Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Absolute pants weather today of the very highest order! Take me back to my holidays 

Posted

We had a brief shower at about 8:40 which briefly dampened the tarmac! 

Sunny intervals now and breezy from the NW, been a while since that has happened. Temp 18.2C from a low of 14.7C.

Relatively normal conditions over the next week or so but it does seem like we're in quite a dry spell. 0.2mm this month and 16mm in the last 33 days here.
The forecasts/models don't show much sign of rain down here apart from some showers possible on Saturday.

Posted
24 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Absolute pants weather today of the very highest order! Take me back to my holidays 

Never fear @karlos1983 , normal service should be resumed in the next couple of hours. Albeit, maybe a bit breezy. ?️

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Drought over! 1mm of rain this morning.

Gusting to 32mph. Sun trying to break through. Currently 18.3°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Warming up now as the sun begins to come out, 19.7°C. A whopping 0.2mm last night bringing the total for the month to an impressive 0.4mm.  

Posted

Similar to Matt on the rainfall with 0.3mm from the drizzle this morning, plants welcomed it but could really do with a drop more.

Temperature has risen surprisingly quick here. Up to 22C now and 3/4C higher than all the stations around us i.e. Southampton, Yeovil etc. Certainly felt warmer than expected when I was outside a few minutes ago.

Posted

Yes, glorious now. It's weird seeing the clouds going the other way after such a long period from the opposite directions.

Posted

OK so in an effort to reduce directional variations with my anemometer, I've introduced some dynamic braking/damping. Cheeky sod, keeps perching on one of my two anemometers. ...

IMG-20180614-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

0.6mm this morning, now warm, sunny and still breezy, but nothing exceptional.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Started off grim, started clearing around noon, now clear and warm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Nice afternoon here despite the breeze, lots of sunshine and feeling quite warm at 22C.

Posted

A decent afternoon here with a maximum of 21.5 in good sunny spells.

Now for the big question for the NetWx hive mind: our street party (Reading, RG1) is on Saturday and due to start at 1.00 (yes, we've chosen a dodgy day for weather but we had to book the road closure in April). My best guess right now is overcast, cool and rather blustery with the chance of early light showers and possibly some more persistent rain after 3pm - any more views? And is anyone else unfortunate enough to be organising an outdoor event on Saturday afternoon?

Posted
25 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Now for the big question .... any more views?

Stargazer ; Saturday's prospects are improving IMO. It's a pretty slack low pressure, I think it might start overcast then brighten up to sunshine and showers. 

Posted

Thanks, Andy - GFS 12z precipitation chart shows rain arriving around 3pm, UKMO fax shows the cold front just to the east of us at 12pm. If it's the latter we might just some sunshine.

I'm taking the BBC/MeteoGroup forecast with a pinch of salt at the moment - it shows light rain at 2 and 3pm but the hourly precipitation risk peaking at around 25% in the morning.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

I was very sad this morning remembering what Atlantic weather brought us, but has come back to be sunny this afternoon and into the near future after the weekend!

P.S. A gardening thing: If any of you know what I'm talking about, there are rosemary beetles eating the lavender in the garden, how should I get rid?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Very nice afternoon and evening here reaching 22.5°C earlier. Still quite warm now at 19.6°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

Basically halfway through june now with only 1.6mm of rainfall, the average for the whole of June is around 60mm!

Posted
28 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

Basically halfway through june now with only 1.6mm of rainfall, the average for the whole of June is around 60mm!

I can beat that, 0.4mm here. Heading towards being the driest month I've recorded. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I can beat that, 0.4mm here. Heading towards being the driest month I've recorded. 

Wow! That's crazy.

• Like 1

Posted

Impressive low rainfall stats, unfortunately I'm at 10mm of which 9mm came on Friday 1st in a half hour downpour! Half a mm last Saturday late pm and again this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

At a measly 2mm here for the month. Funnily enough, the only other occurrence of rain was last Thursday from that showery trough.

Posted
16 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Stargazer ; Saturday's prospects are improving IMO. It's a pretty slack low pressure, I think it might start overcast then brighten up to sunshine and showers. 

UKMO and GFS both seem to be delaying that front tomorrow, and it looks pretty straggly and slow-moving. GFS 06z is now not showing any significant rainfall at all in this area. Fingers crossed (I've got the afternoon off today and am going to be out picking up as many gazebos as I can get!)

Rainfall here in Reading (according to the university's official site http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/weatherdata/Reading_monthly_summaries.html) currently stands at 6mm for June - probably not record-breaking but certainly very dry. Most of the rainfall fell on the 3rd.

Posted

Sunny spells and 19.3°C 

Various models show no rain here tomorrow, despite South Today harping on about thundery showers.