of 12.2°C earlier before dropping back to 11.7 about an hour ago.  Roll on Monday and some sunshine!

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

That's all well and good. But, the winds were stronger here on Wednesday, trees blew down on the railway between here and Poole - no warnings out for that.

The problem is consistency, or the lack of it. Met Office warnings for wind events used to be good, but adding in the naming system has become shambolic. There wasn't even an amber warning issued despite that being the criteria to name a storm. The warning system needs to be overhauled, it is getting ever more complicated and more and more people are laughing at it.

Made all the worse by the media jumping on every single yellow warning as if the apocalypse was coming. Okay you can’t blame the Met Office for that but they are the ones feeding the beast. I remember in the early days of the Met Office issuing warnings that you’d better take notice because they were only ever issued when there was the potential for some severe weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Non stop rain in Somerset today, chilly, breezy at times proper autumnal it be and I loves it  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Been quite a cool, damp day, with mostly drizzly rain and a few showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Rain is almost gone now, didn't really stop, though it was mostly drizzly light rain with the occasional heavy outburst giving a current total of 12.3mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just drizzle left now after the heavier rain during the afternoon which gave a total of 11.0mm. The temperatures responded too and it’s risen to a ‘warm’ 12.1°C 

Posted

That time of year again (where the coldies come out of hibernation slightly too early, likewise the warm-weather lovers come out too early during late March) and there is a lot of tension and arguing happening on the MAD thread. I would wait until November for wanting the cold!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

As much as I love snow and cold, it can indeed wait another few weeks. It's still autumn :)

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

As much as I love snow and cold, it can indeed wait another few weeks. It's still autumn :)

Exactly

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Just thinking, given how shallow this feature has ended up being, that this could've been a snow event if in mid winter. A typical slider scenario followed by a clear frosty high - perfect!

Instead we've had 22mm of rain and the highest temp was at midnight lol.

• Like 1