Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 19th May 2018 onwards

My footage of last night's to early morning lightning has finally been uploaded. I did have multiple parts from the beginning of the electrical activity starting up to the main event over my location but decided to just upload the main event as its the best one. I hope you guys enjoy it ?

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 5
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find an ironic observation that people who don't receive severe weather in their very own back yard are the ones who complain about unwarranted met office warnings...... The met office amber wa

130 photos taken this evening. Have attached the ones I consider decent enough to share. Apologies for some of the scratches and marks on the pictures; my camera body needs a damn good clean.  Th

Hi guys, First post here. Hope you enjoy. Here's the view in Brighton looking south east a moment ago. No processing/filtering on this image either.

Posted Images

Cell just popped up near to Matlock that went from nothing to moderate rainfall in the space of 1-frame on the Radar, helped by uplifting from the Pennines aswell as the temps. Hopefully it keeps getting stronger as it's a sure head-on direction to where I am.

3 minutes ago, Chris K said:

Some showers seem to be forming across some parts of SW & C/S England on radar. Most likely these will remain isolated in this area, but could chuck out a couple of surprise thundery showers as the afternoon progresses.

I don't know about that because I see a line formation going from Chester to those showers just off the south east coast. 

2 minutes ago, Swansonson69 said:

I don't know about that because I see a line formation going from Chester to those showers just off the south east coast. 

That band would be where I would favour main activity later. I was more on about isolated surface based storm risk in the SW quadrant of the UK.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Cell just popped up near to Matlock that went from nothing to moderate rainfall in the space of 1-frame on the Radar, helped by uplifting from the Pennines aswell as the temps. Hopefully it keeps getting stronger as it's a sure head-on direction to where I am.

Yes,just took a photo of it and has a smudgy top so def a cell,infact there are towers growing all along to my south and southeast.

DSC01909.thumb.JPG.bde3719f493750178a0d1d9793b6d060.JPG

• Like 1

27.2°C now. Crosby is officially the warmest place in Britain currently. 

Sferics popping up to my south and east. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, Chris K said:

That band would be where I would favour main activity later. I was more on about isolated surface based storm risk in the SW quadrant of the UK.

Oh yea, I see what you mean now. I'm staying put right now though. The skies from the south east to the north east are getting darker and darker. Looking very good at the moment. 

• Like 1

Lots of cloud developing over Market Harborough, sky looking hazy possible shower/storm development South East, North and North West direction's from my location. My thermometer reads 28.4c very little wind, very humid. Looking Northwest looks good for you guys across Northwest England. Maybe!?

I;m in matlock right now, just lit thje bbq doh, few spots but the storm seem to be skirting round the valley ( i hope)

very muggy, carn't believe how the two cells popped up in 15 mins

The Dunkirk web cam about an hour ago showed the storm head development just off shore over the Channel. Looks like an explosive development that one on the cloud sat.

C