Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
13 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

I might end up with 42mm all from the mad 2 hours last Friday.

Drizzling now though.

Hi Andy

are you in Warminster? 

What a weird weather event. I was sat in the garden here in Frome watching Cley hill completely dissapear and you know when that happens they are having an absoloute pasting.

there was no rain at all over bath side of Frome. 

Yet it must have lashed for 2hrs minimum in the same spot over there . You must have had major flooding from that lot. Corsley over to Warminster and looked over to westbury too. 

Unbelievably and I was sat in shorts watching the whole even over there . 

Posted
1 hour ago, offerman said:

Hi Andy

are you in Warminster? 

What a weird weather event. I was sat in the garden here in Frome watching Cley hill completely dissapear and you know when that happens they are having an absoloute pasting.

there was no rain at all over bath side of Frome. 

Yet it must have lashed for 2hrs minimum in the same spot over there . You must have had major flooding from that lot. Corsley over to Warminster and looked over to westbury too. 

Unbelievably and I was sat in shorts watching the whole even over there . 

Hi Offerman, yes I am in Warminster.

It was remarkable how rapidly the storm formed literally overhead from what had been a mostly clear sky.

My boy and I had just got back from a walk up the woods! It was like a monsoon for an hour then sporadically heavy for the second hour.

The 5 minute net weather radar updates from that few hours are incredible in showing how quickly the rain intensified!

Yes there was some flash flooding locally. 

Westbury and Trowbridge had it bad too but nothing in BoA! 

Posted
58 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

It was remarkable how rapidly the storm formed literally overhead from what had been a mostly clear sky.

My boy and I had just got back from a walk up the woods! It was like a monsoon for an hour then sporadically heavy for the second hour.

The 5 minute net weather radar updates from that few hours are incredible in showing how quickly the rain intensified!

EF483441-81BE-4A57-B2EB-AECD7C762619.jpeg

AB42DBBE-B807-4803-B1E0-5A5213A84915.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

I’m not sure if this will work but I will attempt to post a Time-lapse of what was going on directly over my house whilst you guys were having flashfloods.   Was interesting to see whilst no rain fell from that here. 

Andy,  The other thing I noticed is that from here Cleyhill now looks really green because of all that rain I don’t know what is like on your side . 

Before that rain it was absolutely bone dry just like over here . 

Interesting thing would be I wish there was a satellite view available of Warminster and Froome and there would be complete contrast despite only being 6- 7 miles apart 

Almost like a dividing line between desert and lush green  from about Corsley over to you and then Corsley to Frome . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Well, they got that forecast wrong again. It's supposed to be blue skies according to both the BBC and Met Office, but it is completely cloudy. 22.6°C

The weekend's forecast has changed dramatically too! Again, it was supposed to be blue skies from start to finish, but now it's cloudy throughout the whole weekend. Temp's were showing 28°C for Saturday, and 27°C for Sunday, that has now changed to 24°C and 25°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy
1 hour ago, offerman said:

I’m not sure if this will work but I will attempt to post a Time-lapse of what was going on directly over my house whilst you guys were having flashfloods.   Was interesting to see whilst no rain fell from that here. 

Andy,  The other thing I noticed is that from here Cleyhill now looks really green because of all that rain I don’t know what is like on your side . 

Before that rain it was absolutely bone dry just like over here . 

Interesting thing would be I wish there was a satellite view available of Warminster and Froome and there would be complete contrast despite only being 6- 7 miles apart 

Almost like a dividing line between desert and lush green  from about Corsley over to you and then Corsley to Frome . 

EFFDF115-F8BF-4128-8B04-65A4BBA11710.MOV

I got back to Warminster around 4 ish and it was mostly dry until the outskirts. Driving into the middle I couldn't believe how wet it was. I go soaked going 2 m from car to door, and the dog did not want to go out.

Oddly quite a lot of the lawns in town are still very dry - I suspect an awful lot of the rain ran straight off. My allotment did get a good drink though, so I've finally been able to ease off on the watering!

• Thanks 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Well, they got that forecast wrong again. It's supposed to be blue skies according to both the BBC and Met Office, but it is completely cloudy. 22.6°C

The weekend's forecast has changed dramatically too! Again, it was supposed to be blue skies from start to finish, but now it's cloudy throughout the whole weekend. Temp's were showing 28°C for Saturday, and 27°C for Sunday, that has now changed to 24°C and 25°C.

