Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
Just now, Frosty hollows said:

Potatoes grow very well on boggy Irish soil

Well that is reassuring, thanks. Shame we are on blight watch also. ..

Posted
Just now, EllyTech said:

Twister: there is a storm moving into North of here. Should get a few flash bangs soon.

Fab Thanks ☈

Posted
1 minute ago, bathweatherwatcher said:

Oxford, where most of the heavy rain is centred isn’t in the Amber warning area 

I'm in the amber warning area

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
12 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

its a 2 day thing last time I looked! 

I think you need to have another look..

22 hours for the yellow warning and 14 hours for the amber warning.

1975945059_2018-05-31(1).thumb.png.91bdd53a528159074ab8ef2374a1bd21.png 2018-05-31.thumb.png.da349147cec61fa7559aba792592a4ab.png

re expecting immediate impact; there will be no impact here. No models show anything for tonight, for the majority of the amber warning.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I think you need to have another look..

22 hours for the yellow warning and 14 hours for the amber warning.

1975945059_2018-05-31(1).thumb.png.91bdd53a528159074ab8ef2374a1bd21.png 2018-05-31.thumb.png.da349147cec61fa7559aba792592a4ab.png

re expecting immediate impact; there will be no impact here. No models show anything for tonight, for the majority of the amber warning.

Two day amber warning was issued just before lunchtime today. Not arguing any more. Its a two day warning.

And, you know very well that with convective weather, the exact location of storms cannot be accurate predicted. The MetO did their best to warn the public and that is what they are there for.

Edited by EllyTech

Posted

I just want to iterate that the Met Office have done a great job - forecasting thunderstorms is tough. However, take a look at the past couple of days.. there needed to be an amber warning put in place around the Kent area, and parts of the Midlands - it never happened. Today and amber warning get's issued for rain, with the use of 'severe thunderstorms' in an area that has seen the least amount of rainfall from this whole saga and the majority of the heavy rain and lighting is on the periphery of the amber warning. The amber warning could be justified in a few spots, but not such a large area that they covered - just a yellow warning was suitable.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

Two day amber warning was issued just before lunchtime today. Not arguing any more. Its a two day warning.

How is it a two day warning? LOL it's 14 hours!

To help you out; https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-05-31

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I just want to iterate that the Met Office have done a great job - forecasting thunderstorms is tough. However, take a look at the past couple of days.. there needed to be an amber warning put in place around the Kent area, and parts of the Midlands - it never happened. Today and amber warning get's issued for rain, with the use of 'severe thunderstorms' in an area that has seen the least amount of rainfall from this whole saga and the majority of the heavy rain and lighting is on the periphery of the amber warning. The amber warning could be justified in a few spots, but not such a large area that they covered - just a yellow warning was suitable.

Well, estofex was having non of the severe yesterday. Today it give level 1 for excessive rain. Rain is damaging to infrastructure... believe me, since 2007 floods, I never underestimate the power of water.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

How is it a two day warning? LOL it's 14 hours!

Did you look at 12 noon today?

Posted
Just now, Frosty hollows said:

Imby the amber was justified.  My street is impassable  

20180531_210600.jpg

Hope the rivers can take it away Frosty.

Posted
Just now, EllyTech said:

Did you look at 12 noon today?

What's that got to do with it? Look at the times it is valid for 16:00 today until 6am tomorrow - 14 hours

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

What's that got to do with it? Look at the times it is valid for 16:00 today until 6am tomorrow - 14 hours

The yellow was amber earlier today.

Posted
Just now, EllyTech said:

The yellow was amber earlier today.

Yellow was valid from 11am today until 9am tomorrow. That's 22 hours. You're just looking at the days and seeing a warning on them and not the time's they're valid from, aren't you? lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Frosty hollows said:

Imby the amber was justified.  My street is impassable  

20180531_210600.jpg

Indeed, Frosty...I had a 'feeble wee thunderstorm' on Sunday afternoon, or so I thought: a half mile outside Beccles and the road was under water. Such is the hit-and-miss nature of thunderstorms!

• Like 1

Posted

I apologise that the only storm in our region happens to be 5 miles ENE of me at this time. It isn't pleasant though, let me tell you. Night all.

So the next worry, with the forecast as it is, tomorrow again could be much poorer than expected! Sea fog will lap against the south almost all day although hopefully the air will be a touch drier!

Posted

Well wether it was for 14 hours, 22 hours or 48 hours, on this occasion it’s not turned out to be a good warning when most of the area it covers is either dry or only seeing light rain. A temporary cloud burst that brings a short period of very heavy rain to a small area with flash flooding does not justify an Amber warning, a yellow warning covers that eventuality.

I am saying this because I want it to mean something when the Met Office do issue an Amber warning so people do take notice and are prepared. For six days I’ve been under a yellow warning for storms either in Dorset or in Wiltshire and have seen nothing but a bit of occasional heavy rain during the night. Keep issuing warnings for weather that doesn’t happen and people will ignore them. I’m also fed up with the media wetting themselves every time a yellow warning is issued as well. Can’t blame the Met for the media’s hyperbole though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

The amber warning should have been further east and not over such a widespread area. For example, Storm Emma was a widespread storm/snow event and the whole of the amber area saw heavy snow, blizzards and severe weather. It just doesn't seem right that we had so much snow under an amber warning just under 3 months ago to only seeing 30 minutes of moderate rain today. But can't blame them, forecasting is very difficult and I think everyone was caught out this time. :( Maybe next time.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm not the only person who's been affected.  There will be plenty of people needing assistance from the fire services across Berks/ Oxon/Wilts from the emergency services  ( the warnings are also to help them plan too). Just because something didn't happen to you doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• Like 1