Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Just checking in on the UK Southwest Storm Chasers FB page, and it turns out there was a nice little storm over the western part of Cornwall last night (around midnight-ish)? Anyone under that at all?

So all the instability we saw floating over before sunset did end up with a storm further west!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

A friend on another forum was right under it, they live just along the coast from Newquay and said that it was a rather rude and unexpected awakening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

After a low of 14.5°C it's more of the same, blue skies from the off. 25.5°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

As yesterday, blue skies and warm but with a breeze. 24.7°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

59754E8B-C2F6-4FCF-A504-4DA5EB89D7C1.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Two days ago the high was 27.1°C, yesterday was 27.2°C and today’s high so far is also 27.2°C although could go above that as it’s rising again now after briefly dropping. 

Posted

For the third day in a row it’s the warmest day of the year here. 27.3°C. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Super_Uwe said:

Just checking in on the UK Southwest Storm Chasers FB page, and it turns out there was a nice little storm over the western part of Cornwall last night (around midnight-ish)? Anyone under that at all?

So all the instability we saw floating over before sunset did end up with a storm further west!

Yes, I was ! Woken with a start at just after 0030 by a very loud and prolonged peal of thunder here in Newquay. There were a further 3 flashes and bangs over the next few minutes but at increasing distance. A look at some of the lightning reporting sites indicated that the first strike was probably no more than a 150m from the house so no wonder it was loud. There was a brief accompanying period of rain, big drops but with no intensity, but this also stopped after 5 minutes or so. As well as the proximity of the first strike the most surprising thing was the fact there was a storm in the first place. Even when sitting outside at 11pm, other than a few stray clouds, there was no indication of anything like this happening !

• Like 1

Posted

Reached 27.8°C here this afternoon. Just had a sudden drop down to 21.7°C in next to no time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Wall to wall blue skies today, more blue than last few days. ‘Felt’ a little cooler than recent days with the breeze, but UV must of been high. Mowing a big lawn for a customer this afternoon for 2 hours on a slope facing SW has topped the tan a little. Work boots need an airing now...

Posted

28.4°C today, same as yesterday. Surprised not to have made the 30°C mark this past week.

Posted

5 days above 28c here with the only cloud yesterday in 3 different forms ; early Stratocumulus, mid afternoon small Cumulus then late evening AltCas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I was surprised how windy it got this afternoon, really gusty at times. Nevertheless, another 28C day and uninterrupted blue skies and sunshine again!

Posted

After the sudden drop in temperature earlier this evening, which was caused by a brief sea breeze after the NE'ly dropped, it's been stuck at 19.5°C for a while. 

Posted

Tomorrow's convective risk reminds me of a period back in the Summer of 2013. There was a low risk that evening, but some cloud developed to my Southwest which I kept watching, and then it became electrified. I went to the pub that evening, and it was still moving slowly towards me, with plenty of lightning, but no audible thunder. As it rolled in, a huge gust front hit! The pub's umbrellas all went up in the air, sh*t flew everywhere! And then it all went nuts with rain/thunder/lightning for about an hour. I might have to look through the radar archives, as I thought I remembered it being quite isolated. The same tomorrow night would be most welcome.

Found it! July 21st 2013. What helped me was that I was watching a new Top Gear episode that evening, so I looked up the date of the series. :D

radar_21300.300020492243679.thumb.png.9e2b031b0d72179dda127be5587b6187.png AVN_1_2013072100_1.thumb.png.598918c64aaad3d912b34938acb04877.png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Another slow start temp wise however assuming no sea breeze develops we should get to 27/28c again today.

Also a chance of a dry TS tonight, could cause problems with fires!!!

Posted

Blue skies all the way again. 24.3°C

A new monthly sunshine record after today's total.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Early low cloud dissipated very quickly after 9am. Now unbroken sunshine again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Shopped in Bath whilst cloudy at 09:00 Back in Peasedown St John. Sunny and clear 23.7c. Only 6.3mm precipitation this month.

Posted

Warming nicely with a breeze keeping things, humidity levels just below 50% with the suggestion that these will increase over the coming few days making it less pleasant. Looks like for the potential for a drop of moisture is being pulled back over France as the low sinks rather than comes ashore, but still something to play for as Mapantz eluded to yesterday, just not looking quite so promising.

Posted

We have joined the 25C+ temps over the last two days with a more limited sea breeze (one still arriving in the afternoon but having less of an effect) . My station registered 28.6C on Thursday and 28.4C yesterday.

The nights have warmed to double figures with lows of 11.4C and 11.1C so still relatively cool in the valley. A station 40m higher, about a mile west of me had 15.4C and 14.0C lows.

Currently 25.8C. 

I'm off to Reading this afternoon, so there will likely be thunderstorms down here tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Only had around 10% of the avg rainfall this month! Show by the grass in the garden and the fields over Bath going yellow and crispy.

• Like 1