Well at least it's dry, they are cleaning the 12 storey Home Apartments @ the top of Richmond hill and the guys are hanging out there on long ropes, so the lack of wind and the lack of rain is probably well appreciated by them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Yet again it looks dark to the north of here, unlike yesterday when there wasn’t any rain nearby, it looks like there is a tiny shower showing on the radar. 

Mostly cloudy at the moment although the sun was out not long ago. 19.9°C. 

671EB079-F52C-4126-87D5-85A0E9EA2B67.jpeg

Edited by matt111

Posted
4 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Interesting perspective compared to 

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/16360864.30c-heat-on-the-cards-for-this-weekend-and-dorsets-only-had-22mm-of-rain-this-month/?ref=mr&lp=5

Posted
4 hours ago, warmintim said:

I got back to Warminster around 4 ish and it was mostly dry until the outskirts. Driving into the middle I couldn't believe how wet it was. I go soaked going 2 m from car to door, and the dog did not want to go out.

Oddly quite a lot of the lawns in town are still very dry - I suspect an awful lot of the rain ran straight off. My allotment did get a good drink though, so I've finally been able to ease off on the watering!

My lawn is half as brown as last week. It came down so fast that gutters couldn't cope and therefore water butts hardly benefitted!

This has been added by the Met Office today. Two Fridays in a row perhaps? ...

IMG_2693.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

If that latest GFS run comes off next week (we all know it won't) I will be happy to be in a different country where everything has A/C because that is dangerous heat.

Edited by Leon1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
9 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

If that latest GFS run comes off next week (we all know it won't) I will be happy to be in a different country where everything has A/C because that is dangerous heat.

I am going to be stuck in the Parisian cesspit. Luckily I got a holiday apartment with AC, hope it works or I'll boil to death trying to sleep if this comes off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
1 hour ago, CheesepuffScott said:

I am going to be stuck in the Parisian cesspit. Luckily I got a holiday apartment with AC, hope it works or I'll boil to death trying to sleep if this comes off.

:( I'm actually worried for peoples lives here, I mean 30s is lovely but this sort of heat can kill. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, CheesepuffScott said:

IF that comes off a cesspit in Paris, with or without AC will not be welcomed, enjoy....

• Like 1

Posted

Have i missed something what’s coming next week? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
41 minutes ago, offerman said:

A week a way but... ukmaxtemp-5.thumb.png.6a3b9260ec70df37892429931dd0f13b.png

Edited by CheesepuffScott

Posted
9 hours ago, offerman said:

8 hours ago, CheesepuffScott said:

A week a way but... ukmaxtemp-5.thumb.png.6a3b9260ec70df37892429931dd0f13b.png

Thank you CPS

Posted

I have two breaks coming up

in August one from

3rd for few days and the other from

10th for couple weeks. Long range charts show unsettles and much cooler .  

Posted

Sunny spells here and 24.9°C

If today stays dry, then it's a new record for consecutive dry days; 15. It would have been around 30 days if there hadn't have been those pesky showers at the beginning of the month.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Sunny spells here and 24.9°C

If today stays dry, then it's a new record for consecutive dry days; 15. It would have been around 30 days if there hadn't have been those pesky showers at the beginning of the month.

So you don't want it to rain on your parade then?

Posted

Mapantz surely your record will go today after the annoyance last time. I think I replied then saying you had a great chance into this month.

Very hazy day today but warm sun too.

By the way, guess when my first work day of the summer holidays is!!!!!! ....

IMG_2694.PNG

Posted
17 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

So you don't want it to rain on your parade then?

It can wait until tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Mapantz surely your record will go today after the annoyance last time. I think I replied then saying you had a great chance into this month.

Yeah. Shower's are forecast tomorrow evening, so 15 days looks to be about all I can manage. It just shows you how difficult it is to get a dry streak here.
I have just observed that my sunshine total for this month has surpassed 2016 and 2017, and there's still another 13 days worth to add to it. It's fair to say, it will be another month with above average sunshine! That'll be three months in a row, and that's also above an average that I derived from the Met Office official station's of Bournemouth and Swanage - remarkable!

Posted
38 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It can wait until tomorrow. 

Yeah. Shower's are forecast tomorrow evening, so 15 days looks to be about all I can manage. It just shows you how difficult it is to get a dry streak here.
I have just observed that my sunshine total for this month has surpassed 2016 and 2017, and there's still another 13 days worth to add to it. It's fair to say, it will be another month with above average sunshine! That'll be three months in a row, and that's also above an average that I derived from the Met Office official station's of Bournemouth and Swanage - remarkable!

Could that be a shower or just radar clutter, I wonder

shower.JPG