Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

So the sun finally comes out at 5pm... Let's have it from the start tomorrow please!

Posted

Any idea when this sunny spell is meant to start?

Posted

A real 'autumnal' morning down here, thick mist started off our day, which has burnt off and led to a cloudless day, with the temps running away again. Currently 23.6°C and a RH77%

Posted

You'll have to bear with my moaning, but it works wonders at clearing cloud. Unbroken sunshine from 10.30 until now where it has begun to cloud over again, but for once allowed the sun to be out during peak hours! As such, it's 28C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I can never get a sustained maximum temperature here. It immediately drops as soon as it hit's the max, which was 30.3°C. I was only 0.1°C away from a new apparent temperature record too, 32.8°C.

Currently 29.1°C.

Posted
On 01/08/2018 at 16:31, Mapantz said:

Down to 11.3°C this morning. Blue skies all the way and maxed out at 22.1°C. Looking forward to the mercury rising once again.

Recorded 280.4 hours of sunshine in August.

SunshineByMonth.thumb.png.8657e19ad4710ca1eb93b23f51427e37.png

That graph reminds me how much cloudier it is up here than near the coast. The sunniest month of the year in Reading on average is also July, but we fail to average even 200 hours in any month (Reading University 1980-2010). However, this year the university station managed 299 hours in July, which is truly exceptional.

In the meantime it's hot again here with the temperature just reaching 30C early afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely sunny day in Salcombe, 26c at the mo. Can see the cloud beginning to build over Dartmoor, little bit of convection bubbling up but not expecting anything much to develop beyond that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Sunny and warm with blue skies. Less of a breeze today so it reached 26.9°C earlier, a slightly more of a breeze now so it’s dropped a bit to 24.8°C. 

Posted

Can someone explain why there's usually a 5 - 10 degree variation in temps between different forecasters for my area?

I believe we reached 26° here today. Met office not far out. I'm blaming the fact the weather station is at Portland bill? bbc wants to believe that the temperature there is the same as here. 

So irritating, i've had people message me saying the weather here is crap - no.. it's actually pretty hot!

Screenshot_20180803-160805_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180803-160923_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, MrMoonlight said:

Can someone explain why there's usually a 5 - 10 degree variation in temps between different forecasters for my area?

I believe we reached 26° here today. Met office not far out. I'm blaming the fact the weather station is at Portland bill? bbc wants to believe that the temperature there is the same as here. 

So irritating, i've had people message me saying the weather here is crap - no.. it's actually pretty hot!

Screenshot_20180803-160805_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180803-160923_Chrome.jpg

I think you have in one answered your own question. It's location,location, location. Portland Bill sticks out into the English Channel with a decent breeze all the way around, and given that the land mass is relatively small compared to the sea area the temperature there is largely driven by the sea, when the wind like today is on shore. Look at Matt's report, his temperatures are always down compared to inland ones, because he's near the coast. Whereas I am inland and surrounded on three sides by houses and live on gravel land, so it cooks a treat here, one reason for my warm temperature today, with a very light breeze hardly making any difference to the temperature. So it's all dependent upon where the temperature is being taken, and horses for courses, so it's warmer here than on the coast, but I look at season/year on year variations rather than peaks or dips compared to others in the area, which are usually generally close anyway.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Maxed out at 29.2°C here, dropped to 26.9°C as the cloud cover came across.  Yeovilton, my nearest station, showing 27.9°C at 16.00, so considering the fact that my set up is nothing like as complex and accurate as theirs, I'm satisfied with my results.

Posted
2 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

I think you have in one answered your own question. It's location,location, location. Portland Bill sticks out into the English Channel with a decent breeze all the way around, and given that the land mass is relatively small compared to the sea area the temperature there is largely driven by the sea, when the wind like today is on shore. Look at Matt's report, his temperatures are always down compared to inland ones, because he's near the coast. Whereas I am inland and surrounded on three sides by houses and live on gravel land, so it cooks a treat here, one reason for my warm temperature today, with a very light breeze hardly making any difference to the temperature. So it's all dependent upon where the temperature is being taken, and horses for courses, so it's warmer here than on the coast, but I look at season/year on year variations rather than peaks or dips compared to others in the area, which are usually generally close anyway.

Thanks, yeah Portland is known to be significantly cooler than surrounding areas because of it's location sticking out into the channel. Still don't understand why temperature forecasts for Weymouth are so varied and close and if not the same as Portland, as that's dead wrong!

Edited by MrMoonlight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

Here in cheltenham cloudy and breezy around lunchtime. Line of v light showers around 2.00 and then sun comes out, breeze drops and temps up to 28.0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Had a second peak of 30.1°C between 5 and 6pm, and then a second flying ant day.

Amazing skies out there right now:

20180803_204532.thumb.jpg.f7cc491dcc8329edc78a028dceb0eee0.jpg 20180803_204634.thumb.jpg.928a202d8c90ea3074732009f4c9ad0f.jpg 20180803_204728.thumb.jpg.b1497d4f812f57bcb79657edcb4c5652.jpg 20180803_205156.thumb.jpg.dbcc6f845ea41bb6a5f955eea4828423.jpg 20180803_205450.thumb.jpg.ab89e964023b7768a4c37534be49d16c.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Nothing as spectacular as that here, Mapantz.  Very much a pale pinky-orange and a very pale blue background.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Warmest it's felt here at this time of the evening for a while considering usually the sea breeze has kept it cooler. Still 23.3°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Can’t believed it’s pitch black now, exactly one month ago it was still bright after 10.