Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 21/05/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There is an absolute ton of false strikes on the ATD's tonight. I was overlaying it with the rain radar, and many appeared where there were no cells. Even two strikes right over me.. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Temperature dropped down to 18.3°C while that storm was passing which it still is now but it doesn't really feel any different. Still very warm and humid. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

There is an absolute ton of false strikes on the ATD's tonight. I was overlaying it with the rain radar, and many appeared where there were no cells. Even two strikes right over me.. lol

Lightning can strike miles from a cell. edit. but if you didn't get any then I guess the station is in error

Edited by EllyTech

Posted
2 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

Lightning can strike miles from a cell.

I know this.. but I have not had two strikes over me. And seeing as most of the storms are elevated, the margin for error rapidly increases.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I saw one earlier this evening just north of Winchester which if it was a true strike would've been basically on top of where I was. In truth the sky above was bright and there certainly weren't any storms nearby. 

Edited by matt111

Posted

Virtually non stop strobe lightning from the anvil which is now almost overhead and hearing constant thunder from within the storm.

Posted
Just now, EllyTech said:

I wonder the reasons for the errors?

A weak stroke of lighting in one place can result in ATD's creating a strong stroke of lightning in a completely different place. A common occurrence with ground based detectors.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

A weak stroke of lighting in one place can result in ATD's creating a strong stroke of lightning in a completely different place. A common occurrence with ground based detectors.

Its nice to go on people's reports then. Thanks.

Posted
Just now, EllyTech said:

Its nice to go on people's reports then. Thanks.

That\s what makes this place so great. ☺️

Posted
Just now, matt111 said:

That\s what makes this place so great. ☺️

I love these times, when the weather affects a large swathe of our region.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, EllyTech said:

I love these times, when the weather affects a large swathe of our region.

Yes we've been lucky the last few months with 2 snow events in March followed by last months storms and now tonight.

Posted

I'm quite underwhelmed with the lack of storm activity, if i'm honest. I was in the warmest place in the country, conditions looked rife, but cells that were heading this way just fell apart and faded away - very surprised.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I'm quite underwhelmed with the lack of storm activity, if i'm honest. I was in the warmest place in the country, conditions looked rife, but cells that were heading this way just fell apart and faded away - very surprised.

You seem to be jinxed, Mapantz. Happened last time too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Can see flashes way off in the distance to my south east. 

Posted

There is a train of cells from London and the SE pointing at me. But I'd have to stay up half the night to see if they don't just swoop to my NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

yes, it's been crap....naff all here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

Flashes to the left of me, lightning to my right............ here I am, stuck in the middle of BUGGER ALL!!!

All the flashes and no thunder

Posted

Yet again the storm dome held secure over us as the split in motion pushed one area westwards and the other NW so we sat in the middle with hardly any rainfall. Sat on the over cliff watching the cell disappear up and over asouthampton, Matt you must have caught that lot. Ah well, maybe another night.

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

Matt you must have caught that lot. 

Sort of, a few loud rumbles and a minute or so of heavy rain but otherwise it was too far east even for here. Decent show though. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The area of activity that went up over Southampton was quite strong with a good amount of CG and CC going on as we watched it fade away from the east over cliff view point.

Posted

Amongst all the fun this evening I didn't mention it reached 26.1°C here making it the warmest day of the year so far. 

• Like 1