Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Supacell

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

1 minute ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Its definitely moving south because 30 minutes ago the southern extent was Aylesbury now its next to high Wycombe.

I think the worst of it has moved south from Northampton for now.

Even it was headed north it wouldn't get near Retford or Lincolnshire unfortunately.

This is a confusing storm because that intense part shows south movement but the northern part shows north movement. 

Yes defo moving South. Can see it doing so from harrow. Amazing lightning show. Constant cloud to cloud fork 

Next saturday, Yes please!

image.thumb.png.d913cb5f28300ef2be2366a4c567f418.png

Tomorrow however looks good for the south and southwest.

image.thumb.png.8157c94d430f8b7b29c0f78c92401963.png

• Like 2

pathetic , the North west , its all south and midlands again , bit galling when we were one of the main areas , what is wrong here at all ? give up now

Just now, IanR said:

pathetic , the North west , its all south and midlands again , bit galling when we were one of the main areas , what is wrong here at all ? give up now

Jeez its just the weather mate, you win some you lose some...

• Like 1

Am watching the NW London storm from the Kent coast. Incredible 

I'm confused as to where this storm is actually going. North and South of the storm tell different stories. 

Edited by Swansonson69

As I look out I have clear skies above me, I can see the Moon and another planet all above a storm with frequent lightning about 60 miles away! 

• Like 3

Tornado (or similar) reported near Aylesbury - a friend of mine said she drove through it, things flying everywhere, roof ripped off Morrisons truck.

• Like 1

Just now, Swansonson69 said:

I can see a hook on radar on the storm indicating a possible tornado forming. 

Can anyone else see it?

This is not a supercell, it’s probably a new updraft.

Pretty amazing view from my bedroom window of the storm. Frequent lightning and (as said above) some bright planet above. I'm concerned for areas stuck underneath those purple colours, though, that's got to be some serious rainfall accumulation. Could be a fauly station, but a station in Wendover said precip accumaltion is 18.8cm (188mm!). Hope everyone is safe and no damage occurs, but I would of thought roads are submerged right now.

15 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Its definitely moving south because 30 minutes ago the southern extent was Aylesbury now its next to high Wycombe.

I think the worst of it has moved south from Northampton for now.

Even it was headed north it wouldn't get near Retford or Lincolnshire unfortunately.

The out flow is moving north east, the main storm is going south, as far as I can make out.

Or maybe the stuff moving northeast are dying bits of storm and the storm is rebuilding on the out flow like last night.

getting flashes from a hundred miles away on sussex coast 

So jealous right now, I'm upstairs in my house on the outskirts of Gloucester and can see the flickering lightning from a thunderhead 50 plus miles away! The kids are mesmerized 

Easiest lightning photography I've ever done. The long distance has meant experimenting a little more but have some decent photos of lit up clouds and all. 

3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

The out flow is moving north east, the main storm is going south, as far as I can make out.

Or maybe the stuff moving northeast are dying bits of storm and the storm is rebuilding on the out flow like last night.

That's what I'm seeing. 

I can see lightning to the NW of here. Am I really seeing that storm from here? I must be at least 70 miles away. 

1 minute ago, Swansonson69 said:

That's what I'm seeing. 

Outflow? Not 100% familiar with these terms