Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

On 21/05/2018 at 09:05, DiagonalRedLine said:

Howdy! 

Please continue your discussions of the weather in the South of the M4 (aka the South West and Central Southern England ) thread!

What a remarkable month it’s been so far with a lot of dry, bright weather around, although it looks as though you guys could see a few of these baby’s popping about!

0726EF21-DA86-44DA-9865-31D2FC4D8ED5.thumb.jpeg.9c553bb57bbb90a78650cc36bd75f2d9.jpeg

Ye olde thread: 

Unless you live where I do, south(ish) of Yeovil. Keep missing those beefy noisy showers n storms!

Used to live in east Devon and over 15 years had 3 thunderstorms, whilst many more thundery events were from Lyme Bay, north and east of there too! So then I move to an area thats seen plenty the last decade, and I've seen one half decent thunderstorm in 2 years! And East Devon has now seen more than its fair share lately, typical!

Lived in Bournemouth for 5 years and only saw 2 thunderstorms that count and thats an area which often gets thunderstorms when they drift up from France.

It makes me laugh when the Met office forecast map shows a real lump of thundery weather heading my way a couple days before the event. And then, that storm splits west and east mid English channel as it heads north to the South coast or it just turns east. And ofcourse, I'm in the small area that misses out 9/10.....WHY???

I seem to have the ability to stop areas from having thunderstorms if I live there!

Posted

Morning All, slightly cooler start this morning with some cloud cover keeping the temperatures reasonable. An overnight low was well appreciated and improved sleeping conditions, as many folks I have spoken to this morning commented.Channel is a little hazy this morning..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

2 hours ago, Dormouse said:

I remember in 1976 sleeping on our sun beds in the garden as it was too hot in the house!

but it’s not too hot to disturb sleep this year.

temp here 21c at present.

not much sun today, warm, very windy and a few drops of rain and black clouds.

why the warnings of danger to health?   Australia and Goa, our holiday destinations, manage ok.  Just saying!

It seems the temps have only just touching heatwave criteria, often not widespread, but of course that doesn't affect the media reporting.

To me, at least for central/southern England, I'd call this a prolonged very warm-hot spell as opposed to a full on heatwave with temps in the 30's widespread.

It's not a heatwave here atm anyway, a little more rain overnight, overcast, rain threatening, and maxima forecast to be just 18C! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All types

UK weather forecast: Summer 2018 to be 'HOTTEST EVER' as 24hour Level 3 heat alert issued and BRITAIN is about to get EVEN HOTTER next week as forecasters warn heatwave conditions could hold out all summer - making Summer 2018 one of the hottest, if not the hottest, on record. a

Government health alert across southern England was this morning ramped up to one stage below ‘national emergency’.

The level-3 heat watch advisory, issued by the Met Office with Public Health England (PHE), will remain in place until tomorrow night.

Charities and ambulance staff reiterated warnings to take extra care with extreme heat bringing a risk of serious illness or even death.

Blazing sunshine could trigger a new UK record with the mercury expected to push past 38C (100F) by mid-month.

UK weather models show thermometers widely touching 30C (86F) next week with some spots nudging 37C (98.6F).

With no sign of a cool-down for at least the next four weeks forecasters expect this to be one of, if not the, hottest summers on record.

High pressure wedged over the UK refuses to budge as Britain bakes in one of the longest heatwaves for more than 40 year  and net weather guy said to independent news paper on line I read yesterday

Edited by Tom dewey likes thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Cloudy with some sunshine..20.2c. Humidity 54%rh.

998.8 hPa.

Posted
2 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

It seems the temps have only just touching heatwave criteria, often not widespread, but of course that doesn't affect the media reporting.

To me, at least for central/southern England, I'd call this a prolonged very warm-hot spell as opposed to a full on heatwave with temps in the 30's widespread.

It's not a heatwave here atm anyway, a little more rain overnight, overcast, rain threatening, and maxima forecast to be just 18C! 

Totally agree. It's summer and we haven't had a decent one for years. If the temps could stay 26 for the foreseeable that's be great

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Just crept over 20°C, completely overcast but virtually no precipitation reaching the ground.  Fading as it comes inland and evaporating before it gets to the ground.

Posted

Ignore my last post, just enough falling to wet the paving slabs, but guess it's unlikely to penetrate the gauge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

Raining here

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Pithing down and only 17°C

OK so I am NOT going to get upset that you had 10 times the amount of rain that we had, no I'm not.....really:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A few spots if rain just now but nothing more than that here. Cloudy so far although appears to be brightening up a bit. 18.2°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
35 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

In summers like 2007 and 2012 today would have been the best it got, not the worst.

Don't forget the lovely days at the end of July 2012 and August that year had some sunny, warm days between the thunderyness, especially around the Balloon Fiesta.

Posted

21.5C and mostly cloudy here after a partly sunny start. There's also a haze almost mist filling the valley a bit which is strange. 

Posted
35 minutes ago, ThundersnowDays said:

21.5C and mostly cloudy here after a partly sunny start. There's also a haze almost mist filling the valley a bit which is strange. 

That could conceivably be smokiness from fires on Salisbury Plain with the wind more S/SE today.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

That could conceivably be smokiness from fires on Salisbury Plain with the wind more S/SE today.

I think it is that. It was coming from that direction. 

It's also raining properly for the first time in ages. 

Edited by ThundersnowDays

Posted

Proper rain here now. Quite big drops but not that heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Nice hour or two of heavy showers ☔

Fredhening everything up a bit although drying up quickly as still quite warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

No rain here. Just cloudy and cooler.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still nothing more than a few spots of rain earlier, the sun even came out for a while not long ago when it reached 20.1°C. Now it’s cloudier although still bright. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

1.6mm of rain from what has just passed through. Just cloudy now and things drying out very quickly already.