Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Supacell

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

Recommended Posts

That was amazing. If there wasn't a tree line I probably would of seen some distant lightning. 

So what's everyone's predictions for tomorrow? 

I'm not even going to bother with the forecasts tomorrow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The East has Ceased said:

Where lol? Nothing here in Thundersley, had 2 distant rumbles last night

I was watching the lightning in the storm over High Wycombe way. The lightning was very frequent, even though I’m about 60 miles away. It could be seen all over South Eastern England. If you’d looked towards the west about an hour ago you would have seen it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I was watching the lightning in the storm over High Wycombe way. The lightning was very frequent, even though I’m about 60 miles away. It could be seen all over South Eastern England. If you’d looked towards the west about an hour ago you would have seen it. 

Damn, I wish I could have, I have no line of sight out west due to houses and trees 😣 Wish I had been in the thread earlier now! Would've walked into the park for a better view if I'd known the storm was visible from this distance, it looked very impressive on radar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paul R said:

130 photos taken this evening. Have attached the ones I consider decent enough to share. Apologies for some of the scratches and marks on the pictures; my camera body needs a damn good clean. 

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4260.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4265.JPG

Wow, absolutely amazing pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Wow, absolutely amazing pictures.

Thankyou. Given my camera was on the kitchen windowsill, stacked up on two boxes of cat worming treatment, a spatula and a coaster just to get it to the right angle, and the storm was 40-50 miles away, I think I did ok. Still need to give the camera a good clean though. 

Edited by Paul R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bangers & Flash said:

 

Channel is alive again elevated as seen on radar, looks to be a transfer of energy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like some thundery showers are slowly moving toward the S and SE. Apparently there was a strike near off the coast of Hastings way, can anyone confirm or is it false

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance of something thundery happening here? seems to be kinda moving towards my direction 

BAF090DA-905A-48A2-BBCF-ECE7685CC932.jpeg

Edited by JK1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Looks like some thundery showers are slowly moving toward the S and SE. Apparently there was a strike near off the coast of Hastings way, can anyone confirm or is it false

507137021_2018-05-27(7).thumb.png.8f664d532543f14812215b9a08f1eaf0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Distant flash in the channel, as seen from Bexhill!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like something has erupted in spectacular style over Amiens in Northern France. I assume we've got no dibs on that though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SarahWxm said:

Quick shot of the Aylesbury storm From Chiswick Park. 

E88FAF9B-BC5B-4850-8AAD-A09979692C8C.jpeg

Great shot, especially with the train pulling out as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flashes becoming more frequent; As was the case last night, Lightning Maps is struggling to pick up most of the lightning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Great shot, especially with the train pulling out as well 

Cheers. Yeah I thought it added to it having the train pulling out. Took a 10 min video as well but the screen shots won’t upload as good big file sizes. Btw for those in Aylesbury - was the thunder loud? Cos I couldn’t hear anything where I am. Just the lightning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out chasing again, first heading in the direction of Cannock. Soon after I arrived a thunderstorm burst into life and was producing torrential rain, hail and constant thunder. At this stage the lightning was barely visible but there was a constant thundering overhead. I then headed to Wolverhampton and points west where I was eventually able to view the storm from outside the rain sheets. There were frequent flashes of lightning and lots of thunder. Worth noting that some of the rain was incredible whilst under the storm and roads were awash with water.

Then came the fun part (or not). I had moved away from the major roads and into the minor roads to the west of the city. It started to become apparent that every route had become blocked by flooding. In the end I got through but some were not so lucky with plenty of motorists stuck in floodwaters.

I was then able to observe some more lightning and thunder from a distance before heading home. By now the storm seemed to be producing a higher percentage of CG's than earlier but the lightning was not of the same frequency.

That was not it though as I was able to chase whilst returning home. I eventually caught up with and core punched a cell moving up towards Derby. The rain was once again intense with some lightning too and it was very dark considering the sun had not began to set yet.

By the time I reached Belper it was dry but a very ominous storm cloud was moving in. This was the same cell I had driven through in Derby. As it moved closer it became obvious it was missing to my west and so I took a slight detour on the way home towards the village of Hulland Ward to the west of Belper. From here I was able to watch the storm drop some infrequent but incredible CG's with gun shot thunder that scared the sheep in the fields and set off a car alarm. This appeared to be the storms last hurrah before fading away.

I have had two action packed days of chasing and seen some amazing storms. I have had only 3 hours sleep since Saturday morning and am now ready to collapse, but it has been worth it.

Southern England tomorrow? 😂

Edited by Supacell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very potent cell has got going over NE France, our Kentish fellows may well be spoilt yet again. But what a magnificent spell of weather this is. This is the gift setup that just keeps on giving. The most ideal we can just about get in this country (warm slack flow all the way from Iberia, gets stewed up further over the French mainland and slams the juice into the S/SE and then further propelled Northwards). The only missing ingredient perhaps is Windshear, in order to prolong the storms longevity and increase its track. Otherwise, perfect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Southern England tomorrow? 😂

Come on down!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Very potent cell has got going over NE France, our Kentish fellows may well be spoilt yet again. But what a magnificent spell of weather this is. This is the gift setup that just keeps on giving. The most ideal we can just about get in this country (warm slack flow all the way from Iberia, gets stewed up further over the French mainland and slams the juice into the S/SE and then further propelled Northwards). The only missing ingredient perhaps is Windshear, in order to prolong the storms longevity and increase its track. Otherwise, perfect. 

Still yet to have storms in our end but UK as a whole especially South has had a great start to the storm season, and to think it's only May. If we keep getting hot spells in June and July hopefully the majority of us will be in for some goodens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Went out chasing again, first heading in the direction of Cannock. Soon after I arrived a thunderstorm burst into life and was producing torrential rain, hail and constant thunder. At this stage the lightning was barely visible but there was a constant thundering overhead. I then headed to Wolverhampton and points west where I was eventually able to view the storm from outside the rain sheets. There were frequent flashes of lightning and lots of thunder. Worth noting that some of the rain was incredible whilst under the storm and roads were awash with water.

Then came the fun part (or not). I had moved away from the major roads and into the minor roads to the west of the city. It started to become apparent that every route had become blocked by flooding. In the end I got through but some were not so lucky with plenty of motorists stuck in floodwaters.

I was then able to observe some more lightning and thunder from a distance before heading home. By now the storm seemed to be producing a higher percentage of CG's than earlier but the lightning was not of the same frequency.

That was not it though as I was able to chase whilst returning home. I eventually caught up with and core punched a cell moving up towards Derby. The rain was once again intense with some lightning too and it was very dark considering the sun had not began to set yet.

By the time I reached Belper it was dry but a very ominous storm cloud was moving in. This was the same cell I had driven through in Derby. As it moved closer it became obvious it was missing to my west and so I took a slight detour on the way home towards the village of Hulland Ward to the west of Belper. From here I was able to watch the storm drop some infrequent but incredible CG's with gun shot thunder that scared the sheep in the fields and set off a car alarm. This appeared to be the storms last hurrah before fading away.

I have had two action packed days of chasing and seen some amazing storms. I have had only 3 hours sleep since Saturday morning and am now ready to collapse, but it has been worth it.

Southern England tomorrow? 😂

Ha! I chased up to Kenilworth today and then followed the weird amazing weird back building M1 monster back down to London - it’s like we did opposites 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...