Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

oh what a surprise, that line of storms stretching towards bristol dies a quick death the moment it starts to move towards me, and the rain dies away as well, leaving just uniform grey skies yet again.....honestly can't believe how the crap the weather has been here, whereas areas not a million miles away bathe in the sun and see cracking storms at night, we see nothing but cloud and drizzle.......weekend plans have been totally ruined, family birthday bbq forced to be cancelled..... 'kin great

Yep, same here, really haven't done very well this weekend. 

I think all storms are supposed to be North of here this afternoon. As long as the sun comes out, and looking at sat24, it should do in the next hour so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Disappointing in terms of storms over night, all the action passed either to the south west or north east of me, oh well, roll on the next chance. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

oh what a surprise, that line of storms stretching towards bristol dies a quick death the moment it starts to move towards me, and the rain dies away as well, leaving just uniform grey skies yet again.....honestly can't believe how the crap the weather has been here, whereas areas not a million miles away bathe in the sun and see cracking storms at night, we see nothing but cloud and drizzle.......weekend plans have been totally ruined, family birthday bbq forced to be cancelled..... 'kin great

Don’t read the Netweather summary then - amidst the ‘didn’t everyone love all the wonderful storms’ commentary it seems to be saying our chances are now on the wane - despite seeing nothing noteworthy over the course of almost a week now.

During the week ‘the risk shifts northwards’.

Ummm, what risk was that then? I honestly reckon I could go and fly a kite with a copper wire whilst drinking petroleum and I think I would be ok today.

Also I really don’t think the storms last night were anything special from watching the videos. A few discreet cells here and there but the pulse nature and elevation of it all isn’t a patch on the big storms we have in summer.

Thats not to say people didn’t enjoy them - to the contrary lots of happy souls on here which is great - but it’s just not looking too good now for us - missing out time and time again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

One crack of thunder this morning. Torrential rain which resulted in 11.6mm in an hour. 7mm of that was in 15mins or so. 

Currently 20.2°C with sunny spells. Dew point 17.4°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
24 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Don’t read the Netweather summary then - amidst the ‘didn’t everyone love all the wonderful storms’ commentary it seems to be saying our chances are now on the wane - despite seeing nothing noteworthy over the course of almost a week now.

During the week ‘the risk shifts northwards’.

Ummm, what risk was that then? I honestly reckon I could go and fly a kite with a copper wire whilst drinking petroleum and I think I would be ok today.

Also I really don’t think the storms last night were anything special from watching the videos. A few discreet cells here and there but the pulse nature and elevation of it all isn’t a patch on the big storms we have in summer.

Thats not to say people didn’t enjoy them - to the contrary lots of happy souls on here which is great - but it’s just not looking too good now for us - missing out time and time again

aye........and look at the line of thundery stuff start to explode as it moves away

Posted

Temps very pegged back today. Feels humid indoors. Might venture out in a bit..

Temp 16C  Humidity 86%  Dewpoint 14C

Posted

... funny how radar completely clears the rain away after noon lol. That rain forecast is either in error or, GFS is. Well, we know that home grown storms just pop up out of the blue. All to play for this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
5 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

... funny how radar completely clears the rain away after noon lol. That rain forecast is either in error or, GFS is. Well, we know that home grown storms just pop up out of the blue. All to play for this afternoon.

So the GFS says thunderstorms are going to appear in the afternoon but normal forecasters say sunny?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

1.8mm this morning from a brief heavy shower with what I think was a faint rumble. Hazy now and still feels very humid. 19.6°C. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Leon1 said:

So the GFS says thunderstorms are going to appear in the afternoon but normal forecasters say sunny?

It is possible to be Sunny and stormy... storm cells like a bit of clear air between them, don't t they?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
Just now, EllyTech said:

It is possible to be Sunny and stormy... storm cells like a bit of clear air between them, don't t they?

True...

Posted

So, here's something I almost forgot and also had dispelled by a very knowledgeable wx man years ago... but still have faith its true: The storm cell to my South has been moving up the Bristol Channel, when this happens, the storm gets stuck inside the Cotswold hills and keeps regenerating for hours. Interested to see if this happens (its an old family tale). 

• Like 1

Posted

We've had almost two hours of heavy rain with thunder and lighting and some hail. Only 15c but humid.

Can't wait for the sun to warm things up now!

• Like 1

Posted

Sferics just to my SE now. There has been/is a bit of back building happening.

Edited by EllyTech

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

One crack of thunder this morning. Torrential rain which resulted in 11.6mm in an hour. 7mm of that was in 15mins or so. 

Currently 20.2°C with sunny spells. Dew point 17.4°C

That one really active cell went right over the top of you, we were slightly to the right of it so only picked up 5mm, and Matt was miles off on this one picking up a mere 1.8mm. That damn micro climate of yours..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
15 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

That one really active cell went right over the top of you, we were slightly to the right of it so only picked up 5mm, and Matt was miles off on this one picking up a mere 1.8mm. That damn micro climate of yours..

Radar shows pretty much what rain rate I recorded too. 90.8 mm/hr

RainDay.thumb.png.6f7ac71024bf88f473a44d5d6db98a19.png

2018-05-27.thumb.png.0a263b41543cb073fe224e9ac136726c.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Feels warmer than yesterday and apparently it’s cooler than yesterday here in Weymouth. That dew point and humidity rate is really doing things

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Feels warmer than yesterday and apparently it’s cooler than yesterday here in Weymouth. That dew point and humidity rate is really doing things

It does here too although that could be because the haze has finally cleared to leave blue skies which we didn’t have yesterday. 20.7°C. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Not sure how, temps and humidity a mile down! I’m down in Christchurch at the moment and it feels decidedly fresh comparing against yesterday!