Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
Just now, Nights King said:

I got really excited when i noticed the warning 

So did I. 

Posted

Met office are still going for severe thunderstorms into the evening and overnight lasting till the early hours just heavy rain with a bit of thunder so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
29 minutes ago, Nights King said:

So we have an amber and i see no real storms for west country? am i missing something? other than the storms that is. 

I've been in almost every warning since it all began, and i've seen nowt! lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Got fog here now. Not that I’m expecting anything but I can’t even see the sky. Temperaturw responding by plummeting to 14.7°C. 

Posted

I pretty much ignore yellow warnings these days, if nothing comes of this Amber warning I might start ignoring them as well. Based on this, many rail passengers in warning area are having their trains delayed or cancelled owing to Network Rail imposing speed restrictions. If I was travelling by train this evening I’d be very annoyed.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Jayfromcardiff said:

Load of rubbish lol, clouds breaking now. Met office covering themselves again.

Then a nanny state yellow warning would have sufficed. Issuing an Amber warning really raises the bar. Still, let’s see if something major turns up over night, where it’s coming from I don’t know.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Load of rubbish lol, clouds breaking now. Met office covering themselves again.

Well, just playing the advocate here... you need good space between cells to make for a good storm cell. Just thought I would point out that you'll often see bright sunshine between very potent storm cells. Not saying that is what is happening tonight, but don't let that fool you in the future when there is a level 1 severe out.

Posted
1 minute ago, bathweatherwatcher said:

Then a nanny state yellow warning would have sufficed. Issuing an Amber warning really raises the bar. Still, let’s see if something major turns up over night, where it’s coming from I don’t know.

isn't it like, a two day thing? So early in the warning time zone yet.

Posted
7 minutes ago, bathweatherwatcher said:

I pretty much ignore yellow warnings these days, if nothing comes of this Amber warning I might start ignoring them as well. Based on this, many rail passengers in warning area are having their trains delayed or cancelled owing to Network Rail imposing speed restrictions. If I was travelling by train this evening I’d be very annoyed.

Sorry, but Didcot have had some flash flooding this afternoon and under another torrential downpour.  Given how much rain is falling so quickly the weather warning was fully justified. It may not be particularly wet where you are, but further up the line there are problems and that's what's causing your train delays (and my flooded street)

• Like 1

Posted

This Met Office warning bashing gets me riled! Some places have had conditions applicable to the warning, never did it say everywhere would get hit! It is impossible to pinpoint exactly where storms/torrential rain will occur.

Warminster had over 15mm in about half an hour this afternoon, from a torrential downpour that developed about 5 miles to the SE then weakened about 5 miles to the NW, very localised and absolutely awful conditions for half an hour. I can well imagine some places have had an hour plus of those conditions, do the maths for how much rain that could equate to!

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

This Met Office warning bashing gets me riled! Some places have had conditions applicable to the warning, never did it say everywhere would get hit! It is impossible to pinpoint exactly where storms/torrential rain will occur.

Warminster had over 15mm in about half an hour this afternoon, from a torrential downpour that developed about 5 miles to the SE then weakened about 5 miles to the NW, very localised and absolutely awful conditions for half an hour. I can well imagine some places have had an hour plus of those conditions, do the maths for how much rain that could equate to!

Not to mention, that my Potatoes are now growing in a bog once more. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
4 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Sorry, but Didcot have had some flash flooding this afternoon and under another torrential downpour.  Given how much rain is falling so quickly the weather warning was fully justified. It may not be particularly wet where you are, but further up the line there are problems and that's what's causing your train delays (and my flooded street)

I think the amber warning should have been placed in a line from around Reading to Worcester including places like Oxfordshire, mainly because they have had more heavy rain and also because the places under the warning atm haven't got enough rain to fufill the amber warning. But I suppose that thunderstorms are incredibly hard to forecast the exact location.

Edited by Leon1

Posted
1 minute ago, Andy Bown said:

They have been great up until today's amber warning. The amber warning was also covering an area that has seen the least amount of rain since it all began, but it seems it was over the top. What else is interesting, is that last night's Euro 4 model showed precip in the exact places we're seeing it now, so it seemed the Met Office went against their own model and that proved to be wrong in terms of amber warnings.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

I think the amber warning should have been placed in a line from around Reading to Worcester including places like Oxfordshire because the places under the warning atm haven't got enough rain to fufill the amber warning.

Talk about the 'instant generation'. This warning is 48hr long and we are only just over 2 and a half hours into it! 

Posted
Just now, EllyTech said:

Talk about the 'instant generation'. This warning is 48hr long and we are only just over 2 and a half hours into it! 

Amber warning from 1600 Thurs to 0600 Fri.

Posted
1 minute ago, EllyTech said:

I didn't see any 48 hour warnings? Yellow = 11am today until 9am tomorrow. Amber warning was from 4pm today until 6am tomorrow.

Posted

I have the utmost respect for the Met Office, best in the business IMHO. Call it yellow warning fatigue every day for the past 6 Days for a bit of occasional heavy rain and no storms.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Exactly. This afternoon there was a torrential downpour in Didcot that's caused flooding on the train line, but 5 miles away I missed all of it. I've  now got a massive downpour here affecting a much larger area, but I dare say there's someone a few miles up the road has just got clag

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I didn't see any 48 hour warnings? Yellow = 11am today until 9am tomorrow. Amber warning was from 4pm today until 6am tomorrow.

its a 2 day thing last time I looked! And anyway, you too... the clock clicks into the warned time and some people expect immediate impact. Its almost flooding my street here. The drains are struggling and there is more to come. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A warning for fog would’ve been more appropriate for here in the end . Thickest fog I’ve seen for a while, can’t see the end of the road.

Edited by matt111
  • Thanks 1