Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find an ironic observation that people who don't receive severe weather in their very own back yard are the ones who complain about unwarranted met office warnings...... The met office amber wa

130 photos taken this evening. Have attached the ones I consider decent enough to share. Apologies for some of the scratches and marks on the pictures; my camera body needs a damn good clean.  Th

Hi guys, First post here. Hope you enjoy. Here's the view in Brighton looking south east a moment ago. No processing/filtering on this image either.

Posted Images

Just after a bit of knowledge here: we have reasonable and interesting convection, temp currently 24.5 C, dewpoint 18 and humidity 67%. So what are the other key factors to watch out for in order for thunder/lightning to be more (or less) likely. Wind BTW is currently 64 degrees ENE. 

Any advice would be super ?

Edited by Mizzle
12 minutes ago, Alderc said:

There was never really a risk further inland, it was always dependant on where convergence would meet.

All the risk maps I’ve seen had a box for the potential for brief funnel producing storms across the central areas of Surrey - to some degree. I think convergence was expected to kick off showers that would then continue inland a little way.

Either way I agree with you at this point we shouldnt expect anything in those areas now, unless the Sussex cells get started and drift this way.

This whole area is a notorious hotspot for difficulty starting storms up - we do well only a handful of times every couple of years but when we do, it goes OFF! ?

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Seems to be growing very rapidly easy of here. Breeze picking up as well although still offshore. 

Edited by matt111

As you can see the showers popping near Southampton have nothing to sustain them, to maturity its taking about 15minutes then they die a rapid death.